Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disabled Parking

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Albion will be providing far more than some clubs in the division, and in some cases there are clubs who provide no blue badge parking at all, even though they have plenty of space to do so, and their grounds are far bigger, how do they get away with that?

I would imagine they get around it on historical reasons ie legislation is not retrospective. New builds need to take into account new legislation. I guess if any old ground wanted to install a new car park they would have to abide by current regulation. Just guessing though.

The Albion will be providing far more than some clubs in the division, and in some cases there are clubs who provide no blue badge parking at all, even though they have plenty of space to do so, and their grounds are far bigger, how do they get away with that?
It's not just about parking spaces, of course. It's about providing a range of access opportunities.

In terms of legislation, football clubs "get away with it", because they are like many, many service providers. The legal requirement when the DDA was first passed in 1995 was to "make reasonable adjustments". For new premises, the law now expects full equal access to be provided. But there are limited resources available to police this properly.

In the world of stadiums, most of the "policing" (including the pressure being brought to bear by the National association of Disabled Supporters) is focused on Olympic venues. And that's proving more than challenging. Clubs like the Albion are, I'm afraid, able to fly below the radar.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
the club is a business, and the business has decided to deal with it this way.

I'm really glad you have cleared this issue up.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I also know that they had no idea that 1901 would be so popular, I was at one of the presentations in the very first week, and then they were talking about Platinum, Gold, Silver and even Bronze memeberships if it helped them to fill the WSM, in reality they knew after the first couple of weeks that the demand was greater than this, and therefore did not offer the silver and bronze options at all. Even then, they were only hoping to sell out the WSM. In reality, the demand was so great they opened up WSL and eventually the East Stand for Platinum members, such was the demand. There is no way they imagined the demand would be that great.

This has lead to a problem with parking spaces for both 1901 memebers and blue badge spaces. The group of us that go together have taken one less parking space than we were entitled to as we will "car-share". If there are others who can do the same, then perhaps there is an opportunity to 'give back' some of the 1901 spaces and re-use them for blue badge parking, once we know what the demand for blue badge spaces is.

The club CHOSE to open other areas. They CHOSE to prioritise 1901 members over disabled supporters. They could've kept the 1901 club to its original planned size leaving the additional parking available for disabled users.

They CHOSE not to. They might well have been surprised at the demand for 1901 seats, but they had the option to say '1901 membership is now sold out'. They didn't. They added areas that weren't really available.

As the club is a business I wonder how many disabled customers will now take their business elsewhere.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The main benefit that people with disabilities need is a short walking distance to the stadium. I'm not going to turn this discussion into a debate between people with different disabilities, but it is arguable that a wheelchair user with a pusher can cope more easily with their car being parked 500 metres from the stadium entrance than an ambulant disabled person can. Yet it looks like wheelchair users are being given exclusive use of the 46 available spaces.

QUOTE]

Entirely. My family have said to the club, many many months ago by letter and in person, that they don't necessarily need a disabled space as such. Just a parking space at the stadium to lower the ramp for rear access motorised wheelchair to offload.

But they were TOLD they would automatically get a disabled space, for free. This has changed right at the last minute and they're now in limbo with the club's "working on it" patter being trotted out whilst able-bodied spaces are being sold off not knowing whether to buy a space or wait whilst the club acts as judge and jury over whether our disabled condition is sufficiently enough for one of the 46 spaces. It's simply inexcusable when, as evidence shows, the club have done a major u-turn, ignored questions and let this entire mess unfold without anyone in a position of authority seemingly care. And even if Perry himself rings 3-400 people himself today it's way too late.

Of course it also grates my family that they're being asked to pay at least another £180 pounds on top of several thousands they've had to find to fund 1901 seats...because the club has botched the disabled seating arrangements at the new stadium to begin with. That is another subject altogether though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As the club is a business I wonder how many disabled customers will now take their business elsewhere.

I'll keep a close eye on Phil and let you know the first time he bleats about something in the 1901 Club not being as described, or if he is pulled up for something the club have recently imposed. :lolol:

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'm really glad you have cleared this issue up.

I'll keep a close eye on Phil and let you know the first time he bleats about something in the 1901 Club not being as described, or if he is pulled up for something the club have recently imposed. :lolol:

It's wierd isn't it, when you are 100% in support of something, and sympathetic in the extreme to a situation, that some people take it as if you are for some reason against it, oh well, sorry if I have seemed that way.

HT. I think very strongly that the whole thing is a disgrace, if that helps you to understand my thoughts. I've made some points about why I think they have made the decisions they have, what ever way you wrap it up. I couldn't be more on the side of you and the others commenting here. I've also made my points crystal clear on the 1901 stuff, the changes to promises, the recently altered rules. I'm over that, and have even made some suggestions as to how part of the problem could be improved.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
The club CHOSE to open other areas. They CHOSE to prioritise 1901 members over disabled supporters. They could've kept the 1901 club to its original planned size leaving the additional parking available for disabled users.

They CHOSE not to. They might well have been surprised at the demand for 1901 seats, but they had the option to say '1901 membership is now sold out'. They didn't. They added areas that weren't really available.

The reality is, rightly or wrongly, as mentioned previously the club is now operating within the service industry of entertainment (competing with cinemas, theatres, bowling alleys, even pubs) As such we have become 'customers' in the clubs eyes. Like all businesses these days it is all about the bottom line profit.

Where there is a stark difference is that unlike the local multiplex cinema for instance, supporters have a personal connection to the club. If the local theatre for instance has poor facilities, customers will vote with their feet and go to another venue. With football clubs, the only alternative is to find another club. After 30 odd years of following the Albion man and boy, and having introduced my children to Gully and his gang, to start all over again is simply unrealistic.

Those running the club know this. They are literally taking advantage of our loyalty to the stripes. I must confess that right now that loyalty is being stretched a very long way.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's wierd isn't it, when you are 100% in support of something, and sympathetic in the extreme to a situation, that some people take it as if you are for some reason against it, oh well, sorry if I have seemed that way.

HT. I think very strongly that the whole thing is a disgrace, if that helps you to understand my thoughts. I've made some points about why I think they have made the decisions they have, what ever way you wrap it up. I couldn't be more on the side of you and the others commenting here. I've also made my points crystal clear on the 1901 stuff, the changes to promises, the recently altered rules. I'm over that, and have even made some suggestions as to how part of the problem could be improved.

Loosen up man, I was only being a little mischievous, hence my smiley.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't know anything about what could have been done for disabled seating at the ground, without impacting on the stadium as a whole (ie, where to put a lift). What should have happened?

But all fans that cannot walk/wheel a distance should be offered the choice to buy a parking space close to the ground. Difficult to say whether they should be free without knowing how many fans would be entitled to the spaces, and hopefully mates can join them to spread the cost.

But they really have to be able to get a space.

Oct 10, 2009
Brighton BN1 6GD
The whole thing is a complete shambles...not helped by the fact the club doesn't have a clue what ambulant disabled means. So disappointed with the so called ''Community Club''...sorry the title doesn't wash any more - the board don't seem able to look after all their supporters. So much for Falmer for All - we also went on marches for this club, often very painful. Why does it matter what other clubs do or what the DDA says - why not do better..the pies and beer are prioirties, why not disabled supporters? At the moment, we will need to get a cab (at best) to get there or not go at all - would someone like to refund our cab fare and/or season ticket?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Will be at the fans forum Tuesday,if anybody has reasonable questions to ask re disabled parking I'm quite willing to put them forward to the club.Bear in mind that space is limited...as a disabled supporter I went to Southampton,no chance to park anywhere near the ground,I went into reception and was told all disabled spaces booked by home supporters,had to go to Park and ride miles away by the M27. PM me with questions before Monday,THANKS.

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
I'm not sure there's much more I can add to this discussion, but I'll try anyway. I haven't applied for a parking space even though I have a blue badge. My Dad is my carer & will be coming in on the bus from Crowborough, using his bus pass. If I couldn't get on the train on my own, then Dad has said he will come on the train to Brighton with me & put me on the Southampton train. Hopefully this will work, but it depends on how cold I will be during the winter (cold affects my mobility). as for the club asking for proof of your DLA when asking for a parking space, well that's a pile of pants! Eligibility for DLA has no affect on whether you get a blue badge or not; it's down to your GP putting the right reasons down on your application form.
Please let me know if there's anything I can do, although I can only send emails as I'm 8000 miles away. As an aside, I'm disabled and work for the Ministry of Defence. They have made it as easy as possible for me to come & work in the Falklands. They don't have any disabled parking spaces, but I've been told to park where I like so long as I'm not blocking a fire exit

Oct 10, 2009
Brighton BN1 6GD
Seagull on the Wing...just some thoughts to do with what you will at the forum ...do the club know about the distinction between ambulant, transitory and wheelchair disability...all have differing needs, & parking needs. Also, perhaps ask them, why can't we be better re disability than the other clubs, not just meet(?!) the minimums necessary? We're aiming for 'better' everywhere else eg pies. Finally...do we have a supporters disability officer for the club? Ta

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
The whole thing is a complete shambles...not helped by the fact the club doesn't have a clue what ambulant disabled means. So disappointed with the so called ''Community Club''...sorry the title doesn't wash any more - the board don't seem able to look after all their supporters. So much for Falmer for All - we also went on marches for this club, often very painful. Why does it matter what other clubs do or what the DDA says - why not do better..the pies and beer are prioirties, why not disabled supporters? At the moment, we will need to get a cab (at best) to get there or not go at all - would someone like to refund our cab fare and/or season ticket?

The line of quote that I whole heartedly agree with is: Why does it matter what other clubs do or what the DDA says - why not do better..the pies and beer are prioirties, why not disabled supporters?

Many supporters are telling their stories and concerns on this thread. You are by no means alone in thinking can I get a parking space? Can I afford a further £180 because I have no choice but to travel by car?

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Will be at the fans forum Tuesday,if anybody has reasonable questions to ask re disabled parking I'm quite willing to put them forward to the club.Bear in mind that space is limited...as a disabled supporter I went to Southampton,no chance to park anywhere near the ground,I went into reception and was told all disabled spaces booked by home supporters,had to go to Park and ride miles away by the M27. PM me with questions before Monday,THANKS.

Hi there Seagull!,

A quick look through this thread alone will give you sufficient information to ask enough questions on the subject of disabled supporters and disabled parking to fill the whole forum time allocated.

Just in case you are struggling, lets start with the hot button topic right now:

Why did the club send BODS an email on April 29th confirming there will be no charge for disabled parking, which basically reiterated what was told to us all at the time of purchasing our STs, and then this week announce that they would now be charging £180 per space?

As someone mentioned previously, Falmer for all!?! more like Falmer for those with deep pockets!

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
It is very clear that there is a great deal of groundswell support behind this issue. Not just from those of us who are being put through the wringer like this when we can all do without it, but also are able bodied colleagues on the terraces.

Quite apparently from the various references on this thread alone, the club in the form of Mr Perry, and Mr Brown, are being told of the problem for some time, but have chosen to swot it away like an unwelcome fly. They have done such a bad job, particularly of a PR nature, that the fly has now become a bloody big nest of wasps and collectively we are gunning for the club, to resolve this promptly with the utmost of respect.

With so many outspoken voices, daring to utter their complaints (how dare we?) enough has to be enough, and we should look to formulate a proper plan of action to address this issue collectively rather than as lone voices.

May I take the bold step of publicly requesting that one of the moderators, possibly Bozza who has far more knowledge than of this medium (sorry I am a dinosaur), to gather us together online to move this forward. I garner that from this thread alone there are at least 22 of us, who obviously feel agrieved enough to challenge this somehow.

Let me put my name down first as someone who is prepared to 'get involved' on this issue. I would be grateful to receive via PM any suggestions or comments from fellow posters.

tinytears

Feb 5, 2010
Seagull on the Wing...just some thoughts to do with what you will at the forum ...do the club know about the distinction between ambulant, transitory and wheelchair disability...all have differing needs, & parking needs. Also, perhaps ask them, why can't we be better re disability than the other clubs, not just meet(?!) the minimums necessary? We're aiming for 'better' everywhere else eg pies. Finally...do we have a supporters disability officer for the club? Ta
No . There is no DLO at the club. I believe it is Sally Townsend's remit as customer services manager.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
So really ?

1) Parking for disabled supporters was originally presented as free.
2) There are less places than originally presented.
3) It appears they have been chipped away by 1901 members.

Sorry, whatever has changed behind the scenes - the disabled supporters deserve a huge apology if nothing else.

Point needs to be reiterated that a parking space in many cases is the ONLY way that enables disabled supporters to get to the stadium. So for every seat in the stadium they MUST be guaranteed.

Should they be paid for ? Well a nominal fee would be appropriate. The "level playing field" argument doesn't apply here if it's the only means of getting to stadium.

Don't give a toss what other clubs do or what the law states. Our disabled supporters have had a very rough deal for years - I should know, I sat in there as a helper for years under the butchers canopy that was taken down when the weather got too bad :lolol:

Come on club - do the right thing ! Start taking back some of those parking spaces for disabled fans - it's the only solution in the short term.

Otherwise, it takes the shine off all the good work that has done in the clubs name over the last few years.

I honestly expected the stadium to winning accessibility awards - with all the noise that were coming out before the thing was actually built.

I do honestly expect the club to sort this out - there is hope.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here