Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Direct debits

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Shocking response, “direct-debit processing error”, need somebody who has been hit with bank charges to contact the club and find out what they hell they going to do about compensation.

This was The Insiders response on Ask The Club:

The April payment should have debited on the 1st April – but due to a direct-debit processing error, payments were processed a day early. We apologise for any inconvenience this might have caused. For those fans who've incurred charges - we ask they supply details relating directly to the payment being deducted early and we will consider refunding the charge. They will need to supply a bank statement showing the missed payment, charge and also demonstrating that sufficient funds were available in the account on the 1st April to cover the payment.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

The April payment should have debited on the 1st April – but due to a direct-debit processing error, payments were processed a day early. We apologise for any inconvenience this might have caused. For those fans who've incurred charges - we ask they supply details relating directly to the payment being deducted early and we will consider refunding the charge. They will need to supply a bank statement showing the missed payment, charge and also demonstrating that sufficient funds were available in the account on the 1st April to cover the payment.

That was his response to my post and I went yesterday to the ticket office with the letter from Barclays and to be fair, I was allowed to pay over the counter, my Grandsons missing payment less the Bank charge he had from the bank.
So I have no complaints with the way the club have rectified their error.

modulate

Nov 23, 2013
It is an awful basic reply which doesn't cover the.situation at all. As of this morning the club havstill made.no attempt to claim mine. I spoke to them a week or so ago at their request to clarify some details as I'd.changed the.direct debit account. They saisd then that they had no idea why they had emailed to ask me.to call but that it was fine and.would go out as scheduled

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Obviously it is just plain wrong if a company takes a DD before the agreed date - especially when people organise their finances accordingly.

But if a payment of between £40 and £50 left my account a few days early and caused me to go overdrawn / incur bank charges then personally I'd be more worried about my own cash-flow than the club's administration. That seems way too marginal to be comfortable.

But yes - the club were wrong to do this.

That's a very naive attitude to hold. I'm not a STH as circumstances don't allow it but when I was in work I was paid on the last day of the month as is my partner. On that day a standing order transfers money to our joint account to pay all the bills ( a majority of which go out on the 1st ). If any company took the money a day early it would bounce. Partly because of the way we manage the bill money but primarily because we don't tend to have any money come the last few days of the money. At the beginning of the month we budget to the penny leaving a small reserve for the unknown ( kids rip a pair of school trousers, a sudden birthday invite for one of the kids etc ). We'd love to have money left at the end but it is rare. It would be nice if people like you didn't look down on these situations and imply people in them are somehow stupid. Try living hand to mouth for a while and see how stressful it really is.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Mine came out early as well however, yet again, they haven't claimed for my 2 boys tickets. The last time this happened and I provided proof that the money was there but they literally didn't claim for it I was told it would still be treated as a 'failed DD' and I was liable for the £10 fine. Class act

My DD for March (last payment for this season's ST) failed, even though the money was there.
The email I received from the club stated
"While your account is in arrears, your card will remain blocked.
Additionally, if more than one payment is missed in the course of a season, you will be liable to a £10 administration charge."

I checked with my bank, they said it failed because they had on their system that it had "finished". i.e. 11 payments instead of 12.
I phoned the club to pay for the missed payment and told them point blank that I would NOT be paying any charge for it.
They said they normally do but would waive it this time.

Premier League ready my arse.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

So, the club add a charge of £10 if you slip into arrears on your DD, I understand the reasons for this.
But when the reverse happens and they take money early, you have to prove that their mistake caused you a problem and then they will CONSIDER refunding the charges?
They should be saying we WILL refund any charges you may have incurred as a result of our error, grovel a bit more and the **** that got it wrong should see how much money they have cost the club by taking the money early.

This response has really forced home to me that we are just customers and that the club don't even respect that relationship properly.

Yoda

English & European

That'll cover me then

That was his response to my post and I went yesterday to the ticket office with the letter from Barclays and to be fair, I was allowed to pay over the counter, my Grandsons missing payment less the Bank charge he had from the bank.
So I have no complaints with the way the club have rectified their error.

Although my bank normally charge up to £25 for a failed DD. The club are gonna love me aren't they. :lolol:

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
My DD for March (last payment for this season's ST) failed, even though the money was there.
The email I received from the club stated
"While your account is in arrears, your card will remain blocked.
Additionally, if more than one payment is missed in the course of a season, you will be liable to a £10 administration charge."

I checked with my bank, they said it failed because they had on their system that it had "finished". i.e. 11 payments instead of 12.
I phoned the club to pay for the missed payment and told them point blank that I would NOT be paying any charge for it.
They said they normally do but would waive it this time.

Premier League ready my arse.

On my occasion a few months a day before the payment was due they emailed saying the bank had advised them the payment would not be honoured as the DD had been cancelled or moved to a different account. I received that email in the evening so left it. Then the next day mine and my eldest boys came out but they didn't claim my youngest boys DD.
I went in to the shop and offered to pay cash after explaining it. They wouldn't take the payment because the bank report wasn't back.
A week later I tried again over the phone and was told id be charged.
I contact the bank and they no record of the email of claim in fact saying 'it's not something we've ever done' ie: if someone claims money and there's none in there they can't pay it. No emails sent or received.
I present this to the club (as they sent me this info by email for way if proof) clubs response: sorry it's a failed DD so will be charged UNLESS......you pay up the reminder of your sons DD season ticket (3 months at that point) and we will waive the fee.

Ummmm......no. A bit if a principle thing so the card remains blocked and will do until they accept it's not mine or my banks fault and is theirs.

A bit shocking really. V disappointed in the whole thing!

modulate

Nov 23, 2013
I had a similar issue before I changed account and actually received a letter from the club stating my season ticket had been.cancelled and my seat would be put on general sale. Apparently this was an admin error but a very frustrating one that is increasing my disillusionment with the club right now

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I had a similar issue before I changed account and actually received a letter from the club stating my season ticket had been.cancelled and my seat would be put on general sale. Apparently this was an admin error but a very frustrating one that is increasing my disillusionment with the club right now

I know what you mean, I have just received an email today from them, offering me free post and packaging for any on line merchandise I want to buy until the 20th April.
But it is not addressed to me, but to some guy called Phil whoever he is.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I know what you mean, I have just received an email today from them, offering me free post and packaging for any on line merchandise I want to buy until the 20th April.

And yet we're meant to have moved on from the "cottage industry" type club ..... current experience suggests not.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath

Mine is addressed to do tone called Alberto. That's not my mine although I do think I could carry it off....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here