Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disciplinary Record

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
Can anyone tell me how we compare on Yellow Cards with the same stage last season? I recall that many of our Yellows last season were caused by desperate tackling from defenders (in particular Dunk) under severe pressure.

The evidence this season is that our defence is transformed and looks totally at ease. And on that subject, whilst all the praise is being rightly reserved for the likes of Bruno and Bridcutt, I thought that the quietly effective Greer/El Abd partnership should not be overlooked.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
After 5 league games last season
14 yellows, no reds.

Dunk had two yellows

After 5 league games this season
7 Yellows, no reds.

Barnes has 3 yellows
Bruno has 2 yellows

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Doncaster
Lualua
Dunk

Portsmouth
Bridcutt
Calderon
Noone
Dunk

Cardiff
Dicker
Ankergren
Painter
Mackail-Smith

Blackpool
Greer, Dicker, ?? according to official site
Noone, Greer, Mackail-Smith according to espnsoccernet

Peterborough
Calderon

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This Season League Cup
Swindon
Yellow
Barnes

Red
-

Last Season League Cup
Gillingham
Yellow
Dunk
Ankergren
Painter

Red
-

Sunderland
Yellow
Navarro
Calderon
Taricco

Red
-

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't believe any player was to blame for our poor disciplinary record last season. I think it was just one of those things. Every season there will be one team who has an oddly high number of cards in respect to their fouls. I do not believe our fouls were proportionally worse than any other team, yet we were mid-table on fouls committed, and top of the table for yellow cards. It was an anomaly. It apparently will be someone else's turn this season, if these first few games are anything to go by.

Does it help that we have better players, that the players who were with us last season are now more experienced at this level? Probably, but I honestly think it was just a thing. It's almost a self-fulfilling prophecy, where refs feel the need to crack down in our games because they think we foul more than we do because of card counts, so give cards early for fouls they wouldn't normally, then have to stay consistent for the rest of the game - and that affect our opponents too, who received more yellows than us and committed more fouls than us - "Brighton's Opponents" were the worst team for discipline by fouls committed and yellow cards. ("Leed's Opponents" had the highest red card count, followed by Leicester, 10 and 9 respectively).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Bruno's yellow card at Barnsley was dubious as the player made a meal of the "body check" knowing he would get a free kick out of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here