Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Diazepam for Flying

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Mrs Wz used to be the same many years ago. We tried Hypnosis, one of those day long things that ended with an airline flight, flying lessons (which she loved, but didn't help on an airliner.) It was called Valium back then, but fortunately she seems to manage without these days.

If it is Diazepam specifically that he won't prescribe, is there another similar sedative that he would prescribe instead ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Long story short - Mrs W has a very deep seated fear of flying. She spent 10 years not flying but two years ago her doctor prescribed Diazepam and it's worked wonders. Unfortunately she was forced to move from her old surgery ( in Shoreham ) to Benfield Health Hub in Hangleton. She's just tried to get some Diazepam for some flights we have booked later this year and the arse of a doctor said "he doesn't prescribe it as he thinks it's irresponsible". Bang go those trips !!!

I have a complaint in with the Practice Manager but some questions :

1. Does anyone on here use Diazepam to fly ?

2. Does anyone on here get it prescribed by their doctor for flying and have a doctor in the BN3 area - if so which practice ?

3. Anyone know a doctor that will prescribe it privately ?

*** Please ensure this is a Covid-19 free thread ! ***

I used Propranolol. But that is for general nervous and anxiety issues. It's not a strong drug but I'm not sure strong drugs are the answer. In my experience (about 12 years of a nervous disposition) it would be better to use a mild one and concentrate on natural techniques. Drugs need to be a help rather than a cure.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Dentists prescribe it for people who are terrified of treatment. I also know of a young woman who has to have a tablet to have a blood test because she is strongly needle phobic. Irrational fears are, well, irrational.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Google ‘CBD Oil for Flying’ and see what you think. A trip down to Holland & Barrett would get you that. It also might have a placebo affect thar could help your wife, above and beyond its apparent anti-anxiety benefits (obvs don’t mention that last bit to her though) :)

Cannabis oil? LSD is pretty good for flying as well....someone who isn’t me told me.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Dentists prescribe it for people who are terrified of treatment. I also know of a young woman who has to have a tablet to have a blood test because she is strongly needle phobic. Irrational fears are, well, irrational.

Indeed they do. I was once regaling my dentist with a tale of woe concerning lack of sleep on a couple of long-haul flights and he said "Well, I can prescribe Diazepam for those patients who are scared of dentists. You're very scared of dentists, aren't you?" and here he literally winked. I said "Yes, terrified". Bob's your mother's brother.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Rather than taking pills , it might be more beneficial to attend a fear of flying course where you go up in a plane and they show you how everything works . I used to come out in a cold sweat just getting in a plane but I did this course about 10 years ago and haven’t looked back .

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Was always given Diazepam by the RAF to aid sleeping on daytime layovers and to ensure you got plenty of sleep before flying, personally I would never touch the stuff was always worried about them being addictive. Probably got some somewhere but would have been issued before 2008 and would be stuffed in a box in the attic....

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Rather than taking pills , it might be more beneficial to attend a fear of flying course where you go up in a plane and they show you how everything works . I used to come out in a cold sweat just getting in a plane but I did this course about 10 years ago and haven’t looked back .

I’m a qualified aircraft engineer, I hate flying now.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
That's the annoying thing - her previous doctor DID prescribe it on the NHS. Apparently it comes down to the doctors opinion - no proper rules and regs around it. Her new ( soon to be old ) doctor just doesn't agree with it.

Flew to NZ in 2018 none of us have had any issues with flying thankfully and 7+ hours Manchester to Doha is bad enough but near 18 hours from Doha to Auckland well my Dr issued me with 8 Diazapam but a very low dose and was awake most of the time. Where as Mrs LBG who works nights at a local care home was issued with 24 sleeping tablets no problem,as you say seems to be a matter of opinion.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
My wife has always hated flying and the Virginia Fear of Flying did not help and ultimately she didn't get on the short flight at the end.

However, we have had mixed success with Diazepam and the key seems to be the dosage. We went to New York back in 2007 and it worked a charm. She was nicely chilled like she'd had a few cheeky drinks but not too obvious as to render her obviously drunk that would not be good in an emergency or would alert cabin staff on boarding. Sadly, a couple of years later we took a much shorter flight out to Crete to pick up our cruise ship and the diazepam did nothing and she was not good at all and all very stressful. The dose on each occasion was prescribed by same doctor so not sure what the disparity was.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Have I missed something, but isn't diazepam addict and regularly abused?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Was always given Diazepam by the RAF to aid sleeping on daytime layovers and to ensure you got plenty of sleep before flying, personally I would never touch the stuff was always worried about them being addictive. Probably got some somewhere but would have been issued before 2008 and would be stuffed in a box in the attic....

I'm sure it is addictive, but if you just use it a couple of times a year for your holiday flights I doubt whether there's much danger of becoming addicted.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I’m a qualified aircraft engineer, I hate flying now.

Seriously?? Why?

As an Aircraft Engineer for 35+ years I have never felt that, and I have been on flights with 2 fires, one above a galley and one under the flight deck flooring ( Kapton wiring) Luckily both aircraft were empty on freighter flights., also had 2 engine shutdowns separate times), then a flapless landing into Vegas with 2/3 engines ( Tristar), never once did I have any fear of flying, always knowing that aircraft are 100% safe,

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Hang on in there. Once the Brexit negotiations are “complete”, the US pharma industry will control the NHS and GP’s will be handing them out like smarties. At a price of course.
I wish I was joking.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Have I missed something, but isn't diazepam addict and regularly abused?

The doctors will only give you 6 x 2mg tablets which is basically 3 tablets for each way. maybe once or twice a year. Diazepam is addictive if taken every day even after a few weeks, but on a very short term basis to cope with a particular situation, they are useful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here