• £200-£300

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • £300-£500

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • £500+

Votes: 55 56.7%

• Total voters

Dec 29, 2011
Disposable income is income after tax, as [MENTION=566]Bad Ash[/MENTION] says, the term you want is 'discretionary income'.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I have 300-500 which is not bad considering we have a daughter in full time nursery and I would have more however i opted to work one Saturday in three as opposed to two saturdays in three for less money. The wife has far more disposable income, but works damn hard in the smoke everyday for a local council. We are so lucky and save as much as possible because you never know what is round the corner in todays world, when I was single the amount I had as disposable income was far to much for me to handle in all fairness and I pissed it all up the wall having a damn good time saving diddly squat, which is why I am saving as much as possible now.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
not much, wife lost her job 2 years ago, and we have struggled since, get by each month without having to borrow, but you notice more when things are tight how the cost of living is going up at a dramatic rate and eventually if the wife cant find work, that will be a nightmare for us. But we still have a good life, kids have what they want and we do things as a family all the time.

Hate my job though!!

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Jeez!!! I probably spend $300 a month on food, at an absolute maximum. (£150)

That is for just two of us, and we don't buy the cheapest products. If were were more fruggle we could probably last a month on about $200.
That really surprises me Woodchip. When I visited NZ in 2010 I was surprised how expensive stuff like food appeared to be,especially lamb. I guess living there permanently rather than being a tourist means you know where to shop. Hats off to you though for living so frugally. Just as an aside, isn't £150 approx $300 NZ anyway? Reckon you hit the wrong key eh? Are they going to rebuild the cathedral in Christchucrh eventually do you know? Shortly after I signed a book of condolances for those poor Pike River miners the whole thing fell down..

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
[MENTION=12090]Programme_Seller[/MENTION] 's thread on 'Are you happy with your job?' got me thinking about work/life balance and general life happiness.

For example, I work in a dull job with almost no future prospects or room for promotions etc.. However, after all my monthly outgoings, I have a fair amount of cash to spare. I would most definitely be happy to lose 50-75% of this 'disposable income' if it meant I had a more enjoyable career and ultimately, a better life.

So two questions really;

Firstly, roughly how much (if any) 'disposable' income do have after monthly outgoings (use poll as it's obviously a personal question).
Lastly, would you be happy to take a pay-cut/down-size, to gain a better/happier life?

Love my job, and I have well, well over the top end of "disposable" income, ,as you call it, but I don't p*ss it up a wall, it mainly goes on paying off the balance of my mortgage on my second property - which should be done in a year or two.

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Now retired and self employed wife not working at present,due to surgery on knees(she is a fitness instructor!),so disposable income not as much as it was when we were working.
Was lucky enough to enjoy most of my career and retired just before my 56th birthday.Reached peak of earnings at about age 48 and was very well paid. Never lived the 'high life' even in those days,as you never know what life will bring.
We are comfortable and have sufficient disposable income,but some more wouldn't go amiss!2 offspring still at home and going through university so we try and help them as and when.

J2 BHA

NSC Patron
Jul 28, 2004
In the top band for me. I reckon this is an interesting topic for people to think about as, whilst their are many people who undoubtedly manage their finances very closely, I suspect there will be a good few people like me who don't pay too much attention.

To prove this point and I'm really glad this happened, we're just in the throes of moving house and when working out our monthly finances to check we could comfortably cover the increased costs associated with moving it proved a bit of an eye opener for both me and the mrs. When we sat back and looked it's now made us far more aware of what we spend and since we decided to move house (6 months ago now as it's been a long drawn out process...) we've saved quite a bit without really noticing it. Makes me a bit sick to be honest when I look back over the last few years and realise what we must have spent and I feel a lot happier now we're aware of what we spend.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
In the top band for me. I reckon this is an interesting topic for people to think about as, whilst their are many people who undoubtedly manage their finances very closely, I suspect there will be a good few people like me who don't pay too much attention.

To prove this point and I'm really glad this happened, we're just in the throes of moving house and when working out our monthly finances to check we could comfortably cover the increased costs associated with moving it proved a bit of an eye opener for both me and the mrs. When we sat back and looked it's now made us far more aware of what we spend and since we decided to move house (6 months ago now as it's been a long drawn out process...) we've saved quite a bit without really noticing it. Makes me a bit sick to be honest when I look back over the last few years and realise what we must have spent and I feel a lot happier now we're aware of what we spend.

Indeed. That reminds me a little of what I did. I used to use credit cards quite a lot as most people do, and run a continuous debt, and pretty much just paid off the minimum every month. About 20 years ago I was going out with a girl who pointed out what I was paying in interest - I'd never thought about it before - and I was shocked. I immediately reduced my outgoings, paid everything I was saving into paying off my Credit Card debt, and have not used a Credit Card since.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
About £300 assuming the odd take-away is ignored and comes under food. That said I don't drive but do have a mortgage and associated bills, plus living alone is more expensive than with someone to split things. Worth noting I'm a lazy git who barely works but loves what he does.

Couldn't afford to live in Brighton and do this many hours but do think it pays a lot better over there so might surprise myself one day if go for it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here