Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Discogs

el punal

To help fund my upcoming European Tour with the Albion I’m thinking of selling a load of my old LPs/Albums/Vinyl records. I have done a bit of research and it seems that Discogs is the most suitable site for selling individual albums as they give approximate values for each record according to condition. On the other hand I could contact a collector and sell my collection as a job lot.

What would be your recommendations and advice regarding this venture? Look forward to your comments. Cheers! :drink:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Never job lot … if indeed you consider your collection to be in very good (or above) condition and/or it contains rare gems.

Yes, it’s a pain in the arse selling things individually but (it goes without saying) you stand to make a far greater ‘profit’ that way.

Dealers like to offer <£10/LP even for a collection chock full of absolute rarities. In my experience if you make £5/LP from a lot, you’ve done exceptionally well.

So… sell individually if you’re able to/can be arsed.

Or… lot the average stuff (perhaps with a couple of rare items chucked in) to see if you can beat the dealer… by forcing their hand to clear out your dross… I’ve done this once or twice.

I use eBay, but check Discogs for competitive pricing purposes… for example my £300 Horse LP is on eBay, making it £50 cheaper than my discogs competitors.

:)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Get on eBay. Buy yourself some record shipping cartons. Wait for eBay to offer you 85% off selling fees and then go for it. If you’re newish to eBay they might even offer you some better deals. When the offers come in you have a limited time to list, get your photos done in advance for speedy listing.

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
I've recently sold 2 deceased friends collections for their families ,
Here's what I did .
With another friend we filtered all the dross ( James Last , Val Doonican , Carpenters etc) at least twice - then straight to charity shop.
This left collectable discs .
Filter by style - rock , soul, reggae etc .
Looked at selling on Discogs but found the amount of effort overwhelming.
Looked at Record Fair but couldn't get a table .
Contacted a n old friend who is a record dealer - sold 400 for £900 (£2.25 each )
Donated to Macmillan Cancer Support .

You'll get more at a Record Fair per disc if you can get a table but get ' cherry picked ' quickly

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
All my stuff is on Discogs for cataloguing purposes rather than to sell. It can be a slog getting a lot of stuff on there as you will need to record exactly which copy of something you have. This obviously involves catalogue numbers and barcodes, but can also mean going through liner notes with a fine tooth comb, and checking etchings on run out grooves. Not easy with middle aged eyes. After a few thousand you feel like Donald Pleasance in 'The Great Escape'.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Never job lot … if indeed you consider your collection to be in very good (or above) condition and/or it contains rare gems.

Yes, it’s a pain in the arse selling things individually but (it goes without saying) you stand to make a far greater ‘profit’ that way.

Dealers like to offer <£10/LP even for a collection chock full of absolute rarities. In my experience if you make £5/LP from a lot, you’ve done exceptionally well.

So… sell individually if you’re able to/can be arsed.

Or… lot the average stuff (perhaps with a couple of rare items chucked in) to see if you can beat the dealer… by forcing their hand to clear out your dross… I’ve done this once or twice.

I use eBay, but check Discogs for competitive pricing purposes… for example my £300 Horse LP is on eBay, making it £50 cheaper than my discogs competitors.

:)
I discovered yesterday that my copy of Brighter than 1000 suns on CD is going for over 70 quid on Amazon. You can download the tracks for £6.50. I guess the packaging (my copy has a big pull-out) is what adds value

Apr 29, 2012
I’ve been a Discogs seller for over 15 years so can concur with others that this would be the best way to make profits so long as you’re not in a hurry, which sounds like it might be an issue for you with time? Discogs have just hiked their commission fee to 9% but is still I believe it to be better value than eBay. You have to be patient though to achieve the best prices and wait for your buyer…….

Job lot to a shop or dealer will yield a quick buck but as others have pointed out, you’ll only get approximately a third of the market value from the dealer to allow them to make their margin.

An eBay job lot could work though if you mix it up, as auction frenzy can sometimes push prices up.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To help fund my upcoming European Tour with the Albion I’m thinking of selling a load of my old LPs/Albums/Vinyl records. I have done a bit of research and it seems that Discogs is the most suitable site for selling individual albums as they give approximate values for each record according to condition. On the other hand I could contact a collector and sell my collection as a job lot.

What would be your recommendations and advice regarding this venture? Look forward to your comments. Cheers! :drink:
Can you not put up A list on here and see if any of us old rockers and New Romantics fancy buying some off you?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ooooh

i recently got rid ( binned) a whole load of plastic and wooden model ships etc as I ran out of space That took me years to build. i have a really nice very large 3ft long 3 ft high wooden build of L’Hermionie that took me about 2 years, but takes up too much space…my mate in the US a offered me $1000 for it but there is no point sending it as packing would be a nightmare. Next time I am needing space I will put it on there if anyone wants it as a display item.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Seller beware. When I moved house a decade ago I needed to downsize my albums slightly. I binned two or three and took my pristine copies of Queen Live Killers and Eagles Live to a vinyl shop off London Road and he gave me £40 for the pair. I've regretted it many times since. I can't even buy them again, because in my weird head, I only want my lovely treasured copies, the ones I had for Christmas, birthdays or remember when, where and why I bought them, not somebody else's seconds.:cry:

Edit: no sooner had I finished typing than a banner ad dropped in. 'We buy LP records.'

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My advice is do not do it.

I sold all my vinyl as a student in the late 80s, moved to CDs, and lived to regret this. I have now spent a lot of time, and a small fortune, trying to re-buy all my lost vinyl.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All my stuff is on Discogs for cataloguing purposes rather than to sell. It can be a slog getting a lot of stuff on there as you will need to record exactly which copy of something you have. This obviously involves catalogue numbers and barcodes, but can also mean going through liner notes with a fine tooth comb, and checking etchings on run out grooves. Not easy with middle aged eyes. After a few thousand you feel like Donald Pleasance in 'The Great Escape'.
I am also in the process of doing this for collection purposes. Not sure about middle-aged eye, but the main reason for me cataloguing all my vinyl is due to middle-aged memory and protection from buying the same record twice. Having all my collection accessible on my phone is useful when i'm in a record store.

el punal

Can you not put up A list on here and see if any of us old rockers and New Romantics fancy buying some off you?
Up into the loft I go to dig them out! One of the rarities is one I bought from a second hand record shop (long gone!) off Trafalgar Street back in 1974. It was Tons of Sobs by Free. Apparently it’s a Japanese pressing and according to Discogs it’s value is north of £200!

In addition I have the following in reasonably good nick, with inserts where applicable :

The Who - LIve at Leeds, Led Zep - Physical Graffiti, The Who - Tommy, Crosby Stills etc. - Deja Vu,
Pink Floyd - The Wall.

Loads more!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I’ve been a Discogs seller for over 15 years so can concur with others that this would be the best way to make profits so long as you’re not in a hurry, which sounds like it might be an issue for you with time? Discogs have just hiked their commission fee to 9% but is still I believe it to be better value than eBay. You have to be patient though to achieve the best prices and wait for your buyer…….

Job lot to a shop or dealer will yield a quick buck but as others have pointed out, you’ll only get approximately a third of the market value from the dealer to allow them to make their margin.

An eBay job lot could work though if you mix it up, as auction frenzy can sometimes push prices up.
I only ever list on eBay via a 70% fee discount… which is still probably short of discogs fees, but I’ve just always favoured the ‘bay as a seller anyway… interesting to read that discogs have hiked fees… I guess that’s the times we’re in :/

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I am also in the process of doing this for collection purposes. Not sure about middle-aged eye, but the main reason for me cataloguing all my vinyl is due to middle-aged memory and protection from buying the same record twice. Having all my collection accessible on my phone is useful when i'm in a record store.
:ROFLMAO: That was one of the main reasons I did it too.

The other was for the family. If anything happened to me, it's a couple of clicks for them to know what might be worth filtering out and selling separately.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Up into the loft I go to dig them out! One of the rarities is one I bought from a second hand record shop (long gone!) off Trafalgar Street back in 1974. It was Tons of Sobs by Free. Apparently it’s a Japanese pressing and according to Discogs it’s value is north of £200!

In addition I have the following in reasonably good nick, with inserts where applicable :

The Who - LIve at Leeds, Led Zep - Physical Graffiti, The Who - Tommy, Crosby Stills etc. - Deja Vu,
Pink Floyd - The Wall.

Loads more!
Be careful with values. Discogs quotes lowest, highest and median prices for previous sales. The prices that things are currently being offered up for sale at can be misleading because of condition and shipping costs. The most annoying ones for a buyer are where items are ten a penny in the US, offered up at very low prices, but either not shipped to the UK, or not realistic to purchase once shipping costs are factored in.

Also prices that things are being put up for don't guarantee that someone will pay that rate. There is a useful 'Last Sold' button on the right of an item's page. This will tell you what has been sold recently and in what condition.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
FA53A194-3271-43B7-8B47-20A5B8AE6F8A.jpeg

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I suggest you ship them all to somewhere across the world . . . say . . . Australia.

You just need someone to receive the shipment . . . as it happens I may know just the person.

They won't charge you on top of shipping either.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I have all my vinyl catalogued on discogs. I have told the wife when I die and the girls have taken their pick, it's all ready for sale. Nice to see I could potentially get £40,000 for them. But more like £5,000

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here