Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Did people talk as much before Apple AirPods?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So. I’m sat outside a cafe and the people either side me are twittering away with AirPods in their ears. This is a situation I often come across in cafes, trams, trains and especially in an Uber where it seems mandatory for the driver to endlessly prattle on using one.

Why do people communicate much more these days? What is there to say Is it a good thing? Is it of value? Words for words sake? Given the sheer amount of time and words expelled they can’t all be insightful and interesting can they? How come the person on the other end never hangs up?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
So. I’m sat outside a cafe and the people either side me are twittering away with AirPods in their ears. This is a situation I often come across in cafes, trams, trains and especially in an Uber where it seems mandatory for the driver to endlessly prattle on using one.

Why do people communicate much more these days? What is there to say Is it a good thing? Is it of value? Words for words sake? Given the sheer amount of time and words expelled they can’t all be insightful and interesting can they? How come the person on the other end never hangs up?
Just generational trends. Millennials (like myself) still hate talking on the phone and will avoid it at all costs.

Gen Z love a phone call/voice note and have the general confidence not to worry about disturbing those around them.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I'm not sure it's a new thing. Before I started commuting to London (around 2004) I thought it would be great as I'd have hours on the train reading books. It turned out most days I had 5 minutes of reading and a few hours of contemplating attacking the twat near me shouting on a telephone

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just generational trends. Millennials (like myself) still hate talking on the phone and will avoid it at all costs.

Gen Z love a phone call/voice note and have the general confidence not to worry about disturbing those around them.
It’s not so much phone versus whatever ….more is there a need for all this talking period ?

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
In the old days, seeing someone walking down the street talking to themselves would see you trying to avoid the local mad person - now it is the norm.

The incessant need to speak to people is annoying - especially as many seem to forget these things have microphones and you don't have to go full "Dom Joly" shouting all the time.

The bit that I find really annoying is those people not wearing pods who hold the phone in front of them rather than by their head (like those idiots on the Apprentice) and then shout their conversation into the phone.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
You can tell the mark of a person by their ear furniture.
Sonys and you know you're on to something,

Having a couple of tampons pointing south speaks volumes.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
It’s not so much phone versus whatever ….more is there a need for all this talking period ?

I would normally respond to you but I'm trying to communicate less on my phone.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
People are increasingly told that anything they have to say is both correct and valid and encouraged to speak up.

Of course, us smart people know that 99% of what other people have to say is nonsense.

Shhh. Everyone!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Yes, I am a millennial (although I hate that term and these made up "generations") and I have always hated phone conversations. I never understand all these people walking down the street constantly on calls with people. If I go out for a walk it's usually to get away from conversations, even messaging on my phone.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Yes, I am a millennial (although I hate that term and these made up "generations") and I have always hated phone conversations. I never understand all these people walking down the street constantly on calls with people. If I go out for a walk it's usually to get away from conversations, even messaging on my phone.
If it can be a phone call, it can be an email/text.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
While we’re at it, when did it become a thing to think watching videos on public transport without headphones is perfectly acceptable?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
If it can be a phone call, it can be an email/text.

very true. I truly only speak to some of my customers (those that don't want to text or email) and my brothers & sisters on the phone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here