Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Disinformation

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
... abounds.
First, we discovered what Cambridge Analytica were up to, alongside all the other offshoots that Mercer spawned.
Now, this. It won't be long before claims of anti-semitism are levelled at this international investigative journalism.
There ought to be little doubt that plenty more 'black ops', 'psy ops', etc will be revealed in the years ahead.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It's a massive problem.

I tend to dis-engage from social media news more and more, week by week. If there is no trust in whether information is true then what is the point ?

My feeds are now increasingly just Albion and certain TV shows like Game Of Thrones. Little gain from anyone lying about them.

Once Putin is defeated then I'll blitz all news from them.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It's a massive problem.

I tend to dis-engage from social media news more and more, week by week. If there is no trust in whether information is true then what is the point ?

My feeds are now increasingly just Albion and certain TV shows like Game Of Thrones. Little gain from anyone lying about them.

I tend to agree. I did a purge long ago of any political feeds on Twitter etc, but do enjoy the Albion bits (that don't involve mentally ill Chelsea and Arsenal fans)

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
And this is only going to get worse. Accurate fact-checked information can now be deliberately obscured in a sea of AI generated plausible looking/sounding nonsense. Looking for information on sensitive subjects on the web will soon be akin to the proverbial “needle in a haystack” as there’s no shortage of bad actors who for intelligence reasons, commercial reasons, or reputation protection/repair reasons will willingly ensure that the truth is buried somewhere in a sea of believable nonsense. All you need is a bigger budget for SEO and you’ve won.

When you look at the original aims of those who helped build the web outside of its original military purpose, and the hope they had for it, then look at what we’re dealing with now, it’s a real inditement of human greed and corruption.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Worth adding that this investigation has exposed that it's not just conducted on new social media/the Internet. Traditional broadcasters and newspapers have also been caught in the web of Team Jorge, as the announcement of the suspension of one presenter in France indicates.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's a massive problem.

Not meant arrogantly, but I never did engage in social media news. Very deliberately. I stick to tried and far more trusted sauces such the BBC, broadsheets (read with a scepticism and I've never read an editorial, ever) and long running news agencies.

It's not right or left thing. I've got friends and family who in the last 15 years lurched to the right, getting into Facebook and Twatter propaganda; pro-Trump, anti-Ukraine and climates haven't changed. Beggars belief. At least one of them previously lifelong Labour, a friend since childhood.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
... abounds.
First, we discovered what Cambridge Analytica were up to, alongside all the other offshoots that Mercer spawned.
Now, this. It won't be long before claims of anti-semitism are levelled at this international investigative journalism.
There ought to be little doubt that plenty more 'black ops', 'psy ops', etc will be revealed in the years ahead.

Wow, that was quite a read...

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Who would've thought it, a site deemed risky by a source, instantly seeks to discredit it.
This is part five of a Washington Examiner series about self-styled "disinformation" monitors that are cracking down on conservative media and taking steps to defund disfavored speech.

If your news sources are not reporting this then this, like the thread topic is disinformation. Censorship, smears etc are increasingly common targeting Right of center media. Unlike the Guardian article I can give examples, wikipedias definition of far-right includes the term re-reactionary to left wing policies. These are then linked via google searches, learn to check the source material, The Guardian article doesn't give any concrete examples so I will dismiss it.

Put Zerohedge into google search, then check the site for anything "far-right" then go check the wiki page linked to it and their definition of far right.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
This is part five of a Washington Examiner series about self-styled "disinformation" monitors that are cracking down on conservative media and taking steps to defund disfavored speech.

If your news sources are not reporting this then this, like the thread topic is disinformation. Censorship, smears etc are increasingly common targeting Right of center media. Unlike the Guardian article I can give examples, wikipedias definition of far-right includes the term re-reactionary to left wing policies. These are then linked via google searches, learn to check the source material, The Guardian article doesn't give any concrete examples so I will dismiss it.

Put Zerohedge into google search, then check the site for anything "far-right" then go check the wiki page linked to it and their definition of far right.
Anybody can edit wikipedia, go and change it back if you don't think its far right, with a source. I've just changed my school's wikipedia page to say I'm a notable former student, is this now limiting free speech.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Anybody can edit wikipedia, go and change it back if you don't think its far right, with a source. I've just changed my school's wikipedia page to say I'm a notable former student, is this now limiting free speech.

The definition has had 31 edits this year, if the definition is so contested why use it rather than a dictionary? Also wiki has been audited to show a center-left establishment bias. I have better things to do than live on Wikipedia, a corrupted source as is Google.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The definition has had 31 edits this year, if the definition is so contested why use it rather than a dictionary? Also wiki has been audited to show a center-left establishment bias. I have better things to do than live on Wikipedia, a corrupted source as is Google.

That's hilarious. As the spelling indicates, it hails from America too. The poor far right having to navigate in the oh so choppy waters of a center-left establishment bias.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
It's not right or left thing. I've got friends and family who in the last 15 years lurched to the right, getting into Facebook and Twatter propaganda; pro-Trump, anti-Ukraine and climates haven't changed. Beggars belief. At least one of them previously lifelong Labour, a friend since childhood.
I have a family member like this, they look for a conspiracy in everything and seems totally irrational. They were stating that Biden was faking an alien invasion to hide that he’d blown up the Nord pipeline.
I am actually concerned for their state of mind as they seem to spend a lot of time obsessing about what they call left wing conspiracies. Every time I try to engage, (I try to talk about normal day to day issues, but they always steer the conversation to these issues and I get increasingly aggressive conversations about how I don’t understand, live in an echo chamber etc).
I blame social media, it seems facts do not seem to have a place in society anymore and hysteria rules.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here