Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] disk error - formal sd card

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Someone just hit my wifes car and I can't read the dash cam's sd card, it says it needs formatting. That will wipe any data that may have been recorded so is there a way of getting to the data, if there is any?

I've tried cmd and chkdsk E: /f /r, which does nothing - says
The type of the file system is RAW.
CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.

No idea what this means of course but didn't sound positive!

I nearly downloaded some software that said it could recover from unformatted/damaged disks but thought better of it, don't want to go from a smashed bumper to an empty bank account!

Any guidance gladly received!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is there an app linked to the dashcam? On mine I just connect to the cam’s wifi and save any clips to my phone using the app.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I guess the formal address to an SD card is Your Grace. Although if it is a micro SD, you can be more informal and call it Kingston

i guess the obvious question is, is the contents needed? if so i would start by buying another SD card then you can firstly use EASUS to CLONE the disk and try any recovery off of the clone. Based on my ancient experience with floppy disks (!) the disks are usually partitioned and store an index where every file is stored, so if the index gets damaged, to system cant find the files but they could be there. In the old days there was usually a second copy of the index stored which is where tools like EASUS work. Failing that the accident may somehow have triggered a system reset on the dashcam which could have formatted it. There are several free tools that can attempt to unformat it again but as suggested, do this off a clone

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
i guess the obvious question is, is the contents needed? if so i would start by buying another SD card then you can firstly use EASUS to CLONE the disk and try any recovery off of the clone. Based on my ancient experience with floppy disks (!) the disks are usually partitioned and store an index where every file is stored, so if the index gets damaged, to system cant find the files but they could be there. In the old days there was usually a second copy of the index stored which is where tools like EASUS work. Failing that the accident may somehow have triggered a system reset on the dashcam which could have formatted it. There are several free tools that can attempt to unformat it again but as suggested, do this off a clone
Thanks!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Most recovery software , I have used a few including Recuva, basically ignore the index and read it block by block. I think most have an understanding of the structures of the various types of files and will them copy them to your designated recovery destination.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Do you know what the previous format was? Eg FAT32, NTFS, etc.

Some are easier to recover from than others.

When were you last able to successfully view your dashcam clips? If ages ago, it could be there is no recent capture to recover.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here