Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did Hitler bomb your house?

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Used to live in Dawson Terrace & remember my dad telling me how the house next door to ours was bombed during the war.
Never knew three bombs fell on our street

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Why is it I can only think of this Scouse twat when reading this thread ?

"they bombed our chip shop in the waaar..."

Attachments

• Stan_Boardman.jpeg
    Stan_Boardman.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 275

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Not Hitler directly, a member of the Luftwaffe managed to hit my grandparents place in West London with a fire-bomb, fortunately it was extinguished before it could do too much damage.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
My mums family lived in Seville Street, off Elm Grove. One raid was on the Kemp Town Railway line and a bomb dropped onto the embankment behind the house. The house was destroyed and an old aunt lost an eye.:(
Apparently my nan was going frantic because the families best dinner and tea service was blown to smithereens. Nothing like getting your priorities right!!!
They were rehoused in a rat infested flat in Roundhill Crescent where they watched doodle bugs flying over, dreading to hear the engines cut out!!!
Those that still survive seem to get some laughs out of it now and love to reminisce???

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Quite a few seem to have landed on open land (hollingbury golf course) so maybe some pilots didn't want to bomb people but just to lighten the load for the way home?

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Quite a few seem to have landed on open land (hollingbury golf course) so maybe some pilots didn't want to bomb people but just to lighten the load for the way home?

Quite possible there was anti aircraft guns there and they were aiming for them or some other mobile military target

Bracknell Towers was (apparently) damaged when a flying bomb attacked the adjacent railway line - although there are some older residents of Firle who cast doubt on this story.

The block of flats in Rotherhithe that my grandparents and mother lived in was certainly hit by bombs several times (as were the docks next door and the church across the road).

And my mum was inside the Gaumont Cinema in Lewisham when it was bombed. She got into terrible trouble for coming home late that night.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
My father was bombed out in Petts Wood at the age of 4 and evacuated to Harrogate. The house two down was flattened and the family there killed. Mum's house in Littlehampton was not bombed, but the Germans used to dump their bombs there on the way home. However, with Ford Aerodrome being nearby, there were frequent dogfights with the Luftwaffe. Her grandmother, who lived with them, would give her mother kittens, as she would go to the window to watch the fights. The nearest incident to me was the bombing of the Whitehall Cinema in East Grinstead, which killed a large number of people. Near my London place at Battersea, you will notice if you travel into Victoria, that there is a large amount of council housing by the railway line. This is because the Germans specifically targetted it. Dave Hylands, you have my condolences for the loss of your grandmother, very sad.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Anyone got anything similar for Worthing. My dad who was about 8-10 at the time swears that a bomb dropped at the end of their road.

D

Deleted User X18H

How wonderfully interesting our road appears unscathed although 'hits' either side of it.

Preston Village took a massive hit (s) which explains some of the architecture you see now.

There was I believe a munitions factory on the site of what is now the empty Tates Garage.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
How wonderfully interesting our road appears unscathed although 'hits' either side of it.

Preston Village took a massive hit (s) which explains some of the architecture you see now.

There was I believe a munitions factory on the site of what is now the empty Tates Garage.

The hits on Preston were incendaries, white phosphorous I recall, lots of burnt roofs.

D

Deleted User X18H

This accounts for most bombs in Brighton.

D

Deleted User X18H

Au contraire.

The Royal Pavilion - Hitler wanted it as a Nazi headquarters.

This is one of Brighton's biggest urban legends.

There is no way Hitler would have holed up so near to the coast and so far from London had his planned invasion been so successful.

Him and his forces would have been a sitting duck for an Allied (Yank) counter attack by sea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here