Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight's book signing Worthing.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why could he have not discussed the share proposal with the club? After all, his holding is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things and couldn't be added to any other holding to form a significant alliance in the boardroom. Obviously the club would have been wary about the book what with events over the last 6 months but then again, DK would have known that.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I hope you're wrong about the relationship being beyond repair - all supporters would dearly love to see a club undivided from top to bottom. None of us wants the boardroom equivalent of a fight on the home terraces and the fact remains, whatever has happened, wherever the faults lie, that Dick Knight is an important part of the Albion brand. If an accommodation can be reached between the parties the club will be all the stronger for it.

Without knowing everything that's going on at the Albion, I believe there are people there who share your views completely. I also think the club has done well to show restraint and not come up with any knee-jerk reaction to either the book or the share business. I wouldn't be too surprised if the club shop is stocking it well before Christmas.

One thing that certainly didn't help was Friday's Argus coverage, which was obviously not part of the official serialisation of the book. That's clear because the Wednesday and Thursday extracts credited the book, whereas the Friday stuff - which quoted chunks but didn't have the long extracts that are usual with official serialisations, or the book credit - looks like the Argus trying to stir things up.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It is good to see his book signings being well attended. I (unintentionally) attended both in Brighton yesterday and there was a decent queue at each.

I think a number of people can accept the argument that the club wouldn't stock his book or host a signing while they didn't know what it contained, but it's been out a few days now so someone should have been through it by now. If it's not on sale by the time of the next home match I would suggest those running the club are petty, disrespectful, arrogant and lacking in perspective.

I imagine the book stocking issue is complicated by the share issue - IF the club are not happy with it, it does make it difficult to sell a book containing a form to express an interest in a share purchase. Could it legally make things tricky? - being seen to promote the share sale, yet taking action to prevent it ( if that were their intention ).

D

Deleted member 2719

I have been meaning to go to Dicks book signings, but every time he has one i am worried they may be a stampede from his groupies.

I think i will play it safe and go and watch One Direction.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Just back from Dick Knight’s book signing in Worthing. Around fifty of us in the Fraser Bar of the Connaught with Dick & Paul Samrah at the head table and Des Lynam in the audience. Lasted for about an hour with Paul suggesting topics for Dick to chat about, ranging from when Liam Brady asked him to form the consortium which finally did for the dastardly Archer & Bellotti. Some interesting stories about, Dean Hammond, Robbie Savage, loan players and the January transfer window (which he doesn’t agree with). Ended with a question and answer session, in which time he explained how he’s resigned from AITC because of financial cut backs and also about the club not selling the book because they wanted to read it first, which I would have thought was a reasonable request considering the issues regarding Poyet’s dismissal. I’ve always liked Dick Knight especially as he was instrumental in saving the Albion, but I also have loyalties to Tony Bloom without whom there probably wouldn’t be an Amex Stadium. Shame they seem to have fallen out over opposing views of how to run a modern day football club.

Did he mention the one about him sleeping with Bill Shankly?

Ignoring the "shares" issue (and that's a trivial issue), there's nothing in the book that should upset the Club. No-one at the Club is portrayed as a bad guy - DK's comments about MP and TB when TB took over the chairmanship no doubt reflect his feelings at the time, but don't amount to a big issue. The only current figure in Albion affairs who might possibly be disappointed with how he is portrayed in the book is Andy Naylor. But that goes with the territory of being a local journalist and is no reason to bear a big grudge. Sure, DK has a different view from TB about the future priorities for AITC, but as long as AITC continues to flourish, that shouldn't be a big issue either.

Like Lincoln Imp, I can see no bridges burnt.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I hope you're wrong about the relationship being beyond repair - all supporters would dearly love to see a club undivided from top to bottom. None of us wants the boardroom equivalent of a fight on the home terraces and the fact remains, whatever has happened, wherever the faults lie, that Dick Knight is an important part of the Albion brand. If an accommodation can be reached between the parties the club will be all the stronger for it.

The club is not divided by DK's book, nor will the book make the club weaker or stronger. There is no fight in the Boardroom because DK is not on the Board.

Where is the 'fight'? Can't see one myself.

Jul 5, 2003
Just back from Dick Knight’s book signing in Worthing. Around fifty of us in the Fraser Bar of the Connaught with Dick & Paul Samrah at the head table and Des Lynam in the audience. Lasted for about an hour with Paul suggesting topics for Dick to chat about, ranging from when Liam Brady asked him to form the consortium which finally did for the dastardly Archer & Bellotti. Some interesting stories about, Dean Hammond, Robbie Savage, loan players and the January transfer window (which he doesn’t agree with). Ended with a question and answer session, in which time he explained how he’s resigned from AITC because of financial cut backs and also about the club not selling the book because they wanted to read it first, which I would have thought was a reasonable request considering the issues regarding Poyet’s dismissal. I’ve always liked Dick Knight especially as he was instrumental in saving the Albion, but I also have loyalties to Tony Bloom without whom there probably wouldn’t be an Amex Stadium. Shame they seem to have fallen out over opposing views of how to run a modern day football club.
Your observations are the same as mine, it's like you must have been sitting next to me!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here