Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DK Albion history re write

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Actually in retrospect no it wouldn't be re written

I said the wrong thing, faceless people got involved, possibly even you Vegster, and I was punished.

Thankfully after a period of time common sense kicked in and everything was sorted out.

Except for the career of the professional,the one doing it for beer money stayed sorted.

Feb 14, 2010
To be honest Harty, I couldn't care less how or where Adams was sacked in his second spell. Adams was a long ball hoofer of a manager who had Zamora playing 4th tier football. The Adams style of football is why England are rubbish and I for one was bloody pleased when he went and we ended up with Wilkins who understood the value of passing the ball to a bloke in the same shirt. Adams is a decent bloke with the going on marches and understanding the efforts of the fans but lets be honest, he believes in running around and smacking the ball into some far distance. He for me knows sod all about football and the fact that we have managers like that just shows how bad English football can be.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Ihaven't seen anything about the DK book. Does he elaborate about Ivor Caplin sticking his nose up his rear passage so that he could end up as an MP - and then disappear without repaying some dodgy expenses he (allegedly) claimed?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
According to the way DK tells it in the book he didn't sack Micky - if true he had nothing to consult the other directors about.

MA "You've been a great chairman to work for. But I'm putting your position in jeapordy now because you're defending me. I don't want to put you through it any more. And I don't want to put myself through it - to feel that I've got to win the next two matches or I'm out. It would be better if I leave now.

DK "Micky, is that what you really want?"

MA "Yes, that's what I want"

DK "Then we'll make it by mutual consent"

It certainly wouldn't be logical to sack a manager the day before a match. You need to give someone a few days at least to prepare a team, even a caretaker, and longer if possible. That's why international breaks are so often bad news for managers on the brink ...

Ihaven't seen anything about the DK book. Does he elaborate about Ivor Caplin sticking his nose up his rear passage so that he could end up as an MP - and then disappear without repaying some dodgy expenses he (allegedly) claimed?
Crediting DK with getting Ivor Caplin elected as MP for Hove is a bit wide of the mark. Being Leader of Hove Borough Council was Caplin's stepping stone to parliament.

Incidentally, the account of the 1997 Hereford game in DK's book completely fails to mention his pre-match visit (with Ivor Caplin) to a local supermarket cafeteria - which was the first time I ever met DK. DK thanked the young people in the Bracknell posse for coming to the game. I'd known Ivor Caplin for some years, through working in local government, so took the opportunity to have a bit of a chinwag with the two of them.

As for Ivor Caplin's expenses ... he's repaid the sum that was owing, which was significantly less than originally alleged. The details are here:-
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmselect/cmmemest/926/926.pdf

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
The Adams style of football is why England are rubbish and I for one was bloody pleased when he went and we ended up with Wilkins who understood the value of passing the ball to a bloke in the same shirt.

Adams replaced Wilkins - which, for the exact reasons the rest of your post highlighted, was a totally mental move.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I dont care if DK sacked Adams with or without board consent, or mutual consent or whatever. The secomd time round the guy was a disaster "this was the leeds utd we lost to" "i know who my enemies are" "the other team were bigger than us" thank god he was ditched, however he was ditched. He had to go.

He took a raw wilkins side amd took us backwards. Thankfully SALDE got the ball rolling again.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Adams was a disgrace the 2nd time around, set us back two years in watching decent football terms.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I dont care if DK sacked Adams with or without board consent, or mutual consent or whatever. The secomd time round the guy was a disaster "this was the leeds utd we lost to" "i know who my enemies are" "the other team were bigger than us" thank god he was ditched, however he was ditched. He had to go.

He took a raw wilkins side amd took us backwards. Thankfully SALDE got the ball rolling again.

You forgot " the players need a hug" and the facetious "I didn't know I had to be 6th (?) "in October (?)

I do remember the op being an Adams man through and through and defending him to the hilt almost to the end. In fact, didn't the windowlicker comment come about as a reaction from the op to the fans who thought Adams was shit the 2nd time around and wanted him gone long before he was???

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You forgot " the players need a hug" and the facetious "I didn't know I had to be 6th (?) "in October (?)

I do remember the op being an Adams man through and through and defending him to the hilt almost to the end. In fact, didn't the windowlicker comment come about as a reaction from the op to the fans who thought Adams was shit the 2nd time around and wanted him gone long before he was???

Thank you! I was trying to remember the adamsisms and the top by october quote was a killer.

Harty was an Adams man as was Naylor and his golf chum MAGOO.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Sorry, probably being thick here, but how are these two events connected?

Which Harry Redknapp is this though?

The one who claimed in the tax court case that he was a technophobe that didn't even know how to text a message, OR.......

The one who claimed to receive text messages from Gerrard and Rooney saying they wished he got the England job?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I think the licker comment was due to someone on NSC saying that Alan Ball should be manager, even though Ball had been six feet under for about 3 years at the time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
The backing of Adams to the hilt by some was absolutely incredible - alarm bells should have been ringing after that Walsall home game.

Interestingly, I heard just after we'd won Division Two in 2002 that Dick Knight was going to move the earth in an attempt to get Adams back to be the first manager at Falmer. Whether that was true by the time he'd struggled through at Leicester and Coventry is anyones guess, but Wilkins sacking and the fact it took us back by two seasons still must rank as one of the most stupid decisions taken in recent times.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think the licker comment was due to someone on NSC saying that Alan Ball should be manager, even though Ball had been six feet under for about 3 years at the time.

Perhaps they meant the american screenwriter who, after successes with six feet under and american beauty was riding high with True Blood around the time Adams' second run came to an end. A proven track record of success is a plus! (Granted, it was a proven track record in another field, but still...)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here