Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight stadium tribute

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Definitely...

The Dick Knight Stand

The Peter Ward Stand

The Robert Eaton Stand (His name to represent all who dreamed they would see Falmer but never will)

The North Stand

I wouldn't object to a Bloom stand but I have a problem with a stand being named after someone who is still in charge of the club...a la Madjeski...a big ego trip.

The stadium itself should never be named after one person.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The first person a stand should be named after, is the man thats putting up the hard cash to make it a reality and not just a plan. The Tony Bloom Stand, although i do agree DK should have something named after him, he did along with others, save our club, even if he did hang on to long(cant really blame him for that, must have been hard to let go, even if you know it is the only way forward.)

It's not specifically directed to you, but to all the people saying Knight held on too long and praising Bloom. I may be being stupid and missed something obvious but where's Bloom been for the last ten years or so? When we were at the Priestfield, or in the last couple of years of losing monet at Withdean and not being able to afford players?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
What a LOAD of absolute SHITE and if any part of the ground is NAMED after that potless TWAT (Apart from trap 1 in the gents where the bullshit belongs) I will REFUSE to go to the ground.
The only chairmans statue that should be there is Tony Blooms as it is his CASH that is PAYING for it , mind you the SCULPTOR had better be CAREFUL as we don't want it LOOKING like Pinocchio STOOD there.

:angry::angry::angry:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Does it matter that Knight couldn't afford Falmer? I think we all knew he didn't have the money. Isn't it enough that he got us through the 11 year battle to get planning permission?

Not a criticism Arthur, I'm just interested in your thinking.

Seeing as you've been an adult about it and not resorted to name calling like the other twerps......

No it doesn't matter that Knight couldn't afford to pay for Falmer and granted everyone knew he personally didn't have the money. However both he and Perry (well mainly Perry, but then that was his domain) continually assured us that securing funds wouldn't be a problem and the biggest hurdle was getting planning permission. In reality the planning should have been the easy bit but he (Perry) made a pigs ear of that as well.

So yes he got us through it and as I've said he does deserve some recognition for that however had a decent planning team been involved and someone with some proper financial clout been involved we would have been playing in a new ground by now. Knight has to take some of the responsibility for that.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Why do so many people think that the only player worthy of a stand is Peter Ward? If you were going to have just one player, I would have thought that Charlie Webb was standout one.

I haven't got Tim Carder's book to hand but I know that he did more than 10 years as a player, nearly 30 years as a manager and some time in administration as secretary or general manager too. He also scored the only goal when Brighton v Villa to win the Charity Shield. I think 50 years of service beats Wardy's four - no matter how good Wardy was.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Id sell the naming of the stands as well as the ground name to be honest to the highest bidder.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
It's not specifically directed to you, but to all the people saying Knight held on too long and praising Bloom. I may be being stupid and missed something obvious but where's Bloom been for the last ten years or so? When we were at the Priestfield, or in the last couple of years of losing monet at Withdean and not being able to afford players?

I think you,ll find that Tony Bloom has been bank-rolling this club for at least the last 2 years, prior to taking over as Chairman.

And the Blooms have been on the board of BHA for some years prior to that.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
So yes he got us through it and as I've said he does deserve some recognition for that however had a decent planning team been involved and someone with some proper financial clout been involved we would have been playing in a new ground by now. Knight has to take some of the responsibility for that.

Did Bloom (or any others with financial clout) try and get involved?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Seeing as you've been an adult about it and not resorted to name calling like the other twerps......

No it doesn't matter that Knight couldn't afford to pay for Falmer and granted everyone knew he personally didn't have the money. However both he and Perry (well mainly Perry, but then that was his domain) continually assured us that securing funds wouldn't be a problem and the biggest hurdle was getting planning permission. In reality the planning should have been the easy bit but he (Perry) made a pigs ear of that as well.

What would you suggest they should have said during the course of the planning application then ? Come out and say "we're applying to build this here stadium, but how the FRIG we are actually going to pay for the thing I have not got a scooby. Worry about that later shall we ?" I mean what else could they say ?
And its worth remembering, B&HCC would never have supported the application nor given over the land if they thought the finance would never be in place to see it through.
{edit} and quite how your arrive at a conclusion that gaining planning permission for a 22,500 stadium in a designated AONB is supposed to be the "easy bit" I have no idea.

What did the planning team get wrong ? How could they have got permission for the stadium quicker ? How would more financial clout have been helpful during the public enquiries ?
Not having a go, just a little bemused at your statements.

Last edited:

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
I think you,ll find that Tony Bloom has been bank-rolling this club for at least the last 2 years, prior to taking over as Chairman.

What about before that?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
What did the planning team get wrong ? How could they have got permission for the stadium quicker ? How would more financial clout have been helpful during the public enquiries ?
Not having a go, just a little bemused at your statements.

I have given up being bemused as this has been running for years and I have NEVER seen one practical, realistic, specific suggestion.

I think the community spaces should bear his name as that will be a great legacy for more than just the supporters.

Sloth loves Chunk

Nov 14, 2003
Getting a bit bored of Peter Ward overkill. He was a great player, admittedly, but 'too much of a good thing' springs to mind.

The naming of stands is very contentious and it'll be hard to get universal approval.

North Stand - obvious reasons
Dick Knight Stand
The Goldstone Stand - in memory of everyone who never got to see the new stadium
The Bloom Stand - again, for obvious reasons.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The stadium will undoubtedly be commercially named so no chance that's going to be named after a former employee...

The Kentucky Fried Chicken Community Stadium?

I think you'll find that the Bloom family have been involved with the Albion for about 50 odd years, and to put up as much wonga as he is for Falmer is unbelieavable, or would you rather have the pile of crap in control like Pompey have.
:wrong:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
There are a number of things that need to be commemorated when the stadium is complete. Dick Knight's achievement in getting the place built at all (still less getting us back to Brighton and keeping us alive as a club) is up there and it would surely be appropriate to have a stand named after him and perhaps it ought to be the one with hospitality rooms :)

The idea of a Robert Eaton Memorial stand is an excellant one and would mean a great deal to very many people as a symbol of all who have missed the chance to be there for our new home.

I believe there should also be links to our spiritual home and the local authority always consider issues such as these when naming new roads so why not the approach road as Goldstone Way and of course we have to have a North Stand.

The final side of the ground? What better than to keep it in the family and name it after Tony's old man? He would have liked that and the family deserve it.

Job done :thumbsup:

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
What a LOAD of absolute SHITE and if any part of the ground is NAMED after that potless TWAT (Apart from trap 1 in the gents where the bullshit belongs) I will REFUSE to go to the ground.
:

They probably won't let you out to attend matches anyway

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here