Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did you celebrate Albion's "goal"?

Did you celebrate Albion's "goal"?

• Yes!

Votes: 100 51.5%
  • No, I am generally fearful of VAR.

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • No, I suspected Burn was going to get called up for something.

Votes: 34 17.5%
  • No - other reason (please state)

Votes: 10 5.2%

• Total voters

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That won't happen. If a goal is scored, kick off has to wait until the VAR check is complete. We know this because we and West Ham were ready to take kick off after Trossard's goal, but the ref wouldn't let us until he had confirmation from the VAR. If a last minute goal is being checked, the ref will know and will wait for the decision before allowing the game to kick off before the final whistle.

Ah..ok

It was very odd today that CUS carried on and 5 minutes later got the all clear.

Is there a cut off time for the VAR ruling to be made?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ah..ok

It was very odd today that CUS carried on and 5 minutes later got the all clear.

Is there a cut off time for the VAR ruling to be made?

My understanding is that if there is a query 'in play' (which will mainly be was it a penalty or a red card) play will continue until the next break in play and then wait. I'm not aware of any time limit for the check itself. Following the penalty incident, the ball eventually went out for a throw and then they had to wait for the VAR decision to be made. With a goal, there will always be a break in play.

This does of course raise the possibility that there is a potential red card/penalty incident in the last minute and time expires before the check is complete. The red card might seem almost moot that late in the game, but if a player who should have gone makes a goal saving block, in that period of time between the incident and full time, that could cause... complaints. And obviously thinking you've squeaked a draw or one goal win and time's up only to have to see the penalty taken. Could be a confusing end - ref blows for something that may or may not be full time, everyone is standing around, while the ref is there with a finger in his ear...

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
My understanding is that if there is a query 'in play' (which will mainly be was it a penalty or a red card) play will continue until the next break in play and then wait. I'm not aware of any time limit for the check itself. Following the penalty incident, the ball eventually went out for a throw and then they had to wait for the VAR decision to be made. With a goal, there will always be a break in play.

Sadly there is no time limit the VAR rule states

6. There is no time limit for the review process as accuracy is more important than speed.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Burn was not offside from the corner. He was not adjudged to have fouled the Southampton goalie. By the time dunk headed the ball, the goalie had stumbled and was on the ground. Regardless of Burn's position he could not have stopped the goal. Since var analyses events to the nth degree does his mean that Burn was interfering with play simply by being there ? Even if it made no difference to the outcome ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Burn was not offside from the corner. He was not adjudged to have fouled the Southampton goalie. By the time dunk headed the ball, the goalie had stumbled and was on the ground. Regardless of Burn's position he could not have stopped the goal. Since var analyses events to the nth degree does his mean that Burn was interfering with play simply by being there ? Even if it made no difference to the outcome ?

Stumbled on the ground because Burn had interfered with him while in an offside position. If Burn is not there the keeper doesn't go to ground, and can get across to save the shot. He was offside, not from the corner, but from Dunk's shot.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Thank god we didn’t have VAR back in the days of the last Goldstone game. Storer’s goal would have been disallowed due to Craig Maskell totally manhandling the Doncaster keeper to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Did you celebrate Albion's "goal"?

I did celebrate because I only clocked Burn’s position when the referee just stood there with his finger in his ear. It was the correct call but the process is torturous.

My concern is that VAR is already leading to lazy refereeing. Either that or they’re just not very good. That one was so clear the linesman should have stuck his flag up straight away. It also ought to have been obvious to Kevin Friend, who was also in a position to see a foul on the goalkeeper. And yet we had to wait…

Likewise, in the Norwich match, The on-field officials appeared to make no decision at all when Krul was failed late on and the ball was in the net. They should either give a goal or disallow it, then have their decision checked.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
If Burn continues to stand in front of keeper for our corners defence only has to move out like yesterday and no hope of scoring. If it had been Murray we would have said typical. Dont understand why Burn didnt move out with there defence but he does seem beyond criticism. Can only think not watching ball and concentrating on blocking keeper

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If Burn continues to stand in front of keeper for our corners defence only has to move out like yesterday and no hope of scoring. If it had been Murray we would have said typical. Dont understand why Burn didnt move out with there defence but he does seem beyond criticism. Can only think not watching ball and concentrating on blocking keeper

Stephens was in that position last week.

It's not a Burn decision, it's a Potter plan.

I find it a little odd.

No because I saw the Saints protesting as one almost straight away and our players looking very hesitant. Knew the game was up straight away, nothing to do with VAR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here