Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dicking About In Our Own Goal Area

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
I assume the purpose is precisely to lure the opposition on to us, and then pass round them.
Beating the press, I believe I heard someone say.

Seems a decent way of creating some space.

But yes it's going to go disastrously wrong at some point.

In the same breath at some point we’ll score a goal from said position in about 3 passes then others will see the value of doing it

It's nerve-wracking, but players keeping composure when under pressure is bloody impressive. Must be pretty draining on the opposition.

Looked pretty draining to us yesterday as the players all stood there staring at each other after the goal

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Whilst I'm sure this isn't the case I started to think yesterday that some were only interested in OPTA statistics, or whatever it is now, i.e. completed passes. Some were ridiculous and one back to Ryan when he was marooned on his own post FFS!

Clearly there is a case for playing out from the back BUT sometimes you just need to stick your laces through the ball and hoof it into a much safer area, and yesterday that didn't happen when it should of.

We need to be more ambitious when trying to progress forwards, we need to run with the ball and look dangerous. I agree if we over commit then we're in trouble and we don't want to return to last season's option of tippy-tappy and no progress at all!

I like Potterball, but think it relies too much on retention at times.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Isn't one of the first things they teach you at Defender Junior School not to pass the ball across your own 6 yard box? Always used to be. Especially on a wet surface.

Ahh, but times are a changing

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The only times we've been really caught out have been where someone (Davy) has passed it blind.

Coach this out and it will be a highly effective tactic.

We over-analyse this passing at the back thing, let's not forget with Murray out of the team and quick guys up front, we can play long direct football much more successfully these days and happily Potter isn't the one dimensional coach of Potterball mythology, Connolly beat Spurs with a long pass from the back and that's how we got our first goal yesterday too. Three cheers for tactical flexibility

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
So why didn't it work when we were fannying around at the back under Hughton? Or was that a different sort of fannying around?

Principally due to the changes in the goal kick rule. I think this one has been a positive, but personally I hate the corner thing. Have the ball inside the marked out area. If this needs to be made bigger, just change the dimensions, this whole is it touching the outside of the line business, makes VAR seem positively sane.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Isn't one of the first things they teach you at Defender Junior School not to pass the ball across your own 6 yard box? Always used to be. Especially on a wet surface.

Everyone gets taught the rules. It takes good players to know when to break them.

I had a few heart attacks last night, but I think that’s how it’s going to be from now on.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Looked pretty draining to us yesterday as the players all stood there staring at each other after the goal

That mistake was simply a direct result of passing without looking. Nothing to do with Potter's tactics.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I think beating the press is fine but it needs judgment, as in all things on the football pitch. Webster put Propper in the shit because it was a pass Propper wasn't expecting and he had his back to most of the Wolves players so couldn't adequately gauge where their players were, and then Propper compounded a danger situation x 100. It was just bad football and playing a progressive style of passing from the back will never excuse poor decision-making.

This.
Its okay when the player eg Propper makes the movement into space cos he knows whats around him, but against Leicester and yesterday, he had passes played to him by Webster when he had his back to the opposition and was pressurised.
I dont mind the playing out like this, as long as its mixed up a bit. Opposition know we are going to do this every goal kick then they set up to counter it and catch us out if there is the slightest panic pass.sometimes a longer ball beyond their pressers would make the opposition vary their game plan.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It's absolutely about creating space in front as the opposition are lured further forward and then passing past them. Yes we will concede perhaps 2 or 3 times a season from it (we have already when Webster lost control away to e's, can't remember, Man U?) but it will also increase possession and chances at the other end. And perhaps it is also better than a golie punt upfield where 30% of the time we'll lose possession.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Its was at Chelsea which resulted in their penalty, the only time this season "dicking about in our own area" has resulted in a goal. I don't count yesterday as that was a poor pass in midfield

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Everyone gets taught the rules. It takes good players to know when to break them.

Got very little to do with the players tho eh? They've patently been told to play that pass-it-across-the-6-yard-box way, else it would have been nipped in the bud earlydoors as a particularly crap thing to do. Which IMHO it is, irrespective of some projecting it onto our new manager as some form of tactical genius. It clearly isn't, else everybody would be doing it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
When you hoof it and their defenders wins the ball and they score a goal 30 seconds later you dont call it risky, you dont notice it went wrong. Yeah, passing it short is going to look stupid when it fails, but this is really no more risky than giving the ball away by hoofing it.

I'm sorry to say a lot of you will have a rough few years coming, because this way of playing is here to stay.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Can’t have it always the winner against Everton came from passing out from the back, sometimes in this transition season it will go wrong on occasion.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
When you hoof it and their defenders wins the ball and they score a goal 30 seconds later you dont call it risky, you dont notice it went wrong. Yeah, passing it short is going to look stupid when it fails, but this is really no more risky than giving the ball away by hoofing it.

I'm sorry to say a lot of you will have a rough few years coming, because this way of playing is here to stay.

Yep. In games this season, we've had periods of possession that last 2 to 3 minutes, all due to our ball retention, breaking presses and making space ahead of the ball. Last season that 3 minutes would have been full of hopeful passes forward once we ran out of ideas, and defending in numbers once we lost the ball.

I believe in the current approach as it has (IMHO) far more positives than negatives, and when it works, it's majestic.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think that English football as a whole turns quicker on the likes of Potterball than the likes of Hughton's style. For decades, "Get rid" has been the byword for solid defending. Retaining possession is secondary to security, but almost always just invites more pressure however, if a manager tries to instill better football in the side and it doesn't work, what then? Back to "get rid" and "go long". It's the DNA of the English game.

Personally, I love the way we play now, but can see why it's frustrating to others. It's also noticeable to me that the crowd turns SO much quicker now than ever before, although whether that's as a result of Potterball or fatigue from the end of last season I don't know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here