Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did anyone actually ask Graham for an apology?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Potter has played a blinder here. All the media are now focusing on ‘apology’ and not just how bad CFC were. If little old Amex can do that then good luck at somewhere really hostile!
Check out Garth Crooks usual drivel, puts Trossard in his team of the week then 90% about Potter and the booing, now he’s an irrelevant dickhead but it just goes to show how this works.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well firstly I think you need to adjust your figures…I doubt the Chelsea fans did….well at the start anyway….not sure that the majority of the home fans did either.
Personally I think he would have been better off in laughing it off ..still losing 4/1 must have hurt so perhaps he was in a ‘weak moment’..though it’s helped deflect some of the criticism that could be levied at his poor management of his team on Saturday
I agree he would absolutely have been better off laughing it off but I know what Östersund players have said about him. He is just as sore when losing as most managers (and players) and had to put in quite some effort not to scream at people and throw things around etc. Professional sportsmen doesn't take losses in a good way but cope with it differently. GP is going to remain as calm as possible because that helps the players but won't be able to entirely control his emotions and bitter comments may slip out. Others blame the ref, some blame their own players, RDZ went with the "its not fair!!! boohoo". The only one I've seen laughing after defeats would be Chris Wilder in his last six months in Sheffield. Oddly, while I found it refreshing, neither their fans nor their players seemed to appreciate it.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Yes, but then it's same on social media and then escalates into real life, like it did on Saturday – although I have to admit it did make for a stunning atmosphere.

One of the Bobkin Jnrs commented that the targets of the boos didn't really care. I said a large chunk of the booers didn't care either, which is what makes the whole thing so pantomime :lolol:

This is very spot on for me. It's all just fun and games at the match. Like you say it's pantomime and not really worthy of protracted deep discussion.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This is very spot on for me. It's all just fun and games at the match. Like you say it's pantomime and not really worthy of protracted deep discussion.
Totally agree, normally you only boo and abuse players of the opposition because they are usually their sides best players. It's all a game. It helps when it really affects the player/team/manager. That's all we did on Saturday, it worked got right under Potters thin skin and he reacted. Probably didn't help himself for the next meeting either.

It's all a game all supporters play. It need to stay at the ground or discussed on places like here. It only gets serious when it goes outside and is directed on personal media or in "real" life.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yep. But we live in a world where every action, comment and opinion is pored over and – if we're being honest – interpreted to suit an agenda, without often knowing or appreciating the context.

It's all pretty sad, really.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Talk sport going on about it this morning and asking why brighton fans booed him. At least we're getting a bit of air time but Jesus it's football!! We're supposedly the villains now but who cares.
They think he's got it bad now? Just wait til the Chelsea fans start booing him. Which won't be very long in coming. Another tinkerman team selection and a loss to Arsenal next weekend should do the trick. That's The Process

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
The Sunday Times yesterday on Albion

"De Zerbi’s team were breathtaking at times, clinical in attack and comfortably in control, holding Chelsea at bay as Potter made moves from the sidelines without success.

“The beautiful beast he formed over the past three years turned on its creator and swallowed him whole, much to the delight of those who once cheered his name.”
That is a fabulous quote. Well done to that journo.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
They think he's got it bad now? Just wait til the Chelsea fans start booing him. Which won't be very long in coming. Another tinkerman team selection and a loss to Arsenal next weekend should do the trick. That's The Process
I think him and the team was already booed in one of the draws.

Like GP said, sometimes you deserve boos (even if a result is good) and sometimes you don't (despite results not always being great).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Like GP said, sometimes you deserve boos (even if a result is good) and sometimes you don't (despite results not always being great).
I think the Chelsea fans are starting to smell blood now. It's building up quite a head of steam They're already bitching and whining about the style and content of GP's 9 game unbeaten run and increasingly mourning the demise of little Tommy Tootle who presided over some kind of Golden Age apparently

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I agree he would absolutely have been better off laughing it off but I know what Östersund players have said about him. He is just as sore when losing as most managers (and players) and had to put in quite some effort not to scream at people and throw things around etc. Professional sportsmen doesn't take losses in a good way but cope with it differently. GP is going to remain as calm as possible because that helps the players but won't be able to entirely control his emotions and bitter comments may slip out. Others blame the ref, some blame their own players, RDZ went with the "its not fair!!! boohoo". The only one I've seen laughing after defeats would be Chris Wilder in his last six months in Sheffield. Oddly, while I found it refreshing, neither their fans nor their players seemed to appreciate it.
Just to amend my original post …as regards to poor management of the team ..he has graciously admitted it (not said in a sarcastic way) so I’m not taking a swipe at him ..more than happy that he was lacking as his players were on Saturday

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think the Chelsea fans are starting to smell blood now. It's building up quite a head of steam They're already bitching and whining about the style and content of GP's 9 game unbeaten run and increasingly mourning the demise of little Tommy Tootle who presided over some kind of Golden Age apparently
Yup.

Don't think it will change anytime soon, GP needs time. Remains to be seen if Todd Boehly knows how to run a football club successfully or if he's going to listen to the Chelsea-Tom Harks.

Mind you if they sack GP, I'd be sad for him for about five minutes before jumping with joy that he's no longer at that club.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Totally agree, normally you only boo and abuse players of the opposition because they are usually their sides best players. It's all a game. It helps when it really affects the player/team/manager. That's all we did on Saturday, it worked got right under Potters thin skin and he reacted. Probably didn't help himself for the next meeting either.

It's all a game all supporters play. It need to stay at the ground or discussed on places like here. It only gets serious when it goes outside and is directed on personal media or in "real" life.

Exactly, it should be expected at the ground and will be discussed on forums / social media. Our job as fans is to make the return environment uncomfortable and we clearly played our part.

Outside of football, vandalising restaurants is way way too far, beyond the pantomime

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Blimey. Lots of people claiming they'd moved on and then raking through the ashes of every interview for something more to hang Potter with. It's like going through all of your ex's FB posts, bit immature really.
TBH - I always engage with almost every discussion after a big win - It's more about the overall Brighton mojo than anything else.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Because he is a logical person. If 25 000-30 000 people boo you, it is almost as if they think you've done something wrong, and when you've done something wrong you're supposed to apologise.
You think we were wanting an apology from Gallagher when we booed him? It just says "I really don't like you"

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

And sometimes you hear boos and think you know what it means, but you don't.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This with bells on.

Did anyone really expect him to stay put or move on and not take his highly tuned backroom staff with him. Its what happens in the vast majority of managerial moves. Might not feel nice but not out of the ordinary. I can see why Bruno et al did as they did considering the huge team that RDZ brought with him.

I got chastised over the weekend for saying the atmosphere was toxic. I stand by that as the last time I experienced that was when we had owners who were trying to destroy our club. The two situations are vastly different as Brighton are now the victim of their own successes. If RDZ and team do a remarkable job he could be on his way to City in the next 4 years.
Agree with all of that, apart from it being toxic. It was more pantomime to me. As I posted earlier. Some(most?) of the booers probably weren't actually too fussed about Potter leaving, etc, etc, but they just got caught up in the moment. We'll never know how much the atmosphere contributed to the result (or the performance of MC – although he's a sensitive guy, so it must've caught him a little off guard), but I don't think it did any harm.

And yes, you're probably right about RDZ if he does as good a job as Potter did – I said that when he was appointed. It won't stop people on here frothing at the gash when he does go, though...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here