Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Disused railway stations of Sussex

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
While it's true that some lines were unviable, the sheer scale of the Beeching cuts was scandalous. The single biggest act of vandalism inflicted on this country apart from Brexit. It has made Britain immeasurably worse in so many ways. And the transport minister at the time had private stakes in a road building company.

20230401_004642.jpg

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A couple of Mates and I used to get off at Southease and Rodmell to fish in the Ouse.
Wonder if that is still around.
Yes the Ouse is still there!

I had a mate whose family home was at Southease, an absolutely amazing place, quite literally in the middle of nowhere, a beautiful part of Sussex, still almost untouched by urban development.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I wrote a little piece on the Bradshaws directory a while back. If you love disused railways, you may want to source a reprint. You'll get lost for hours.

Even the ABC Railway Guide, a much more recent publication, is almost a work of fiction now. I still have a copy dating back to 1972, and plenty of long forgotten routes and services in that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Some more obscure West Sussex ones here;

They didn't leave Henfield station house, where my Uncle Charlie used to live. I find it heartbreaking to see the houses built there now. Only the steps down remain. His beautiful vegetable patch and lovely orchard all ripped out.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Whilst I too am fond of looking back at the past and wondering what would these lines be like now, it should be noted that many were opened over 140 years ago, years before cars had arrived. Would people still use these lines now though? Indeed, with the lines full at the moment, how would they fit in a Victoria or LB to Ashurst or Heathfield service?
140 years ago pre-dated cars but also pre-dated bicycle transport - yes we had the penny-farthing but a mile on one of them was enough and hills of any incline were "get-off and push" [no gears or brakes].

The other big factor was commuting - the vast majority of folk worked in the town or village where they lived so transport was seldom required.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Why were they shut - presumably not used enough to be viable, so why weren't they used much - just because of the car?
Different reasons. Some local lines were hugely unprofitable, served tiny communities and still would (e.g. Bluebell south of Horsted Keynes), some were shut for housing / road building (Lewes to Uckfield, Horsham to Shoreham), some because the primary traffic dried up (mostly agriculture going to road transport) and some because they were just a bit difficult as lines around them were upgraded (Tunbridge Wells to Eridge).

Last edited:

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
I remember the daily 0918 service from Brighton to Manchester very well. In the late 1980's when l was regularly watching the Albion play away, l often used to take that train to many of our games in the north west to avoid having to change trains, (and stations), in London.

The problem was that it didn't take the direct route north, travelling west of London, stopping at many obscure intermediate stations, and more often than not by the time we pulled into Manchester Piccadilly it was way behind schedule, hence valuable drinking time lost pre match, and on occasion missing the kick off too.
I remember getting the Brighton to Cardiff service to away games at Bristol etc in the 90s. Used to go along the coast then go up through Salisbury and Trowbridge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here