Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Do celebs get paid for guest appearing on panel shows?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
If I’d had to sit in the audience and endure HIGNFY, Buzzcocks, or Mock the Week, I’d have expected at least two grand.

OT, but I used to converse on a TV forum with a guy who worked on Buzzcocks and he said that Sean Hughes was awful. The recordings could take up to two hours and sometimes he’d just sit there in silence for half an hour at a time. Also, by the end of it a lot of the audience had walked out.

Other panel game gossip from him: no one liked Mark Lamarr or Frankie Boyle.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I was on Never Mind the Buzzcocks many moons ago and I got paid £65.

Does this make me a celeb?

God, I hope not!

I’ve no idea who you are so, yes, you’re probably a celebrity. :D

Were you on the panel or in the identity parade?

Any behind the scenes gossip?

I’ve no idea who you are so, yes, you’re probably a celebrity. :D

Were you on the panel or in the identity parade?

Any behind the scenes gossip?

Identity parade. Up till the previous day when the agent called me I'd ner seen or even heard of the programme.

But I had heard of this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyMnIip-9fY

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Does [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] count as a celeb? He must be raking it in on all the TV and radio appearances... [emoji6]

I've done about 750 radio, TV and newspaper appearances this calendar year to date. 99% of them don't pay at all, highest I have had was €50 from RTE.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've done about 750 radio, TV and newspaper appearances this calendar year to date. 99% of them don't pay at all, highest I have had was €50 from RTE.

I'd be saying that too, on a public forum.

I take it you prefer the George Graham approach to football finances. :lolol:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
What about a Politician or Newspaper journalist appearing on HIGNFY? Do Strictly pay their celebs? Hope not, that’s like being selected for your country!

Lembit Opik commented on being able to bill a fee to HIGNFY after he lost his seat, which suggest that, at least back then, MPs weren't paid for doing it. Expenses I'd expect.

RTE are an outlier for paying nearly everyone that appears. On the private side of the fence (radio), we don't pay anyone except our own staff - even some regular spot contributors are doing it for personal promotion!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Lembit Opik commented on being able to bill a fee to HIGNFY after he lost his seat, which suggest that, at least back then, MPs weren't paid for doing it. Expenses I'd expect.

RTE are an outlier for paying nearly everyone that appears. On the private side of the fence (radio), we don't pay anyone except our own staff - even some regular spot contributors are doing it for personal promotion!

I don't ask for a fee anyway, job involves public engagement so it goes with the territory, as you will be able to see on Sky Sports News today at 16:10 or Radio Four at 8pm tonight!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Gary Neville started it off for England years ago. All players pay for playing for England goes to charity.

Yep all the 'wages' for England squad have been donated to charity for 20 years probably now

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I don't ask for a fee anyway, job involves public engagement so it goes with the territory, as you will be able to see on Sky Sports News today at 16:10 or Radio Four at 8pm tonight!

Ahhh the Mesut Ozil of the Football finance world has arrived[emoji23][emoji23]

Joking aside good work as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I'm not sure about that, not even if they are presenting it.

The going rate for panel work is £2-£5k a show.

I'm reliably informed that the going rate for HIGNFY about 10-15yrs ago was £600 so a couple of grand sounds about right to me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
summary so far: some do, some dont, depends on the programme, fee ranges from bag of crisps to 40k.

hope it was useful research. :lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I thought the presenting fee for HIGNFY was a bag of Charles finest hoover dust and a pair of brazen husseys for 12 hours. No Snow, No show!

Have done TV advert work in the dim and distant past, got pretty well paid, fed and watered.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I thought the presenting fee for HIGNFY was a bag of Charles finest hoover dust and a pair of brazen husseys for 12 hours. No Snow, No show!

Have done TV advert work in the dim and distant past, got pretty well paid, fed and watered.

Kevin Day is the associate producer and writes for HIGNFY. Have heard some eyebrow raising stories from behind the scenes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can we turn this into a thread about celebs being spotted acting like bell ends while the cameras are turned off?

There's lots of stuff online about James Corden being a massive tosser the second "CUT" is shouted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here