Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Did we miss a trick on Saturday?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Murray won a lot of headers but we rarely had anyone running on to the flick-ons. I would have been tempted to bring Andone on for Ali J and give him free rein on the left/inside left channel. We looked dangerous from set plays and having Murray still on towards the end would have given us more firepower.

Having said that, I think we had a number of good situations that better pass decision and execution would have created real chances eg Knocky overlapping Izqueirdo near the end.

PG

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I just think Man City defended fantastically well. We tried to create chances but they snuffed everything out. People talk about the great attacking talent City have, with good reason, but their defence is just as well drilled.

John Stones on the bench for f*cks sake!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Kept my opinion until now so that 1 1/2 days have elapsed since the disappointment of Saturday.

I have watched the full 90 minutes 3 times now, once at the stadium on Saturday, and believe it or not twice yesterday. Having now watched it 3 times, I firmly believe we really missed a fantastic opportunity to turn the screws on City, during the last 25/20 minutes.

OK, they may have been under par, or we may actually have made them under par, who knows.

I would like to think that I do have a good knowledge of football tactics, as those who know me, will know that through the teams I have managed.

So, I got to thinking last night, did the Manager miss a trick with the changes made during the game? And what would I have done it differently.

3 substitutions made:
Murray Substituted for Andone at 66'
Jahanbakhsh Substituted for Izquierdo at 70'
Bissouma Substituted for Locadia at 82'

2 like for like changes in the space of 4 minutes, and the most attacking central midfielder for a forward. So, we went from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 for 8 minutes.

We're the best changes made at the best times to give us the best chance of getting a goal back? IMHO no.

So here is what I would have done.
Based on how well we played for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half I would have done the following:

Montoya Substituted for Burn at 60'
The formation would have then changed, from a 4-5-1 to a 3-5-2. I would have put Duffy up front with Murray and played Burn in the centre of a defensive 3, with Dunk on the Right. The reason I would have put Duffy up front is because he would be my next substitution.

After giving the back 3 10 minutes to settle into the new formation I would have done the next change.
Duffy Substituted for Andone at 70'
Now I still have my 3 across the back, and a very quick forward to run beyond Murray, winning headers.

5 minutes later my last throw on the dice.
Stephens Substituted for Locadia at 75'

I would not have taken my most attacking midfielder off at any stage.

I would have changed the formation again to a 3-4-3 with Bissouma at the top of a midfield diamond 4. Now I have Murray down the middle with Andone and Locadia either side. I hear you say what about the wingers getting tired, to reduce their energy, and to use a coined phrase in football, I would now have reverted to hoof ball up to the front 3, meaning the wingers do not see so much of the ball thus doing less work.

Bissouma would now be playing right behind the front 3.

All hind-site I know, but I just thought with 20 left, why didn't we throw the kitchen sink at City. Alright we might of conceded another couple of goals, but at least we would have had a real go. All of our attacking players should of been on the pitch at the same time for me.

I would of told my players as soon Monday/Tuesday what my tactics were, and I might have even used some of the tactics against Chelsea.

All about opinions.

Would you have done anything different?

So what you're basically saying, with your history of coaching, knowledge of tactics and with the power of 20/20 hindsight, having watched the game 3 times, you're a better coach then Chris Hughton?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Kept my opinion until now so that 1 1/2 days have elapsed since the disappointment of Saturday.

I have watched the full 90 minutes 3 times now, once at the stadium on Saturday, and believe it or not twice yesterday. Having now watched it 3 times, I firmly believe we really missed a fantastic opportunity to turn the screws on City, during the last 25/20 minutes.

OK, they may have been under par, or we may actually have made them under par, who knows.

I would like to think that I do have a good knowledge of football tactics, as those who know me, will know that through the teams I have managed.

So, I got to thinking last night, did the Manager miss a trick with the changes made during the game? And what would I have done it differently.

3 substitutions made:
Murray Substituted for Andone at 66'
Jahanbakhsh Substituted for Izquierdo at 70'
Bissouma Substituted for Locadia at 82'

2 like for like changes in the space of 4 minutes, and the most attacking central midfielder for a forward. So, we went from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 for 8 minutes.

We're the best changes made at the best times to give us the best chance of getting a goal back? IMHO no.

So here is what I would have done.
Based on how well we played for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half I would have done the following:

Montoya Substituted for Burn at 60'
The formation would have then changed, from a 4-5-1 to a 3-5-2. I would have put Duffy up front with Murray and played Burn in the centre of a defensive 3, with Dunk on the Right. The reason I would have put Duffy up front is because he would be my next substitution.

After giving the back 3 10 minutes to settle into the new formation I would have done the next change.
Duffy Substituted for Andone at 70'
Now I still have my 3 across the back, and a very quick forward to run beyond Murray, winning headers.

5 minutes later my last throw on the dice.
Stephens Substituted for Locadia at 75'

I would not have taken my most attacking midfielder off at any stage.

I would have changed the formation again to a 3-4-3 with Bissouma at the top of a midfield diamond 4. Now I have Murray down the middle with Andone and Locadia either side. I hear you say what about the wingers getting tired, to reduce their energy, and to use a coined phrase in football, I would now have reverted to hoof ball up to the front 3, meaning the wingers do not see so much of the ball thus doing less work.

Bissouma would now be playing right behind the front 3.

All hind-site I know, but I just thought with 20 left, why didn't we throw the kitchen sink at City. Alright we might of conceded another couple of goals, but at least we would have had a real go. All of our attacking players should of been on the pitch at the same time for me.

I would of told my players as soon Monday/Tuesday what my tactics were, and I might have even used some of the tactics against Chelsea.

All about opinions.

Would you have done anything different?

Perhaps some are more qualified to make them than others....best to give up the day job just yet :)

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
I think CH nailed it. City are SO dangerous, if we switched to 3 at the back for the last half hour they could've hit us on the break and scored more than once. I think anything more than the last 10 minutes of really going for it exposes us too much to get hit by their counter, bearing in mind they're probably the best team in the world.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Worth listening to the Football Daily podcast (BBC) from yesterday. Three pundits...they all thought Hughton got it spot on. A good debate (to be honest I was waiting for them to lay into us, à la Shearer and Jeans, but they were far more rational).

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
So what you're basically saying, with your history of coaching, knowledge of tactics and with the power of 20/20 hindsight, having watched the game 3 times, you're a better coach then Chris Hughton?

Absolutely not, what I am saying is, I believe we missed a trick, if only we were more bold in the decision making, who knows.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
The Wolves manager did a "shut up shop" substitution - lot of good it did him

Actually thought we played better when pushing on in a 4 3 3 formation than when we went 4 4 2

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Absolutely not, what I am saying is, I believe we missed a trick, if only we were more bold in the decision making, who knows.

When you say bold decisions and who knows...I think it's time to look toward Bournemouth.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Well I think we've found the Chris's replacement

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

theboybilly

Or Ryan just standing there with so little to do, against the “greatest” team/squad on the planet.

I can't disagree with that point at all but City did all they had to do and could afford to rest players while doing so. I enjoyed the game and was proud of the Albion. We are getting there slowly but are just not ready to take the game to the opposition like say, sides like Watford, Everton, West Ham (as they have done tonight at Chelsea) and Wolves. But it will come I'm sure if we can survive this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here