Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Disappointing, Not Disastrous

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We won only one game out of our last 23 last season. We were awful last season. I remember games where our fullbacks were hoofing long balls down the line to absolutely no one. Reminded me very much of those dark days at Withdean. No way was today our worst performance in the top flight

We won 3

el punal

I'm trying to think of a worse performance on the PL to be honest than today.

Two questions re.your comment :

1. Did you go to the Chelsea match today?

2. How many times have you watched the Albion in the Premier League?

On the basis that the answer to (1) is yes, and the answer to (2) is loads, then you must have watched a lot of games with your eyes shut. A couple of examples of worst performance, I give you Leicester and Everton, both away, in our first season. Compound that with Bournemouth (0-5) and Cardiff (0-2) at home last season. I can’t comment on today’s Chelsea game as I wasn’t there but I do find it strange that no one else has concurred with your view of worst PL performance.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Good Lord. Are people really saying today was the worst PL performance we’ve put in since coming up?
Seriously?

Did you think we played well then? We handed them one goal and were lucky not go give them two more by poor passing out the back. Bissoma isn't anywhere near fit yet, we didn't really look like scoring. Chelsea were pretty poor, ref was awful. Through balls to Maupay were dreadful at times. Ok not as bad as Jan-May last season but easily the worst Potter PL game.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Two questions re.your comment :

1. Did you go to the Chelsea match today?

2. How many times have you watched the Albion in the Premier League?

On the basis that the answer to (1) is yes, and the answer to (2) is loads, then you must have watched a lot of games with your eyes shut. A couple of examples of worst performance, I give you Leicester and Everton, both away, in our first season. Compound that with Bournemouth (0-5) and Cardiff (0-2) at home last season. I can’t comment on today’s Chelsea game as I wasn’t there but I do find it strange that no one else has concurred with your view of worst PL performance.

See post#18, no it wasnt that bad really, crap train journey home surrounded by happy palace fans standing in a sardine tin. Very disappointing though lots of sloppy play today and I must admit I crap myself everytime we have a goal kick.

theboybilly

We were never going to go to Stamford Bridge and not come under some pressure but by and large Ryan had as little to do (bar routine saves) than the Chelsea 'keeper. Both goals came from avoidable mistakes especially Dunk's very hopeful long ball which lost possession for the 2nd., Mount and Tammy Abrahams did little inside our box. Only Willian really shone for the home side. We just need the confidence to take a risk in the final third

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
We were never going to go to Stamford Bridge and not come under some pressure but by and large Ryan had as little to do (bar routine saves) than the Chelsea 'keeper. Both goals came from avoidable mistakes especially Dunk's very hopeful long ball which lost possession for the 2nd., Mount and Tammy Abrahams did little inside our box. Only Willian really shone for the home side. We just need the confidence to take a risk in the final third

Come on, we got outplayed today all over the park and could/should have lost by more. All the write-ups/pundit comments say the same. Take your rose tinted specs off

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We're missing a few influential players, what's the fuss:shrug:
I think we'll cope with the Potterball era whilst in the PL.
We, the fans, have to be patient and just let Graham Potter do his stuff.
As long as we stay up and play the footy we are playing at the moment, I'm happy :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We're missing a few influential players, what's the fuss:shrug:
I think we'll cope with the Potterball era whilst in the PL.
We, the fans, have to be patient and just let Graham Potter do his stuff.
As long as we stay up and play the footy we are playing at the moment, I'm happy :)

FFS, wake up and smell the coffee, we’re as good as down.

(Not really).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Did you think we played well then? We handed them one goal and were lucky not go give them two more by poor passing out the back. Bissoma isn't anywhere near fit yet, we didn't really look like scoring. Chelsea were pretty poor, ref was awful. Through balls to Maupay were dreadful at times. Ok not as bad as Jan-May last season but easily the worst Potter PL game.

Yes, the worst performance of the Potter era to be sure - the rest in the league have been decent to be fair. But the worst ever? Bollox!

Seven games into the season and six points on the board following our regulation annual 2-0 defeat to Chelsea. Is it all bad? Well, a comparison to where we were after seven games in the last two seasons, apparently not. In 2017/18 we had accumulated seven points, last season (2018/19) it was five. We are, as it stands, 16th in the table. Realistically, at the start of the season, that’s where most of us thought we’d be.

I suppose the disappointment stems from us playing much more enterprising football without the finished product - goals. Admittedly luck has not been on our side but then again I’m firm believer in that you make your own luck. That definitely was not the case in the matches against Southampton, Newcastle, West Ham and Burnley.

It’s still early days and I still believe that we have the right approach to games (unlike some on here who regard anything positive as a complete catastrophe). We now have three interesting fixture coming up. Spurs at home, who blow hot and cold at the moment. Villa away, who tend to throw away points when they’re in the bag. Everton, at home, who just have failed to live up to pre-season expectations.

With these three fixtures done that will mean ten games played and will give us a much truer indication as to our standing in the league, be it a comfortable one or one that we will struggle. Fingers crossed it will be the former.

No, with the run of winnable home games I expected us to have banked more points by now in preparation for tougher games

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Last season Chelsea were so far out of sight so quickly - and Albion so unambitious - that they could cruise through the rest of the game. So I don’t think too much needs to be read into the fact that a more open style of play meant they might have got a few more today... at least we actually showed again, albeit rarely, that we could potentially win a few away matches this season. Need to start taking chances, but there’s no doubt that we’ve been fairly unlucky so far. We’re bossing games enough to suggest that goals will come eventually. Just hope it’s soon....

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
We are missing Trossard badly
When he is back I think we will be very much better

I'll agree with this. Trossard makes us so much better in the forward zone. Is it enough though to keep us out of relegation? A lot will change before we get to February/March when the outcome of this season will be determined. I will say we could be looking back from March and saying what dark days we had in Sept/Oct. and smiling because we are comfortably in 13th or better place AND looking in splendid style while getting there.

Of course there will be those who would complain that we should be doing better and in the top 7 to 10 teams.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Last season Chelsea were so far out of sight so quickly - and Albion so unambitious - that they could cruise through the rest of the game. So I don’t think too much needs to be read into the fact that a more open style of play meant they might have got a few more today... at least we actually showed again, albeit rarely, that we could potentially win a few away matches this season. Need to start taking chances, but there’s no doubt that we’ve been fairly unlucky so far. We’re bossing games enough to suggest that goals will come eventually. Just hope it’s soon....

They will come because of our style they will just come naturally.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
:lol:

Some of the guff i'm i'm reading is unbelievable

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The only trouble with having a few key players is that we have to play the waiting game when they can't play and hope we can cope with it.
Getting injured on international duty, really stinks as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here