Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Divock Origi

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Heard rumours he was making squawking noises when he was in the changing room.

Put the 2 together and that might suggest something?

I heard he swooped in over Milner's shoulder and nicked his chips while he was chatting to Mo Salah

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This is the fella, I think would fit into the team without all the hype that would come with Abraham and buy back conditions that possibly come with Billy Brewster...

Any further news

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This is the fella, I think would fit into the team without all the hype that would come with Abraham and buy back conditions that possibly come with Billy Brewster...

Any further news

Chelsea & City pretty much introduced the buy back stuff into English football, if Abraham left I think he would be a candidate to have a clause like that as well.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Chelsea & City pretty much introduced the buy back stuff into English football, if Abraham left I think he would be a candidate to have a clause like that as well.

I wouldn't be particularly happy if we picked up a player with a clause like that. Whilst we would be getting a decent player for now, to me it would feel as if we're basically going to be getting paid for developing their player. I guess while we wouldn't lose out of the deal it's hardly building the foundation of youth Potter wants for the stable future of our club. Unless he turns out to be s***, then we're screwed either way. Can't see Tony favouring such terms.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I wouldn't be particularly happy if we picked up a player with a clause like that. Whilst we would be getting a decent player for now, to me it would feel as if we're basically going to be getting paid for developing their player. I guess while we wouldn't lose out of the deal it's hardly building the foundation of youth Potter wants for the stable future of our club. Unless he turns out to be s***, then we're screwed either way. Can't see Tony favouring such terms.

Its obviously not optimal, but I dont think its too bad either. If he does really well, the performances will help the team and the club will earn x2 or x3 on that buy back. If he does well but not well enough to be bought back, you have a decent player. If he is shit, he is shit, but at least likely cheaper shit than if there wasnt a clause.

Most buy back clauses expire after two seasons so if he develops well but perhaps not as quickly as you'd hoped, it would pretty soon become a non-issue.

Plus the players need to agree to come back and I think a lot of players are not that keen to return to a club that were willing to sell them in the first place. More so for Abraham than for Brewster: Abraham was the Chelsea top scorer last season, if they are willing to get rid of him now when he actually did a fine season, its hard to see him being eager at coming back

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Its obviously not optimal, but I dont think its too bad either. If he does really well, the performances will help the team and the club will earn x2 or x3 on that buy back. If he does well but not well enough to be bought back, you have a decent player. If he is shit, he is shit, but at least likely cheaper shit than if there wasnt a clause.

Most buy back clauses expire after two seasons so if he develops well but perhaps not as quickly as you'd hoped, it would pretty soon become a non-issue.

Plus the players need to agree to come back and I think a lot of players are not that keen to return to a club that were willing to sell them in the first place. More so for Abraham than for Brewster: Abraham was the Chelsea top scorer last season, if they are willing to get rid of him now when he actually did a fine season, its hard to see him being eager at coming back

Yes, I get all that, and I can see there could be certain benefits to both sides, but I feel like we'd be bowing with that small club mentality again. If Liverpool don't want him but think they might in a season or two just loan him out. If he has another decent season his value will likely rise. If it were me, I wouldn't buy something from someone that held the rights to take it back from me.
I'd be watching the lad play almost hoping he didn't score in matches when we're leading by an odd goal with five minutes left.
Stability is born from security, not having some rich American club standing vito over our players.
As for Abraham, not a chance in hell he'll rock up here, wages would be silly etc.
Brewster I'd love to see here, but ideally purchased with no aforementioned clause.
But top of my List (of semi-viable current rumours) would be Origi, a player that would no doubt improve our starting eleven.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Any further news

This is also the fella with the speed, strength and power to complement Maupay & Connolly.

Maybe only Edouard floats my boat more than this lad but he’d likely cost at least double.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
You've got to remember that, for a buy back fee to be activated, a player doesn't just have to do well, he has to do so well that Chelsea/Liverpool/whoever want him IN THEIR 1st TEAM. Or that they can still make a significant profit (over and above the buy back amount) by taking him back and selling him on.

If they've been that much of a success for us I really can't see the downside. We will be in a much better position as a result, and will make a decent profit on a player we wouldn't have been able to keep anyway.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes, I get all that, and I can see there could be certain benefits to both sides, but I feel like we'd be bowing with that small club mentality again. If Liverpool don't want him but think they might in a season or two just loan him out. If he has another decent season his value will likely rise. If it were me, I wouldn't buy something from someone that held the rights to take it back from me.
I'd be watching the lad play almost hoping he didn't score in matches when we're leading by an odd goal with five minutes left.
Stability is born from security, not having some rich American club standing vito over our players.
As for Abraham, not a chance in hell he'll rock up here, wages would be silly etc.
Brewster I'd love to see here, but ideally purchased with no aforementioned clause.
But top of my List (of semi-viable current rumours) would be Origi, a player that would no doubt improve our starting eleven.

Of course its a bit of "small club mentality". But sometimes a small club mentality is not the worst thing. Getting a Chelsea reject right back for £3m might not be as fancy as getting a £20m hype player, but it can be equally successful. In some ways, unless you are a top 5 team in the world, every player got a buy back clause. If Chelsea came with a £1bn bid on Lamptey tomorrow, I'd say he would be likely to go. Yes you who followed the team for a long while is used to Bloom keeping his key players, but that changes when the buyers are not Fulham or Burnley but Chelsea or Barcelona.

If the buyback for Brewster would be £40m, I'd say **** it. £60m... we're talking.

But lets agree to pretty much agree, with small variations. : )

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The closer we get to the deadline, the more favourable terms will be for sales. Unfortunately, the value in the window is late in the window when you're not desperate. We're not desperate for new players to come into the team but if Sessegnon is available and if Tammy Abraham is available... I'm sure we'll do deals if they're favourable to us.

I agree that a buy back clause probably isn't in our favour because it weakens our hand.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
This is also the fella with the speed, strength and power to complement Maupay & Connolly.

Maybe only Edouard floats my boat more than this lad but he’d likely cost at least double.

Where I’m at as well. I’m also encouraged there seem to be less rumours about him, which would suggest he’s either not moving or it’s someone like us interested doing our usual secret squirrel stuff

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It seems in this window we are mentioned as interested in a player along with 3 other clubs (usually Villa, Leeds, scum) and then we have a long thread and don’t get mentioned again. Bit worrying, or are they all just bullshit / slight interest.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
It seems in this window we are mentioned as interested in a player along with 3 other clubs (usually Villa, Leeds, scum) and then we have a long thread and don’t get mentioned again. Bit worrying, or are they all just bullshit / slight interest.

I'd imagine we are indeed interested in most of the players we are linked with in the press, but have strict limits on what we value each player to be worth.

Looking at some of the fees Villa and Leeds have parted with this summer, it looks like they have overpaid. Both Rodrigo and Watkins look to me to be overpriced.

Don't forget Tony has a whole other business that assesses footballers, so I'm confident he knows a player's true value and how that balances with our needs.

Im pretty relaxed and still expect us to make a leftfield striker signing that will surprise us all.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I'd imagine we are indeed interested in most of the players we are linked with in the press, but have strict limits on what we value each player to be worth.

Looking at some of the fees Villa and Leeds have parted with this summer, it looks like they have overpaid. Both Rodrigo and Watkins look to me to be overpriced.

Don't forget Tony has a whole other business that assesses footballers, so I'm confident he knows a player's true value and how that balances with our needs.

Im pretty relaxed and still expect us to make a leftfield striker signing that will surprise us all.

I really can't see Bloom paying the money quoted for this bloke. He looks good but not that good. Considering how uncertain times are right now with this pandemic, it just doesn't seem the sort of thing Bloom would gamble so much money on, especially as this could be a season which doesn't get to the end line.

Getting someone under the radar is what I'm expecting and confident we will achieve. Typical Leeds to splash that sort of cash on a player during times like now.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If we're in with those clubs and offering to double a player's wages to 50-60k and pay their 15-20M value, I have no doubt the likes of villa and leeds would just offer 100k a week and 30-40k price instantly taking us out of the equation.

Not relevant to Origi probably but some of the other names mentioned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here