Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Disconnecting smoke alarm

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Got a hardwired smoke alarm that's decided to beep incessantly, I'm guessing to let us know it's at the end of its life.

Because it's hardwired I think I need to turn off the fuse but I don't think it's on a separate circuit and I don't really want to turn off the power to the entire house.

I reckon it's on the same circuit as the lights but not 100% on that.

It's got a white box connector thingy - am I relatively safe to take that out without switching off all the power? Or is it better to be safe than sorry and just turn off all the fuses?

Cheers!

Attachments

• PXL_20230214_080516767~2.jpg
    PXL_20230214_080516767~2.jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 68

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Got a hardwired smoke alarm that's decided to beep incessantly, I'm guessing to let us know it's at the end of its life.

Because it's hardwired I think I need to turn off the fuse but I don't think it's on a separate circuit and I don't really want to turn off the power to the entire house.

I reckon it's on the same circuit as the lights but not 100% on that.

It's got a white box connector thingy - am I relatively safe to take that out without switching off all the power? Or is it better to be safe than sorry and just turn off all the fuses?

Cheers!
00545110-Exklusivhammer-1.jpg

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Yes, it needs replacing - the writing at the bottom tells you that!

The 'plug' into the detector is actually a socket, so the exposed pins will be on the detector itself - there's very little risk of shock from unplugging.
Marvellous, thank you.

We bought this place a couple of years ago and quite a few bits of machinery inherited from the previous owners have started failing on us. It was the fridge just before Christmas.

I predict the washing machine is next.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
My one caveat to the advice above would be, do check whether you can smell smoke.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
We have hard-wired smoke detectors, but they also have a PP9 battery as a back-up [in the event of a power cut and a fire at the same time]

Whilst the detector may have gone end-of-life, it could just be the battery as these have a much shorter shelf-life and even when not under load [no mains power cuts], don't last more than about 5 years.

Worth a try?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here