Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dissertation Survey - Gambling Accessibility

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
His Lizard company are very much interested in fixed odds betting.

Really ? I thought they employed an army of maths and IT geeks and did very complex statistical analysis of football matches to essentially show up where they think the bookies have got it slightly wrong, and then take big punts at small margins (with a very high success rate)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Completed as a negative control. I bet that's unusual. :rolleyes:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Accept Uncle Tony is not interested in fixed odds betting, which is where so many problems with gambling start.

I don't know much about his, or his businesses, interests to be honest. All I meant was that it's difficult to take a negative stance towards the influence of gambling / betting in the football industry when the club I support is owned by someone who made, and presumably continues to make, a small chunk of change from gambling.

Moreover I'd just like us to continue being a brilliant little club and buck the trend by saying "No, we don't want to advertise your betting company". It's not like we need their pounds right now.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't know much about his, or his businesses, interests to be honest. All I meant was that it's difficult to take a negative stance towards the influence of gambling / betting in the football industry when the club I support is owned by someone who made, and presumably continues to make, a small chunk of change from gambling.

Moreover I'd just like us to continue being a brilliant little club and buck the trend by saying "No, we don't want to advertise your betting company". It's not like we need their pounds right now.

I think the difference is that with Fixed Odds betting, there's only one winner, and that's not the gambler. With other forms of betting you are playing the odds, using your insights to beat the bookies - and that's what TB is interested in. He's not after screwing someone with a gambling addiction. That's my understanding of the difference.

And I agree with you. I'd like to see the club turn away contentious advertising where it can.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
I think the difference is that with Fixed Odds betting, there's only one winner, and that's not the gambler. With other forms of betting you are playing the odds, using your insights to beat the bookies - and that's what TB is interested in. He's not after screwing someone with a gambling addiction. That's my understanding of the difference.

And I agree with you. I'd like to see the club turn away contentious advertising where it can.

I think you're confusing fixed odds (which can include betting on horses, football etc) with fixed *margin* - ie gaming (roulette etc).

Easy mistake to make, not least because it's in the bookies' interest to blur the line between betting and gaming wherever possible and they've been doing it for years. eg. Fixed Odds Betting Terminals, which are purely for gaming, not betting.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think you're confusing fixed odds (which can include betting on horses, football etc) with fixed *margin* - ie gaming (roulette etc).

Easy mistake to make, not least because it's in the bookies' interest to blur the line between betting and gaming wherever possible and they've been doing it for years. eg. Fixed Odds Betting Terminals, which are purely for gaming, not betting.

You are correct. Thank you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here