Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] did anyone else think the Brentford Pen was out the area?

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
We had a similar back in the Championship at Fulham, where the foul on Tomer Hemed started outside the area and carried on into it, so the Ref awarded a penalty.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It started outside the area, but it definitely continued inside the box too. Clear pen for me.
A clear example that you have to fall over or exaggerate things massively to get the decision awarded, as their player could easily have fallen over when the main contact was made, but it was outside the area so no real benefit to dive there - wait until in the area and then fall over with minimal contact (less than you see at every corner) and people (and more importantly the officials who seem to referee by reaction than offense) somehow seem to think it's a clear penalty :facepalm:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Think it was a nailed on penalty personally. I'd have been INCANDESCENT if we had not been given it, if the roles were reversed. Accepted the penalty immediately and was just happy that he didn't flourish a (harsh) red card.

The only doubt was whether (as the OP questions) the foul was inside the area or not - but that is one of the increasingly few things that I still actually have faith in the VAR to get right.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Bizarrely I thought it was a clear penalty and I'll moan abut any decision. Just thought JPVH was beaten he tripped and then lightly grabbed the attacker.

I'll now rewatch it and resume my normal sense of outrage.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Nailed on and in box in real time. In replay a lot less contact but still a pen.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
In both the Milner and van Hecke penalties their fate was sealed when they lost their balance and fell in Milner's case and stumbled in JP's. If they had stayed in control in both cases it would have appeared a strong challenge and wouldn't have been penalised.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
The foul continued into the box so irrelevant if first contact was outside. Looks soft when slowed down but in real time it looked anything but soft so can see why it was given and not overturned by VAR.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
It was also an unnecessary tackle, Igor was moving in and Steele would have had a better chance than against a penalty. It was a foul, but a massive tumble showed the striker had more confidence in a pen than finishing.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Think it was a nailed on penalty personally. I'd have been INCANDESCENT if we had not been given it, if the roles were reversed. Accepted the penalty immediately and was just happy that he didn't flourish a (harsh) red card.

The only doubt was whether (as the OP questions) the foul was inside the area or not - but that is one of the increasingly few things that I still actually have faith in the VAR to get right.
Yeah, it was a clear penalty. JPVH fouled him because he was beaten (mainly due to Hinsh and Baleba). Foul continued into the area so under the current laws penalty. Igor was coming around so it would've been difficult to argue that it was a DOGSO and red (would've been red if so as he clearly wasn't attempting to get the ball). Correctly gave a yellow.

It's very easy to batter refs and VAR at the moment for being crap but this was just a good application of the law, checked and approved by VAR without any of the officials getting overexcited and doing something weird.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here