Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dispatches "How to buy a meeting with a minister"

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You are suggesting that the best way to change the system is to comply with it?

Seeing as so few of us have any genuine democratic options - perhaps we should stop complying and demand more radical change.

We all know that whatever the results of the general election, there will be no actual change. The same people will be in charge and existing problems will perpetuate.

when are you announcing in which seat you'll be standing? you are going to stand aren't you, so that you can offer people a genuine democratic option, and begin to make some change?

for their faults, the greens and the UKIPers have done and put their pet subjects on the agenda. a few generations ago Labour didnt exist, they now set much of the agenda and caused an awful lot of change. so really, shit or get off the pot.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
when are you announcing in which seat you'll be standing? you are going to stand aren't you, so that you can offer people a genuine democratic option, and begin to make some change?

for their faults, the greens and the UKIPers have done and put their pet subjects on the agenda. a few generations ago Labour didnt exist, they now set much of the agenda and caused an awful lot of change. so really, shit or get off the pot.

I think he is a natural WHIG myself......

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Since 1950, only 16 independent MP's have been elected to the house of commons... and they were almost all tied to a major party, except an anomaly UNICEF guy in a small town, and George Galloway's RESPECT.

No minor parties have been elected within that period, if you exclude the nationalist or unionist parties of the other home nations.

People don't vote for unrecognised parties or independents purely because they know it is a wasted vote. The propaganda machine, the mainstream media (and now manipulating social media too) is far too powerful... it would take something or someone truly unprecedented to come even close to gaining the kind of traction required for even ONE seat. George Galloway did it, but he's a skilled and reputable politician and orator.... sadly, it's not within the realms of possibility for regular people to contribute towards this kind of democracy... but you know that, don't you?

This is the Galloway that was best friends with Saddam?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
People don't vote for unrecognised parties or independents purely because they know it is a wasted vote.

and yet you've just told me there are 16 exceptions to this. its far too easy for you to blame the mainstream media and propaganda is too powerful: i say you dont have a set of views that many people agree with, and to be fair you certainly arent a skilled orator either. its ok, most of us arent cut out for doing real politics, please stop keep telling everyone it cant change until you've at least tried.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
If you read my post, you will see that I am saying there are NO exceptions to this. It is IMPOSSIBLE for a regular person to get a seat in the house of commons. ALL of the people who have (sorry, make that 13, not 16) in 65 years were tied to major parties or organisations... the other was George Galloway... and none of them lasted longer than a year, Galloway probably won't either.

so Galloway (twice), Martin Bell, Richard Taylor, Caroline Lucas and Peter Law/Dai Davies dont count. all lasted more than a year too. with that sort of attention to facts you may have a career in one of the major parties.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Since 1950, only 13 independent MP's have been elected to the house of commons... and they were almost all tied to a major party, except an anomaly UNICEF ambassador in a small town, and George Galloway's RESPECT.

No minor parties have been elected within that period - if you exclude the nationalist or unionist parties of the other home nations, which are actually considered to be major parties anyway.

People don't vote for unrecognised parties or independents purely because they know it is a wasted vote. The propaganda machine, the mainstream media (and now manipulating social media too) is far too powerful... it would take something or someone truly unprecedented to come even close to gaining the kind of traction required for even ONE seat. George Galloway did it, but he's a skilled and reputable politician and orator.... sadly, it's not within the realms of possibility for regular people to contribute towards this kind of democracy... but you know that, don't you?

If your policies are popular then people will vote for you, the Greens have proven that, unfortunately. Or are your policies unpopular, but oh so righteous that they should be imposed over the wishes of the electorate?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
You're quite obviously purposely being obtuse.

hardly obtuse, you are ignoring the black swans that refute your position that no one can get elected, even having the gall to claim one was Labour or that Greens are a "major" party. you could stand, like many in smaller parties do, you dont while you claim there is not anyone representing you. i understand all those people got elected because they stood for election.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I don't need to elaborate, watch the programme in question and see for yourself

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I'm not voting for any of them, haven't even heard them sing yet!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You are suggesting that the best way to change the system is to comply with it?

Seeing as so few of us have any genuine democratic options - perhaps we should stop complying and demand more radical change.

We all know that whatever the results of the general election, there will be no actual change. The same people will be in charge and existing problems will perpetuate.

Who will you be demanding the radical change from? And in what way are you going to stop complying?

It seems to me that not voting, or at least spoiling your paper, tells those in power you are not bothered. Not voting is the weakest form of protest I can imagine.
At least turn out and spoil the ballot paper.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
So far from you we have had literary masterpieces about riots, mugged off, and follow like sheep. What programme are you talking about?
I may not have the answers but at least I'm not sitting back naive to what's going on

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I may not have the answers but at least I'm not sitting back naive to what's going on

My friend, I am, not suggesting that you do have the answers. I have now read half a dozen or so of your posts, and still have absolutely no idea what you are getting at, other than vague references to a programme you cannot mention and an equally vague notion of " what is going on". I fail to see how anyone can be "naïve to what is going on" as you put it, when we have no idea what you are talking about, as you refuse to inform us. Perhaps it is you, who is rather naïve. For all I know, you may be quite right, but unless you are willing to share your wisdom with us, then it is pointless coming on here.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
My friend, I am, not suggesting that you do have the answers. I have now read half a dozen or so of your posts, and still have absolutely no idea what you are getting at, other than vague references to a programme you cannot mention and an equally vague notion of " what is going on". I fail to see how anyone can be "naïve to what is going on" as you put it, when we have no idea what you are talking about, as you refuse to inform us. Perhaps it is you, who is rather naïve. For all I know, you may be quite right, but unless you are willing to share your wisdom with us, then it is pointless coming on here.

Read the thread Title for a clue to the program he is referring to.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

As stated by another poster, if you're too thick to work it out move along

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
As stated by another poster, if you're too thick to work it out move along
In fact the other poster pointed out that the title of the programme was the thread title, which I had missed, so for that apologies. At least I know what the programme is, so please can you let me as a thick person know what exactly is going on, and to what extent it is going on, and how often it is going on, and anything else that is going on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here