Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dirty Pretty Things

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
Morning all.

Anyone going to see Dirty Pretty Things tonight?

Now, I won tickets for the gig, and thought "Cool, not a bad band, free, a good way to start the week."

Yesterday I discovered that it is a Silent Disco thing, ie you wear headphones and the band play silentlyish- drummer in a soundproof booth, guitars non-amplified etc.

Could go either way I feel- yes there is a novelty to it, but I'm a seasoned gig goer, and feel the experience just might be a too odd. Although you wouldn't have to put up with tone deaf bloke behind you singing wrong words, you also couldn't "get in the thick of it" lest the headphones be knocked from your bonce leaving you in silence!

Discuss.

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
It's at Concord2.

Yeah, does sound a bit crap, although Fun Lovin' Criminals did it last week, and people seemed to enjoy it.

We'll see...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Sounds like a load of shit, if you ask me.

The whole point of the silent disco is that it's used at festivals where noise levels are capped past certain times or there are two dj's playing and everyone dances to a different tune, as it were. Neither is the case here, so it's gonna be rubbish. SURELY.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I saw them live and they were pretty shite. But the hundreds of bed-wetting, self-harmers around me were loving it

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
Yes Chappers, I totally agree, and would also be good to do in a venue where live music is usually a no-no due to sound pollution (although they wouldn't have the set up in the first place to do such a thing!).

Seems a bit sterile to me, and a bit dull. But, I'll go with an open(ish) mind, and see what happens.

As an aside, it must be a bit of a pisser if you're working the bar, and enjoy the band, as you wouldn't be able to hear them, although there'd be no one shouting at you for drinks!

Dan, I'll let you know.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
think the silent disco part is AFTER the band on the whole , but yeah it does seem strange going to a gig and listening to it through headphones

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
For those who care, it was actually alright, maybe because of the free drinks, maybe because of the dressing up stuff, maybe because of the band- I had fun.

Now here's to the rest of the f**king week at work... GRRR!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
yeah definitely alot better then expected really .. will definitely go again , and recomend to someone who is sceptical about the possibility :)

Saw Mystery Jets last night doing the Silent Disco thing. It was a laugh, that is for sure. Electric drum kit which is why it doesn't sound quite as good, and the sound needed to be louder, but I can't complain as it was a freebie.

Going again on Thursday for Supergrass. Hopefully they will have sorted the volume problems from last night for this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here