Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we do worse with Vicente on the pitch?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
While I am not suggesting he should turn into a Hammond/Navarro/Crofts style workhorse, people tend to overlook how often he loses the ball and then doesn't do anything to regain the ball because of some flashes of magic. A luxury player. He can do things no other player in our side can do but does not do it often enough. This is why we tend to play worse with him in the side.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If we're playing Watford then no way, Vydra would rape him with his pace

Vydra is a striker, Vicente an attacking midfielder...?!

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I cannot believe that there is still this 'argument' on this forum.

Vicente is an amazing player who can turn a game our way with a passage of play such as we have never previously associated with BHA.

Accordingly, and obviously in my opinion, whilst he is still an Albion player, we should rejoice in that as we will unlikely ever ever again see another footballer so talented wearing the stripes.

However, I think we should leave it up to Gus Poyet as to whether or not he starts or comes on as an impact sub !

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Although stats don't lie they are pretty meaningless
We are a much better unit without Mackail-Smith in the side
And no-one in the right frame of mind would not have Vicente in the starting line-up, there is no bigger a buzz around the ground when it is known he is on the team sheet

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
His pace probably left him countless years gone. His skill is being able to have a ball glued to his feet and being able to stop and start without ever losing control, shimmying and feinting. He still has that in droves. Add the ability to weight a pass of 30 yards into the path of a teammate that scythes a defence open and you have a remarkable player. It might not always work perfectly to have him in our ranks, but when he has the ball the expectations rise of something to happen, and quite often they do. He has the power to excite and i'd be happy for him to stay, maybe at a cheaper rate, if he and his kin are settled and merry.

Now all we have to do is to get him to make that pass to someone other than Painter!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Dumb post, I apologise but what I was trying to say was basically Vicente can be very slow which could hamper our chance creation

No apology required mate. Vicente just doesn't play enough games....still a huge buzz when he plays though. Just a crying shame we can't get 20 plus games a season out of him. But there we go, be thankful we got to see someone of his undoubted quality playing for the Albion.

Also for those who live by stats and can't see quality when it's presented in front of you, Liverpool are better without Suarez apparently.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
To be fair, the stats do show that we perform much better with him not in the side than with him in the side.

This is correct and to be honest I've completely gone off the guy (he really hasn't done much for us) and hope he does not return next season.

Goodbye Vicente.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
His pace probably left him countless years gone. His skill is being able to have a ball glued to his feet and being able to stop and start without ever losing control, shimmying and feinting. He still has that in droves. Add the ability to weight a pass of 30 yards into the path of a teammate that scythes a defence open and you have a remarkable player. It might not always work perfectly to have him in our ranks, but when he has the ball the expectations rise of something to happen, and quite often they do. He has the power to excite and i'd be happy for him to stay, maybe at a cheaper rate, if he and his kin are settled and merry.

A perfectly summed up post...

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
No apology required mate. Vicente just doesn't play enough games....still a huge buzz when he plays though. Just a crying shame we can't get 20 plus games a season out of him. But there we go, be thankful we got to see someone of his undoubted quality playing for the Albion.

Also for those who live by stats and can't see quality when it's presented in front of you, Liverpool are better without Suarez apparently.

Cheers, it is a shame he hasn't truly lived up to the expectations we set of him but as long as he produces when it matters I'm not complaining. Liverpool certainly missed Suarez today! My mate who supports them called the Albion-Palace rivalry "a shit rivalry" the other day. Hope he enjoyed the 500 mile round trip to see them draw 0-0 :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Vi-cen-te.

Not hard, is it?
Ah, I like a game of hang-man. First is an 'n', but I always get that last one wrong. I always think there should be an 'l' and an 'o' in there somewhere.

I can see it now...he comes on in the 85th minute in the final, we're trailing 2-1...he scores a brace with seconds to spare, receives mega-money contract for his troubles then breaks his leg in the first match of next season :(
Why the unhappy face, I'd be delighted with that (sorry about the leg Vicente, and thanks for winning the final).

I have a fantasy about next season in The Premier League, hence the fantasy bit.

We keep Vicente, and he's miraculously fit for 37 games, only missing Sunderland away on a Tuesday night in January, and us being a little grumpy about it.
Grumpy? I'd be ****ing furious.

Last edited:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Why the unhappy face, I'd be delighted with that (sorry about the leg Vicente, and thanks for winning the final).

The unhappy face was for the leg break and being out for most of the season, not winning the final! That would have been a :albion2::Dpunk::guitar::rock::ascarf::bounce::rave::rave::rave::clap2::clap2::clap2::drink::drink::drink::clap::clap::banana::banana::O:O:O situation!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here