Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did the break do us a favour?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
It stopped our non-winning, downwards momentum, a squad who’d forgotten how to win. Tired minds and bodies given a sabbatical.

I agree with this and others who have suggested the same. I don't think we would have beaten Arsenal before the break the way our home form was going.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The fact that our squad has been used throughout the season and is interchangeable without any star players is a big plus with the ability to use 5 subs imo. The whole squad can be considered first team players, not many of the other relegation candidates have that luxury.

This is my thinking also.

Funnily enough one of the expert journos on Sunday Supplement this morning commented that Arsenal should benefit with the extra subs more then us as “they have far more quality in their squad”..

I think that is highly debatable. We still lack a replacement for Andone, but aside from that Ashworth and Potter have been quietly building an impressive squad. And will only get better as MacAllister and Lamptey get more involved, as well as Ben White and Molumby next season.

Yes, no question. I've been in a bloody good mood today due to our win yesterday. I don't care about the hangover either, well worth it.

Having Alex Mac', Lamptey etc all on the bench and of excellent quality, I feel we've got enough to stay up, we just need to keep our heads held high and approach each game with confidence. Macallister really excites me, I think he's going to be class. Really would like to see him start next weekend, I don't mind if he doesn't though as our midfield had a great game yesterday.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We weren’t on a terrible run of performances just results. We had some good points but dropped some we shouldn’t have

This. Away draws at Wolves and Shef U? I think some people's minds had curdled after the Palace defeat.

It's a funny old game.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Did the enforced break do us a favour, allowing the team to digest the huge shift in play that’s been asked of them?

I’m a great believer in stepping away from things can help you process and adjust, maybe this is what the team needed?

I don't see it like that. A big result had been coming. Remember we've been in the game for every (with I think 3 exceptions) match this season going into the last 10 minutes. If you do that you give yourself a chance.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Did the enforced break do us a favour, allowing the team to digest the huge shift in play that’s been asked of them?

I’m a great believer in stepping away from things can help you process and adjust, maybe this is what the team needed?

Hope so. Having that "No win in 2020" sign hanging round our necks must have been demoralising to all at the club. Gone now :clap:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't see our performances in that Arsenal game as any different to the ones we played before the break.

The difference is that we were the right side of the wafer thin margins, eg Aubamyang's offside goal, a 95th minute winner. We've been competitive in every match in 2020. Even when we've not played that well, like against Palace, we were right in the game until the end and that gives you a good chance to get the break to turn things around.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I don't think the Break was beneficial to anyone.

I think what did help though was the fact that no scouts from other Clubs got to watch the team play in a previous match, so there was a bit of the unknown to the game for both sides and that might have helped.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Like Norwich, Villa, West Ham and Bournemouth you mean?

I said it is what you want, and that we have benefited.

I never said it was guaranteed to help.

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
My take all along is that given the players have had the longest break in their careers, and return to alien surroundings adaptability and intelligence and professionalism with fitness will play as much a part as technical ability. We have a very shrewd and bright young coach, who will have realised this and prepared the team according. So to answer the OP’s question, yes it did, because non technical things will give us an advantage over less smart teams.

Agree with this - in what has been a hugely stressful situation for everyone, we have a manager who talks about the importance of taking responsibility, showing empathy and building relationships.

I know it's not a great comparison against a squad with clear issues - but we looked much more 'together' than Arsenal on Saturday. Tonight will be a test, as Rodgers has fashioned a similar spirit at Leicester.

We also looked fitter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here