Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Dick Emery documentary on Channel 5

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
They said "Contains historical adult humour and derogatory language some viewers may find offensive."

That's not an apology, it's basic guidance from corporate compliance. Again, I didn't watch it, but guess that there was something in there which fit the above bill?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Like a lot of programmes of the era, not being repeated widely has little to do with "political correctness" although it probably wouldn't be now.

There were years in between broadcast and now when it could have been.

The programme simply wasn't that funny and the comedy didn't age well.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Dick Emery was car-crash 'comedy' back when he was considered prime-time in a country with only two, or maybe three, TV channels. File alongside Lenny Henry, Kenny Everett and Stanley Baxter. Deeply unfunny funnymen. Where's me washboard?

stanley baxter?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Anyone old enough to remember the "Angus Prune Tune" and "....what is that terrifying hideous beast emerging from the slime filled swamp (difference variation each week) ...its.....". Remember listening on a "trannie" (oooer missus) at the back of the mobile classrooms during lunch break.

Not ........ Lady Constance!

My name is Angus Prune
And this is my tune
And it’s I’m Sorry I’ll read that again!

I remember listening under the bedclothes to the repeat of the Sunday afternoon programme on Monday nights.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Dick Emery was car-crash 'comedy' back when he was considered prime-time in a country with only two, or maybe three, TV channels. File alongside Lenny Henry, Kenny Everett and Stanley Baxter. Deeply unfunny funnymen. Where's me washboard?

Stanley Baxter unfunny????? One man’s unfunny is another man’s comedy genius.

Different people like different things.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Stanley Baxter unfunny????? One man’s unfunny is another man’s comedy genius.

Different people like different things.

I did think that but didn’t want to get into another NSC spat with THPP 😂

A testament to Baxter’s genius was the fact that throughout most of the 1970’s his entire TV output was his Annual Stanley Baxter Picture Show but something ITV saw as part of their programming Crown Jewels.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Was thinking of watching this but have had a change of mind as some of the humour might not be appropriate now and would show in my browsing history

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here