Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Djokovic held at airport

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I must be missing something. Without a valid visa, he would never have been allowed on the plane. So therefore he had a valid visa. Which became invalid whilst in transit? Right-o.
It's all a bit Chicken and Egg surely? in order to get the visa he has to prove his vaccination status as either Vaccinated or exempt. So, this was either an expensive gamble ( first class tickets for him and his team of coaches and physios etc) or an attempt to bluff it.

He has the right to refuse to be vaccinated while Australia has the right to insist upon vaccination as a condition of entry. Ultimately the country sets the rules even if they are right or wrong, so this result is inevitable.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I must be missing something. Without a valid visa, he would never have been allowed on the plane. So therefore he had a valid visa. Which became invalid whilst in transit? Right-o.

You really think airline check in staff in another country know the ins and outs of what is a valid visa to Australia in the current climate and are going to challenge a world famous sports superstar? I don’t :shrug:

He had a visa so they let him board imo

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Unfortunately, Mrs GB loves her reality telly and sometimes watches "Border Force Australia", which mainly consists of Chinese people having interesting plants removed from their luggage.

However, in every episode there seems to be someone having their visa checked on the airside of the Australian airport and being refused because of it. Either because of a previously refused entry or overstay, an incorrect entry on the form (as per Djokovic) or inconsistency between the visa, the landing card and the interview story. I can even visualise the interview room and tone of interview used for him.

This also tallies with my year living in Sydney on a visa that meant I had to leave and re-enter every three months. The visa was checked on the Aussie side at re-entry- NEVER at the departing airport. Two of our visa breaks were to Fiji and New Caledonia and the "border guards" there can barely be arsed to get out of their chairs.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
The visa application is an automated process - as long as the right boxes were ticked, the visa would have been granted. However the onus was then on Djokovic to provide all of the necessary proof and documentation upon arrival in Melbourne.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The visa application is an automated process - as long as the right boxes were ticked, the visa would have been granted. However the onus was then on Djokovic to provide all of the necessary proof and documentation upon arrival in Melbourne.

Is that right even for a sports person or entertainer or whatever? Surely they aren't just applying for tourist visas or whatever?

I only ask as I once ended up on a flight with Little Mix and was stood behind them at US immigration and it was clear to them they had some kind of special visas with them as they were working there or whatever

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Is that right even for a sports person or entertainer or whatever? Surely they aren't just applying for tourist visas or whatever?

I only ask as I once ended up on a flight with Little Mix and was stood behind them at US immigration and it was clear to them they had some kind of special visas with them as they were working there or whatever

Wow! Did you get their autographs Springal?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Wow! Did you get their autographs Springal?

No but I did spend the flight adjacent to Jesy so spent most of the flight staring at her. What I will say is there is a LOT of make up involved in a few of them to be 'stage ready'

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Sorry I don't wish to derail the thread but honestly WTF is that supposed to be?

I Googled "quarantine hotel food". Not sure as to precisely what kind of meal it claims to be. I can see what appears to be pasta or hula-hoops; I'm not quite sure what that slimy, slightly translucent beige thing is.

Bon apetit!

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia

It would be a temporary work visa, but still submitted online through the Department of Home Affairs website.

From an article on The Age newspaper website…

“According to the federal government, the approval for the visas was an automated process and it was always up to individuals to prove their vaccination status or valid exemptions on arrival. Border Force regularly turns away people who cannot meet their visa requirements.

“Rules are rules and there are no special cases,” Prime Minister Scott Morrison said. “I want to thank the border officers for doing their job.”

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
So he has to wait until Monday to learn his (inevitable) fate? Kicked out of Oz.

I've got my booster jab that day and I can't bloody wait (as in excited!) to do normal things again. Getting a haircut, shopping in a busy supermarket, going to football (although probably give it a few weeks). I've got an underlying health condition of anaemia. I don't get a certificate from my doctor saying that I should have my jab earlier. I have to wait my turn at Clair Hall and I don't expect any special 'jumping the queue'. Living like a hermit this week is something I just have to do with the scary number of infections - and back working next week can't come soon enough.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Nope, he is an idiot like the rest of you. This ‘cold’ is still killing people.
If your most loved one died from covid, would you still be so nonchalant? I bet you wouldn’t.

and not just directly - 17k hospital beds occupied mainly by unvaccinated and denying many people urgent treatment for life threatening diseases...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Well done Australia.... though I suspect there is a large slice of political opportunism from Scott Morrison

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
So he has to wait until Monday to learn his (inevitable) fate? Kicked out of Oz.

I've got my booster jab that day and I can't bloody wait (as in excited!) to do normal things again. Getting a haircut, shopping in a busy supermarket, going to football (although probably give it a few weeks). I've got an underlying health condition of anaemia. I don't get a certificate from my doctor saying that I should have my jab earlier. I have to wait my turn at Clair Hall and I don't expect any special 'jumping the queue'. Living like a hermit this week is something I just have to do with the scary number of infections - and back working next week can't come soon enough.

Are you any good at Tennis? There might be a slot open in the Aussie Open on Monday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here