Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did… did we just play with a Libero?!

el punal

I thought you said librarian which probably would have been apt as we did everything by the book. The result spoke volumes for our resolve. It was nice to see us start a new chapter in our proud history with Jack Hinshelwood being on the front page with his winner.

I shall now retire to my dusty shelf and turn over a new leaf. :drink:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yep, said much the same after twenty minutes when my mate said he was still wondering about our formation. I don't think it's happened much in recent years, has it?

Jimmy Grimble

Certainly in build-up phases Baleba was used there. It meant Gross could get higher up the pitch in the half spaces and gave us a safety net of speed for any counter attacks.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Is Libero the new term for sweeper?
They are actually different roles. A sweeper deals solely with defensive duties, normally permanently sitting deep behind two centre backs and two full backs. Their job is “sweep” behind the back four, covering opposition forwards running in behind. When in possession, they tend to distribute quickly to the nearest teammate and return to their position.

Back when teams generally played a 3-3-4 or 3-2-5 they would be on permanent defensive duty against multiple inside and centre forwards.

A libero is a playmaker starting play in the same area of the pitch (deep, often behind the back line) and looking to control possession and begin new attacks. This can be with long passes (as seen by the likes of Pirlo, Gerrard) or with carrying the ball forward through the defensive phase into midfield (ala Hoddle, Matthäus).

In short, a libero is a creative player attacking from deep in defence, and a sweeper is an out and out “last man”. They share some responsibilities, but are distinct positions on the pitch.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Brentford are usually dangerous on the counterattack and I think our defensive shape was designed to guard against that - which worked other than for the penalty! Allowed Gross and Hinshelwood to play further up - and both scored.
I’m probably not alone in sometimes looking at our line up and formation and thinking OMG how’s that gonna work - but it invariably does.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I couldn’t figure out the formation tonight. Gross starting at left back but spending most of the game on the edge of their box.

Baleba sitting so the CBs could split and Hinshelwood could roam. Then the next minute Baleba pressing their GK.

Wonderful stuff from RDZ, don’t think other managers, except Pep maybe would try something like this .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here