Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did Gus overachieve last season?

Did Gus overachieve last season?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well exactly 'it's not how much you have, it's how you spend it'. So is assembling a squad like that with the budget he had 'over-achieving'?

Fair point, you could argue that players came here because of Gus but it doesn't necessarily follow that he got the best out of them, in which case he overachieved in the quality of players for the budget, but underachieved when managing them?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well exactly 'it's not how much you have, it's how you spend it'. So is assembling a squad like that with the budget he had 'over-achieving'?
No, because the squad was comfortably good enough for a top 6 place.

Shopping better than most doesn't equal over achieving.

Gus and the Albion team could have spent the bulk of their budget on a couple of second rate Premier leaguers, and lost out badly.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Par for the course.
Glad he has gone and am looking forward to a fresh approach from O.G.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
If we did indeed have a 'lower half' playing budget, then it's hard to say he didn't overachieve overall. However, with the squad that we were able to put together on that playing budget (whatever it was), I think we should have been in play-offs at least, probably even in the automatic spots. It may well be that we wouldn't have got the likes of Bridge or PIG without Gus but, once we had them, we should have possibly done better.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Fair point, you could argue that players came here because of Gus but it doesn't necessarily follow that he got the best out of them, in which case he overachieved in the quality of players for the budget, but underachieved when managing them?

Gus never got the best out of CMS so it will be interesting to see the difference OG makes.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Gus never got the best out of CMS so it will be interesting to see the difference OG makes.

The jury is out on this one for me, I'm certainly not blaming Gus for CMS being a little disappointing. Hope OG can bring the best out in him but I don't have high hopes, love to be wrong as CMS comes across as a great guy!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
:facepalm:

Another one who doesn't think through their arguments. We are all well aware of your small-minded, xenophobic outlook on life and the Albion, but you're excelling yourself here.

How much he had to spend compared to previous Brighton managers is irrelevant - but we know it's a failed argument you'd use, and you didn't disappoint.

However, if you must compare him with previous Brighton managers, he did achieve the highest finish since Mullery's days.

Wrong, What about Mike Bailey, and Barry Lloyd took us to the final. Ok we didn't win it, but you could argue although the finishing position was lower, the season was more successful.....I don't give a shit about your views on my views. But if you want to slag me off, at least get your facts right, otherwise you make yourself look a bit of a tit, don't you???

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The jury is out on this one for me, I'm certainly not blaming Gus for CMS being a little disappointing. Hope OG can bring the best out in him but I don't have high hopes, love to be wrong as CMS comes across as a great guy!

Yep, the jury is out, but this is a bar that is set to judge by.

In our first Championship season CMS was rarely passed to because too much time was taken in the build up and he probably only had 5 seconds of real playing time over the 90, though he proably did 20Km running during the match. Time will tell anyway.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep, the jury is out, but this is a bar that is set to judge by.

In our first Championship season CMS was rarely passed to because too much time was taken in the build up and he probably only had 5 seconds of real playing time over the 90, though he proably did 20Km running during the match. Time will tell anyway.
There's no way the front man will be marooned under Oscar.
Whoever gets a partnership going with Ulloa should fill his boots.
CMS would be the ideal candidate (running off the flick-ons etc) but it could be anyone, Barnes, KLL, Orlandi et al.
I think it'll be the key to our season.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Firstly, those that are sick of talking about Gus, maybe you should close this thread now? :smile:

Personally I am going to ignore the play off semi final second leg which I think Gus fecked up. Easy I know to say in hindsight and we did hit the bar before they scored but I was really disappointed that we tried to pick Palace off by playing keep ball rather than going for them from the off. This was always a big risk imo as in Zaha Palace had a game changer in the side, if he hadn't been playing then I could have understood the approach from the Albion. It seems clear that all was unravelling by that evening anyway so I'll ignore that game in forming my opinion.

It's a tough one tbh but I think we could have got auto with the players we had, time will tell because Oscar's side is arguably not much weaker now, even before the transfer deadline closes, so it will be interesting to see how Oscar fares in this very very tough division ( no tougher than last year overall imo)

With the new season upon us and the dust settling around Gus how does NSC think Gus did last season? Obviously he did a fantastic job overall but do you think he overachieved?

I heard we had the 4th highest wage bill in the Championship and we finished...4th so I guess he finished where we should have been?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I heard we had the 4th highest wage bill in the Championship and we finished...4th so I guess he finished where we should have been?

The club said several times, at least Gus did, that we were around twelfth or thirteenth.

I'm in the overachievement camp. I don't think we have nearly as many Prem standard players as people think, which is why Poyet got the hump with Bloom

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm in the overachievement camp. I don't think we have nearly as many Prem standard players as people think, which is why Poyet got the hump with Bloom

I wonder if he'd take where he is now rather than where he was, in hindsight? He had no reason at all to have the hump with Bloom IMO.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
The club said several times, at least Gus did, that we were around twelfth or thirteenth.

I know they said that but I have it on very good authority that we had the 4th highest wage bill in the league.

You may not believe it but it is true.

Perhaps the club and Poyet wanted to dampen down expectations? Either way, finishing 4th was right so he didn't over achieve based purely on wage bill and it was the wage bill that Poyet continually harped on about.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
I wonder if he'd take where he is now rather than where he was, in hindsight? He had no reason at all to have the hump with Bloom IMO.

Absolutely correct.

It takes a team to do well not necessarily a bunch of expensive players. Orlandi, Ulloa, SD, Upson, PIG, Bridcutt, Bruno all played a big part in the season and none of them cost 'silly' money. To fall out with TB and suggest the club had 'hit the ceiling' was naive and totally ridiculous. Perhaps he thought we should be more like Chelski of a few years back or Man City now who just go out and buy full internationals on silly wages just to feed his ego.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I know they said that but I have it on very good authority that we had the 4th highest wage bill in the league.

You may not believe it but it is true.

Perhaps the club and Poyet wanted to dampen down expectations? Either way, finishing 4th was right so he didn't over achieve based purely on wage bill and it was the wage bill that Poyet continually harped on about.

We shall see when the figures are published but our wage bill wasn't the 4th highest. I don't care what your very good authority is unless you're prepared to name it.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
We shall see when the figures are published but our wage bill wasn't the 4th highest. I don't care what your very good authority is unless you're prepared to name it.

Anyone who attended the 1901 meeting last night would have heard it, twice.

I don't see that it was that big a deal really. Everyone who heard it did not raise an eyebrow about it as it was
said quite openly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here