Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we have a realistic chance of getting Poch?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If we were only prepared to pay Potter sub £2m salary, and now suddenly we're going to entertain a £7m+ salary, it begs the question of whether loyalty should have extended to offering Potter a fat contract to keep the vultures at bay?

Finishing 9th there quite possibly should have been a big contract offer on Potter's desk and a throwing the cash around in the transfer window. That is if you believe Pochettino is in the frame of course...

He isn't in the frame because it isn't going to suddenly be our model of doing things. The appointment will come out of the left field, and that person won't have a 'transfer war chest', they'll have our typical little finds and discoveries.

It's far from a criticism of how TB is choosing to run the club at all, they are eye watering year on year losses afterall, but that is how he's running it, top 10 on a budget, and it's been working so far. Poch can rest easy on his gardening leave.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
We're a top 4 club Potterchino would indeed fancy a go here it all depends on whether we can then dump the clubs entire philosophy and start buying players who want 150k a week,I suppose most top managers nowadays think that's the only way to be much cop.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Some of us have a growth mindset, some of us don’t.

I am sure Potter thought the same as you about the possibility of managing a top 6 elite club.

I’m not sure Potter did, you don’t uproot a young family to Sweden without having massive self belief, he’s upgraded with every job he’s taken, whereas for Poch this would be like Potter going from us back to Ostersunds. Poch will almost certainly be targeting an ‘elite’ level club, not BHA.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Why would we want him. He has one **** all in the Premier League which includes managing Spurs for a few years. No thanks

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/spo...tter-step-forward-mauricio-pochettino-3841631

IMHO it’s a clear statement of intent that we wish to remain in the Top 10 and even push further on.

It’s the most unique and significant appointment in the clubs history, we can’t look back and say, Potter was unknown and untried, we were a different entity, as much as it grieves me to say it we were bottom 6 all day long with Hughton, a change was needed, with a few bumps in the road it’s clearly worked with GP, but now we have to replace a Top 10 manager with another proven Top 10 manager..

'For me, one man ticks all the boxes... step forward Mauricio Pochettino."

Is that the end of the article? Genuine question because there's no explanation of why it should be him, what he would bring to the club or what the club would offer him. Or, in fact, anything. The only mention of his name are the last two words of the article :shrug:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We're a top 4 club Potterchino would indeed fancy a go here it all depends on whether we can then dump the clubs entire philosophy and start buying players who want 150k a week,I suppose most top managers nowadays think that's the only way to be much cop.

Mopo started with players on wages nowhere near that, he ditched most the players on high wages as were not hungry enough

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Only chance of getting him here would be by selling it to him on a ‘do a good job here for a couple of seasons and you’ll get a job back in the top 6’ basis. Which is exact what we don’t want.

Isn’t it?

If it persuaded some of our promising youngsters to stay rather than leave post Potter, I would take it.

If a lower profile’name’, came in, as a player I would be reevaluating the clubs ambition.

(I realise lower profile doesn’t equate to bad, but that’s not how I may feel as a player).

I would take Potch for two years.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If we were only prepared to pay Potter sub £2m salary, and now suddenly we're going to entertain a £7m+ salary, it begs the question of whether loyalty should have extended to offering Potter a fat contract to keep the vultures at bay?

Finishing 9th there quite possibly should have been a big contract offer on Potter's desk and a throwing the cash around in the transfer window. That is if you believe Pochettino is in the frame of course...

He isn't in the frame because it isn't going to suddenly be our model of doing things. The appointment will come out of the left field, and that person won't have a 'transfer war chest', they'll have our typical little finds and discoveries.

It's far from a criticism of how TB is choosing to run the club at all, they are eye watering year on year losses afterall, but that is how he's running it, top 10 on a budget, and it's been working so far. Poch can rest easy on his gardening leave.

Yes, perfectly fair, but if I’m Potch the longer I’m out of the limelight the less relevant I become. I’m sitting on a tidy pay-off from PSG, so perhaps I’ll lower my expectations financially in order to take on an exciting project……. Possibly 😉

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Good grief. Being 4th after 6 games does not make us a "top 4 club" any more than Arsenal currently being top makes them Champions. :facepalm:

Any league table at this stage of the season is simply a form guide, nothing more nothing less. If Poch gets the job, or even shows a hint of interest in it, then I'll eat my earlobes.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes, perfectly fair, but if I’m Potch the longer I’m out of the limelight the less relevant I become. I’m sitting on a tidy pay-off from PSG, so perhaps I’ll lower my expectations financially in order to take on an exciting project……. Possibly 😉
Darren Bent said the same his stock is lowering he needs a job and with all the top jobs sewn up he needs to get back in the saddle.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Isn’t it?

If it persuaded some of our promising youngsters to stay rather than leave post Potter, I would take it.

If a lower profile’name’, came in, as a player I would be reevaluating the clubs ambition.

(I realise lower profile doesn’t equate to bad, but that’s not how I may feel as a player).

I would take Potch for two years.

I mean it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but it is virtually certain that we'd be back here again in 2 years.

I'm also not completely sure where this whole 'elite manager' thing comes in with Poch. He did a great job at Saints, and then did well at Spurs for a few years (with some brilliant players), before it all fell apart. Then he failed to win the league with PSG in France to begin with, which is hardly a ringing endorsement.

He seems to be being grouped in the same lot with the likes of Mourinho, Guardiola, Klopp etc. I think the only thing he has in common with that calibre of manager is the wages he'd have been paid at PSG.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I mean it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but it is virtually certain that we'd be back here again in 2 years.

I'm also not completely sure where this whole 'elite manager' thing comes in with Poch. He did a great job at Saints, and then did well at Spurs for a few years (with some brilliant players), before it all fell apart. Then he failed to win the league with PSG in France to begin with, which is hardly a ringing endorsement.

He seems to be being grouped in the same lot with the likes of Mourinho, Guardiola, Klopp etc. I think the only thing he has in common with that calibre of manager is the wages he'd have been paid at PSG.

Though he turned Spurs round from a mid-table team, to a top 4, champions league finalist.

Besides, in two years time perhaps Bruno may be/feel ready.

Edit - sorry [MENTION=2095]Commander[/MENTION] for some reason my eyes skipped the Spurs sentence in your response…..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here