Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Do Europeans think the British are arrogant?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If you build thousands of cheap resorts with karaoke and bingo nights and free sangria and chips then yes, chances are you’ll attract ghastly people intent on bringing their council estate vibe with them.

Don’t shit on the floor and complain about flies.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Yes, that is right -"inselaffen"(island apes) is the expression, but to be fair, I only ever heard this rarely and it is so insulting, that the vast majority of Germans would not say this.
👍thanks. Well I knew these guys pretty well and it was bierkeller banter I guess.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Spanish bloke: "I love cooking
Bakero: "Me too!"
Spaniard: "Oh, I mean actually cooking. Not just burgers and hotdogs".
They can talk....

Long story short Mr & Mrs Freakout were in Pineda just along the coast from Barcelona for a Psychobilly festival.
we were walking back from the beach bar to get ready for the evening concert and Mrs Freakout said she was hungry, we popped into a nice looking cafe for a quick bite, everything was meat based on the menu however the owner said he could make a vegetarian pizza for the wife.
He walked from behind the counter, up to a freezer, took out a pizza box and walked back behind the counter, took the pizza out of the box and started to flick off the frozen bits of pepperoni and chicken, needless to say we laughed and left.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Used to visit a Dutch warehouse for work.
Security code on the entrance door was 1945

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Are you familiar with the word "guiri"?
Nope, but I have just Googled it. Not sure it changes anything I've experienced.

I think there is a common distrust/like of foreigners when they settle anywhere. We're rather good at not liking foreigners, but in reality when we get to meet them down the pub, we can't be more welcoming.

Take a walk around Barcelona and you'll find lots of 'No tourists wanted here' grafitti. It's the same in cities like Venice.

I don't think mainland Europeans dislike Brits anymore than anyone else and certainly no more or less than we dislike other Europeans. But as I say, it's all a bluster most of the time. Put human beings in front of one another and we tend to try and get along.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My German colleagues once let slip that they call us the Island Monkies. Presumably because our parliament are always noisy and stupid, and also because we don't know (oh wait, choose not to ... in order to fleece the public for extra profit) how to build solid houses and apartments.
Calling @Herr Tubthumper for confirmation or denial
I am aware of the term, inselaffe, but have never heard anyone use it other than Brits. I have a feeling it's more the older generation of Germans who use it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Nope, but I have just Googled it. Not sure it changes anything I've experienced.

I think there is a common distrust/like of foreigners when they settle anywhere. We're rather good at not liking foreigners, but in reality when we get to meet them down the pub, we can't be more welcoming.

Take a walk around Barcelona and you'll find lots of 'No tourists wanted here' grafitti. It's the same in cities like Venice.

I don't think mainland Europeans dislike Brits anymore than anyone else and certainly no more or less than we dislike other Europeans. But as I say, it's all a bluster most of the time. Put human beings in front of one another and we tend to try and get along.

100%

I wasn't trying to say they don't like us on a personal level, just that lots of stereotypes exist. Next time you're in Barcelona ask someone to describe the average guiri. They might shy away from it or they may reel off a litany of none too flattering comments on our behaviour, dress sense and food.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
100%

I wasn't trying to say they don't like us on a personal level, just that lots of stereotypes exist. Next time you're in Barcelona ask someone to describe the average guiri. They might shy away from it or they may reel off a litany of none too flattering comments on our behaviour, dress sense and food.

Oddly, it's the Argentinians and Latin Americans that seem to be coming in for the most 'stick' in Barcelona. I liken the relationship they have with them to the one that Londoners have with Aussies.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Do Europeans find the British arrogant?
When in Spain, many of them act like they come from a higher culture. A superiority complex. We make fun of them.

7K views
View 54 upvotes
1 of 6 answers

Upvote
https://www.quora.com/profile/Steven-Hall-218
Steven Hall
· Aug 3

I have always viewd the British as Europe’s second hand America.
self righteous, arrogant, superiority complex, etc

Kosaras Ingrid
· Sep 20

Disgusting delusional people really. They don’t know shit about the world, they think they are some kind of superior race like the nazis used to think. f*** them, just ban them from entering your country. I’ve been on holiday to Spain, beautiful place with beautiful people, but this inbred animals only create mayhem wherever they go.
Weird thread started by one of the weirdest posters out there 😵‍💫

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm British and I think *some* fellow Brits are hugely arrogant. I've seen – and heard – it abroad, including talking about the empire, war and how everyone should be expected to speak English. But to lump a whole nation into one trait is ridiculous – there are arrogant people from all countries.

On the flip side, I've encountered arrogant people from probably every country I've been too. Such is life :shrug:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Used to visit a Dutch warehouse for work.
Security code on the entrance door was 1945

Do you have an exact address? We could go Dutch on trip expenses.

Oh, btw, I didn't really read the Quora subject title. I thought it said "Do Europeans think the British are aerodynamic?"

Oooppps!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
They can talk....

Long story short Mr & Mrs Freakout were in Pineda just along the coast from Barcelona for a Psychobilly festival.
we were walking back from the beach bar to get ready for the evening concert and Mrs Freakout said she was hungry, we popped into a nice looking cafe for a quick bite, everything was meat based on the menu however the owner said he could make a vegetarian pizza for the wife.
He walked from behind the counter, up to a freezer, took out a pizza box and walked back behind the counter, took the pizza out of the box and started to flick off the frozen bits of pepperoni and chicken, needless to say we laughed and left.

Spain certainly isn't a veggie paradise. Whenever we have meat-eschewing visitors, nights out have to be planned carefully. Vegans in particular really have really limited options and I'm in a city of 200,000 people. It was the same in Seville (pop. ~ 700k).

It's no surprise that Spain tops the European rankings for meat consumption. Especially as all the dietary advice over here stresses the importance of meat in a blanced diet.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 163829.png

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Utter bollocks.

Define "Europeans". Define "the British".

Quora, with its endless stream of inane questions based on racial, national, gender stereotypes — nearly all, it seems, from naive American kids — will drive you absolutely nuts. The nut jobs who respond express equally naive and evidence-free opinion. Stay well away.

People get paid to write shit in Quora to get the masses riled.
Are the pickpockets and thieves of Barcelona beautiful people? Good and bad everywhere you go.

Do Europeans think the British are arrogant?

Who gives a f*** what they think.

No, arrogance at all, no.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Do we come across arrogant as a nation: Probably, expecting or at least hoping most countries we go to will speak English. I Generally find brits abroad as pretty scummy at times.

I was speaking to the owner of one Bar we were in, in Amsterdam and I said did he mind all the Brighton fans in his bar, he said not at all and showed me some pictures from the night before, said we were a great set of fans however He would never let Liverpool fans back in his bar again, as they were arseholes in his words and they ruined the city centre.

In Spain earlier in the Summer and had a great time with locals in a village just outside Marbella, I spoke some very simple broken Spanish they did the same in English, but we had some beers, played some Backgammon, shared some beers and had a lovely time.

If you are worried that we are perceived poorly across Europe, Carry yourself better and I'm sure you will change peoples opinions on what they think of you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you are worried that we are perceived poorly across Europe, Carry yourself better and I'm sure you will change peoples opinions on what they think of you.
Agree. Most of Berlin now thinks the English are a erudite, sophisticated, cultured and stylish nation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here