Disappointing day and result hurts. Can someone tell me.....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Why Glenn Murray didn't take the penalty to complete his hat trick? Why did he let Garvan take it? I don't begrudge GM from earning a living, don'tmind that he left when we decided not to pay him what he is worth. Just curious why a striker, who could make a mint if he scores 30 this season, wouldn't pick up the ball and try for a third home hat trick? Any thoughts?

I can't wait for the return leg at the Amex now. A fully fit team, cheered on by 25K Home Fans....we have every chance of making it right.

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
Maybe he didn't want to punish Brighton to a hat-trick. You know, him getting a hattrick would be quite insulting so he didn't want to disrespect us...

Maybe.....

Or he didn't want to f*** it up CMS style with Leeds.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
According to the league show he has missed a couple of penalties when on for a hattrick.

It's possible it was just a case of eliminating that double bluff situation that was CMS's downfall with his second penalty v leeds.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
It's because he has missed pens twice (I think) this season that would have given him a hat-trick.

tigerbeesteve

tigerbeesteve
Jan 18, 2010
Bristol
Just reinforcing what's already been said, but it was reported that he didn't take it simply because in a similar situation recently he didn't convert a second penalty when he had tried to get a hat-trick. I guess they didn't want to risk him fluffing again cos they wanted to be certain of getting a 3rd goal to kill off the game; not that we showed any chance of getting back into it.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Thank you for all of the responses. It seems very odd that he'd be that nervous in a game where he'd already scored a penalty, they were already 2 up and playing against an impotent 10 man Brighton. Says something about his head state and lack of confidence that when on a hat trick he'd pass up the chance. Oh well.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As much as you dislike Murray he owned Calderon yesterday when headers were needed

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As much as you dislike Murray he owned Calderon yesterday when headers were needed
In fairness it's never been an aspect of his game that he came up short in.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
In fairness it's never been an aspect of his game that he came up short in.

Don't disagree but coupled with Bruno we only had two defenders who could head the ball, must be a Spanish thing

origami eagle

Dec 1, 2012
Thank you for all of the responses. It seems very odd that he'd be that nervous in a game where he'd already scored a penalty, they were already 2 up and playing against an impotent 10 man Brighton. Says something about his head state and lack of confidence that when on a hat trick he'd pass up the chance. Oh well.
According to a radio report he was ill yesterday and only just made it to the game, so it may have been this that dented his confidence. I guess you should count yourselves lucky he wasn't match fit.
What was your Buckley chaps excuse?

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
According to a radio report he was ill yesterday and only just made it to the game, so it may have been this that dented his confidence. I guess you should count yourselves lucky he wasn't match fit.
What was your Buckley chaps excuse?

His excuse? Maybe your lot kicked him everytime he got the ball? Its the professional thing to do dont get me wrong but ward kicked him down at least 3 times and that other lad dikgacoi did him a good few times before that awful 'tackle' on bridcutt. No doubt he shouldn't of lasted the 90mins. But thats football...

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
In all fairness to Murray, since he left Albion his conduct to us has been very respectful both at the Amex and Smellhurst. He could easily celebrate wildly but instead acted maturely, I for one would never boo the guy. He did the business for us and helped get us promoted. If he was now at any other club he'd be viewed as a Albion legend, pity he chose Palace..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports