Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Do Europeans think the British are arrogant?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Do Europeans find the British arrogant?
When in Spain, many of them act like they come from a higher culture. A superiority complex. We make fun of them.

7K views
View 54 upvotes
1 of 6 answers

Upvote
https://www.quora.com/profile/Steven-Hall-218
Steven Hall
· Aug 3

I have always viewd the British as Europe’s second hand America.
self righteous, arrogant, superiority complex, etc

Kosaras Ingrid
· Sep 20

Disgusting delusional people really. They don’t know shit about the world, they think they are some kind of superior race like the nazis used to think. f*** them, just ban them from entering your country. I’ve been on holiday to Spain, beautiful place with beautiful people, but this inbred animals only create mayhem wherever they go.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Utter bollocks.

Define "Europeans". Define "the British".

Quora, with its endless stream of inane questions based on racial, national, gender stereotypes — nearly all, it seems, from naive American kids — will drive you absolutely nuts. The nut jobs who respond express equally naive and evidence-free opinion. Stay well away.

papachris

I live in europe and I don't agree with the statement at all.
From travelling around the world not only europe I have seen what I call 'little britain' the sort of people who complain the foreigners don't speak English etc. But these people make me embarrassed to be british but they are definitely a minority. In the country where I live british people are very welcome, their main comment would be about our habit to constantly say sorry as a throwaway comment. For them here you only say sorry if you really mean it, otherwise it's like lying

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I live in europe and I don't agree with the statement at all.
From travelling around the world not only europe I have seen what I call 'little britain' the sort of people who complain the foreigners don't speak English etc. But these people naked me embarrassed to be british but they are definitely a minority. In the country where I live british people are very welcome, their main comment would be about our habit yo constantly say sorry as a throwaway comment. For them here you only say sorry if you really mean it, otherwise it's like lying
Screenshot_20231113_063110_Chrome.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No comment :lolol:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Of course you get the odd Anglophile, but here in Spain they generally see us as loud, oafish drunks with bad food.

For the most part these stereotypes are based on package holidaymakers on the islands and costas. The majority of Spaniards will never come across that kind of tourist but tales of their antics spread far and wide.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Of course you get the odd Anglophile, but here in Spain they generally see us as loud, oafish drunks with bad food.

For the most part these stereotypes are based on package holidaymakers on the islands and costas. The majority of Spaniards will never come across that kind of tourist but tales of their antics spread far and wide.
I think that depends on where in Spain you are writing from.

This is a bit of a ridiculous thread. After all, I think some Brits are loud and oafish too.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I think a lot of brits think the same about said chavs in costas.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Not really. Like I said, this stereotype is widely held across the country even by those that never come into contact with those tourists.
Strange. I have family living out in Catalonia and have not encountered such stereotypical views.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve read/watched pieces on European cultural differences where neighbours of France eg Germany, consider the French to be arrogant. Then getting to know French folk in the Alps, the locals and visitors from Provence deemed Parisians as horribly arrogant. I once spent a summer on the Algarve where we got friendly with the Dutch community, they loathed the arrogant Germans.

Interesting to get genuine views from others.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Someone else said it... good and bad everywhere,... Brits are no worse, in crowds, than almost every nation,... I have received and given sociable vibes wherever I travel,... not least in the last week in Amsterdam, where I was received very well wherever I stopped to chat n chew.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Just got back from Paris, they were mostly pleasant.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We have some pretty scummie Brits that misbehave in the usual spots. Aside of that I don't think we're viewed too badly

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think the Germans have a worse rep in most of Europe, regarding arrogance. Brits probably worse rep for drunkenness and the yobbish behaviour that often comes with that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here