[Albion] Did anyone actually ask Graham for an apology?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
And sometimes you hear boos and think you know what it means, but you don't.
Another thing about the apology stuff is that here and elsewhere on social media people were immediatly demanding apologies so to say that no one wanted apologies is simply bullshit. Plenty of people called out Bruno for not immediately releasing a farewell/apology. I suggested that none of them found it appropriate to release a football-related statement on the same day the Queen died but that they would eventually, people called it bollocks but that is what happened.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Another thing about the apology stuff is that here and elsewhere on social media people were immediatly demanding apologies so to say that no one wanted apologies is simply bullshit. Plenty of people called out Bruno for not immediately releasing a farewell/apology. I suggested that none of them found it appropriate to release a football-related statement on the same day the Queen died but that they would eventually, people called it bollocks but that is what happened.
Yeah, I wanted one at the time, we got a sorry if you feel that way sort of one, and that was it, I wasn't expecting another one, or a better one, or booing because the first one was not quite good enough. If I saw him in the street I doubt I would say anything to him at all, if I saw Bruno I would tell him I was sad he left, but wish him no ill, and if I saw Cucurella, I would tell him he should have stayed a bit longer. However, next game v Chelsea, if Potter, Cucurella and Bruno last that long, they will get a bit more of the same during the match.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yeah, I wanted one at the time, we got a sorry if you feel that way sort of one, and that was it, I wasn't expecting another one, or a better one, or booing because the first one was not quite good enough. If I saw him in the street I doubt I would say anything to him at all, if I saw Bruno I would tell him I was sad he left, but wish him no ill, and if I saw Cucurella, I would tell him he should have stayed a bit longer. However, next game v Chelsea, if Potter, Cucurella and Bruno last that long, they will get a bit more of the same during the match.
Anything else would disappoint me tbh

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He may be pathetic, evil, cold, incompetent and everything you want but what the f*** does that make you who keep endlessly going about him analyzing every move, every gesture, every personality trait you invent for him?
Sorry, what? You are on this messageboard because you followed him all the way from Sweden! What does that make you!?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sorry, what? You are on this messageboard because you followed him all the way from Sweden! What does that make you!?
Among other things it makes me one of the guys not driving around the streets looking for young Brighton players.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The press are really spinning Potters comment about 'nothing to apologise for' as if it's the delusional Brighton fans asking for an apology and that we should be more grateful for what he did for us.

It was actually Potter himself that said it, assuming that was why he was getting booed.

Emotional intelligence? ha - he has manipulated the situation to make himself look better and its worked, most of the gullible press and neutrals have bought it.

No one asked you for an apology Graham, no one begrudges your money move, no one is that stupid to think you couldn't turn it down.

But don't expect to be thanked for it - as you say 'its business'.

Silly comments like that will however damage your legacy.
All of this has been blown so far out of context it is ridiculous.

He walked straight into me in the tunnel as he was heading to do his post-match interview and I said, "oi watch it mate."
He replied that I should watch it. I told him to apologise, and he wouldn't. He was actually still yelling at me when the interview started.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yep this.

I have to say, my expectation was that Potter's knowledge of us, his tactical guile and his £billion squad, would deliver a humiliation of BHA.
However, it was our player's understanding of his tactics, a hostile atmosphere and De Zerbi's aggressive style, which totally undid him.

It has punctured his ego and reputation and he knows it.
I too half expected that we would suffer. But on Saturday morning I just felt confident we would be ok.
Potter unbeaten at Chelsea.
De Zerbi without a win at Brighton.
We had never beaten them in the top flight.
players would be up for it.
Hostile crowd.
Didn’t expect it to be that hostile, but DID expect an atmosphere and the crowd getting behind the team.

it had shock home win written all over it, and I’m very happy I was there.

And in all, Potter did do very well for us, but he’s yesterday’s man. The King is dead, long live the KING.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
If he had an ounce of emotional intelligence he would have subbed Cucurella at H/T and not sent him back out ton the slaughter just to drag him off and face the walk of shame in front of the baying Albion faithful. Real dick move.
100% this. I was staggered that Cucurella wasn’t subbed at HT. March was all over him in the first half and myself and a mate assumed that he would be part of a tactical change at HT. Most players seem to ignore the rule whereby you walk off the closest part of the pitch but being 3-1 down I assume Cucurella had no choice. Nice bit of panto for his walk of shame though!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Unsurprisingly the berk that is Andy Jacobs on TalkSport has just ranted that Brighton fans should be showing gratitude for Potter, and our treatment of him is disgraceful.

Another one who has no idea what he’s talking about.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think him and the team was already booed in one of the draws.

Like GP said, sometimes you deserve boos (even if a result is good) and sometimes you don't (despite results not always being great).
They booed him in his very first game, I suspect that must have really hurt him considering he was utterly indignant after a smattering of Albion fans had the temerity to boo (wrongly, IMO) after the Leeds draw.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Unsurprisingly the berk that is Andy Jacobs on TalkSport has just ranted that Brighton fans should be showing gratitude for Potter, and our treatment of him is disgraceful.

It was absolutely nailed on that that wrinkly old ball bag would call us out. Way past his sell by date.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

You live by that shit (TalkSport) you die by it unfortunately. Avoid, unless you enjoy hearing Sussex accents talking about their Liverpool or Man U, or ads for Trust A Trader every 21 seconds.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
This with bells on.

Did anyone really expect him to stay put or move on and not take his highly tuned backroom staff with him. Its what happens in the vast majority of managerial moves. Might not feel nice but not out of the ordinary. I can see why Bruno et al did as they did considering the huge team that RDZ brought with him.

I got chastised over the weekend for saying the atmosphere was toxic. I stand by that as the last time I experienced that was when we had owners who were trying to destroy our club. The two situations are vastly different as Brighton are now the victim of their own successes. If RDZ and team do a remarkable job he could be on his way to City in the next 4 years.
Toxic is wrong, we were utterly united. Chelsea deserved everything they got on Saturday and it was GLORIOUS.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yup.

Don't think it will change anytime soon, GP needs time. Remains to be seen if Todd Boehly knows how to run a football club successfully or if he's going to listen to the Chelsea-Tom Harks.

Mind you if they sack GP, I'd be sad for him for about five minutes before jumping with joy that he's no longer at that club.
I too would be jumping for joy - and jumping for joy even higher if GP were to announce his immediate retirement from the game at the inevitable soon-come point when the Chelsea gig is up, with his family and mental health intact. Genuinely. He's far too thin-skinned for this elite manager lark. Plus he's not very good at it. Would love to see him give two fingers to the whole insane moneyball thing, pronounce in John Lydon stylee "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" and go on to live out a long and contented life in provincial academia

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
They booed him in his very first game, I suspect that must have really hurt him considering he was utterly indignant after a smattering of Albion fans had the temerity to boo (wrongly, IMO) after the Leeds draw.
Yeah he was annoyed with the booing after the Leeds game and probably thought Brighton fans might be able to deal with someone not loving everything everyone does on the stands but quite clearly wasn't the case.

On the other hand he appeared not give a shit about the boos against Sheffield W in the FA Cup, because the boos were probably justified.

Overall as a coach he was made for the PL, as a man he wasn't. He spent a lot of years in Östersund, which is a community club. The fans and players have the same salaries. If things go shit, the fans sing louder. He pointed out in several interviews that he was happy to leave the English blame-culture. Adapting to the (still somewhat) new results-obsessed environment is probably difficult for him but if you want to coach in the best league, it is what it is.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bloody storm in a teacup this. Just take something, remove the context and it's wet the knickers time.

The context basically was (not verbatim, but in general) 'I have nothing to apologise for - I did a good job at Brighton and left the team in a good place - which they showed today'. Which is a pretty accurate and reasonable comment. Not such a headline though.

We beat Chelsea, and we got a good price for Cucurella. Now, something more important. Who are we playing next .........?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I too would be jumping for joy - and jumping for joy even higher if GP were to announce his immediate retirement from the game at the inevitable soon-come point when the Chelsea gig is up, with his family and mental health intact. Genuinely. He's far too thin-skinned for this elite manager lark. Plus he's not very good at it. Would love to see him give two fingers to the whole insane moneyball thing, pronounce in John Lydon stylee "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" and go on to live out a long and contented life in provincial academia
Well, I can agree he isn't really made for the harsh PL environment. Happy that you are though. Modern football is a beauty isn't it.

As for him not very good at it... heh. Pretty sure he is a better coach than you are at anything tbh, I think your main issue is that he's just a normal English guy who had success in life and career and it kind of bothers you. A certain bitterness, you know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports