Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we actually want to go up ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The best thing about being in the Prem rather than the Championship is that the threat of relegation wouldn't fill will me with dread. Relegation to the Championship? Meh. Some decent places to visit, decent grounds, and still quality football, but competitive too. Relegation to league one though? No thanks. I've had enough of league one personally and don't want to entertain going back for another 15 years.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
I totally get the OP even though I'd like to get promoted.

Football below the Prem is a bit more 'real'.A bit more 'family' a bit more 'community'.
Like he said in the Prem you get the mercenary players and plastic fans.There will be a huge scramble for tickets for the big games when Man U,Chelsea etc come from their fans who live local. There would be a higher proportion of Brighton fans at games in the Championship rather than in the Prem

Some people also just want to see a good football game and don't care too much about who it's against.Some people just follow lower league football and don't like the Prem for it's players and managers who only see your club as a stepping stone and the ridiculous wages.

Having said that as I said I prefer the Prem.The buzz for the big games would be amazing and if we ever got in the Europa and got a few big European teams over then who would have thought it.At Brighton.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I've seen us in the top flight, but not as a dyed in the wool supporter. I made that transition in '85-86, thirty seasons ago. I have plenty of memories of Gillingham, losing "big games" against Leyton bloody Orient and lots of good times too.

Now it's time to have some proper experience of the big time. Plenty of clubs have had brief sojourns in the top flight during my time supporting the Albion. Barnsley, Notts County, Cardiff, Reading, Swansea, Hull, Bradford, Wigan, Millwall, Blackburn, Bournemouth, Charlton, Burnley, Portsmouth... None of the above are Bigger than us, but they got to the hallowed land and enjoyed their time. I can't see how any other set of fans in the country deserve it more than us.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I get the impression ( maybe wrongly ) that most of those who don't want promotion so much were there last time we went up to the top division.

I missed that, but did see our relegation in 1983. At the time I thought we'd quickly bounce back :lolol:

33 years of hurt waiting to put that relegation right. Let's get it done now.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I hope none of the players see this thread before tomorrow and Saturday or they may think " what's the point ? "

Of course we want to go up. The whole set up has been based on a long term Premiership status for 5 years. That was always the " mission statement ", we have been " Premiership Ready " in terms of Stadium for 5 years, Training facilities for 2 years and now we finally have a " Premiership in waiting " squad. What is the point as a supporter in not wanting your team to play at the highest level possible ? I want us to go up and more than that I want us to win the Premier league one day as well as the FA Cup and in due course the Champions league. Why not ?

I have waited 33 years after seeing the club in the top flight and an FA Cup Final. Why would Bloom want to build one of the best Stadiums and Training facility in the Country just to be " also rans " He has Ambition, we should also

I also do not understand why people think it will be a 1 season Jolly and automatic relegation. I think we will easily stay up and be in the Premier League for a long time. If Bournemouth can do it with an 11000 Stadium why can't we ?

The hardest thing is getting there in the first place and as we are so close I find the question baffling and ridiculous, no offense

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here