Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Die young to become a legend ?

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
McCartney is the main genius of The Beatles.

Miles Davis, Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon and Steve Winwood are some longtime legends, death should not be a requirement for that recognition.
Jeff Buckley or Curt Cobain? Hmm, I have to stretch my imagination for those names. Why no Elliott Smith then?

Sid Vaccuous? Not. at. all.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I always wonder how Freddie Mercury would have been perceived if he had been alive and well now.

Obviously he was BRILLIANT, but would it be the same if he'd still be touring now with Queen prancing around in his vests?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
McCartney is the main genius of The Beatles.

Miles Davis, Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon and Steve Winwood are some longtime legends, death should not be a requirement for that recognition.
Jeff Buckley or Curt Cobain? Hmm, I have to stretch my imagination for those names. Why no Elliott Smith then?

Sid Vaccuous? Not. at. all.

I would beg to differ on the Paul McCartney front. He and Lennon wrote some great stuff together, but personally I much prefer the Lennon influence. he would never have come up with such inane twaddle as the Frog's Chorus or Mull of Kintyre.

And Miles Davis died a number of years ago. He wasn't particularly old, but neither was he in the first flush of youth.

-Edit - he died in 1991 at the age of 65, having recorded shedloads of studio albums, let alone all the other stuff.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Lots of Hollywood icons didn't die in youth but sadly beacame slightly odd old men, Tony Curtis, Charlton Heston, Marlon Brando for example. Some legends died broke and unliked such as Charlie Chaplin. And some remaine/d dignified such as Paul Newman, Redford, Eastwood. Personally I couldn't abide James Dean, but I suppose in his day he represented the never before seen teenage rebel. Monroe would have never lasted, she had great screen presence but was, forgive me for speaking ill of the dead, an averagely talented, junkie trollop.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Others
Sid vicious
Phil Lynnot
Jimi Hendrix
Bob Marley
Kurt Cobain

Another one to be added to this list is Amy Winehouse....

As for living legends, I reckon you could add Mick Jagger and the other Rolling Stones. (Nearly??) 50 years of touring and still selling out!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here