Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Division 1 odds next season

Reinelt 62

Jul 5, 2003
Bet365 have us at 50/1 to win the thing outright :p

Only Gillingham, Rotherham, and Crewe have longer odds at 100/1...

Finish fourth from bottom. Suits me :ascarf:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We have to take a look at the likes of Stoke City.
They went up from D2 via the playoffs, survived the first season back in D1 by the skin of their teeth, and then finished comfortably mid-table last season.

We are rightly amongst the favourites to drop back down - but this time, we have a competent manager in charge for the entire pre-season, and we still have a solid, organised group of players who work and fight for each other. With 2 or 3 good signings in the summer, I'm confident that there WILL be 3 teams worse than us in D1 next season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can't see us getting as many as 5 to be honest, but you're probably right, we may need at least 4. Defence is looking good. Midfield is the main area of concern, and we'll need another striker, whether we keep Iwelumo or not.

Hopefully we'll have the services of Rodger and Blackwell next season, which will help. Three decent D1 standard players added to them and we can make a decent go of it.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
My guess is we will have to get some more loan signings.

Don't we have to pay £100K to Chelsea for Knight following yesterday's promotion? money will spent for us. It will pay Crespo's wages FOR A WEEK!

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I'm sure McGhee and DK are even now phoning Liam Brady about long loan spells for one or two of their best kids. I also trust MMcG's judgement and contacts to feel confident he'll unearth another couple of free agents. I certainly don't think we'll be spending big money on transfers though (or on £10k p/w players on free transfers).

Next season will be just as tough as the last time - but we're 2 years on and those kids that were 'promising' last time are more ready for it now. I think we have a potentially strong back 5 - whichever way you pick them, our midfield needs some help though and we definitely need a third decent forward for the bench/injuries, etc.

Reinelt 62

Jul 5, 2003
RoyalAli said:
William Hill have us at 11-1 for the championship.
:lolol: :jester:

Ah, bless, the sad optimism of early summer.

Bet365 have you at 20/1. Who's your manager now? I forget his name...

Still I have no faith in Bet365 because they have installed Wolves as 9/2 favourites - don't they know that we have a cast iron guarantee of 6 points there for starters?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Well, I am happy at least that we have a decent manager for the start of the Div 1 campaign. I firmly believe that if we had Coppell or McGhee in for pre-season last year, we wouldn't have got relegated in the first place.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well I know I'm being optimistic but I wouldn't write off Albion having another good season. If we got one half decent midfielder and a striker we could do alright. The fact is, our defence is as good as it has been for years. Harding and Virgo have looked better and better as time's gone on and I reckon they'll both cope in the first division. Cullip is already first div quality and so too is Butters in this sort of form.

If we can add competition for places to the rest of the team then you never know...

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Odds? Bookies?

Forget it mate, the only safe bet is the Palace going down next season!

Remember if you can, cast your mind back to the Bristol v Brighton play of finial - May 30th? Bristol were the favourites by a mile, and who won? Thats right we did! Sod the bookies! They no jack.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I just hope we spend more than a season up there, last time if we had Coppell from the start I think we'd have stayed there.

I am confident this time as long as Mcghee doesn't decide to do anything stupid as per S.C

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here