Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] "Dianne Abbott at the darts" / Antoine Griezzman fancy dress

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
There's a world of difference between robust feedback and criticism (essential for a healthy democracy), and "vile abuse" (e.g. racism, sexism, death threats, rape threats, threats of violence etc.).

The kind of toxic environment that is all too often a feature of some contemporary political discourse and which was a contributory factor in the murder of Jo Cox.

So, yeah, agree that all MPs should be held accountable for their words and actions but NOT subjected to "vile abuse".

I don’t disagree, but then someone blacking up to look like Diane Abbott is not a death threat either, or a threat of rape.

The toxity you refer to has been bought upon politicians by politicians, and those like Abbott are front and centre in their own contempt for the political ideology they say they represent.

She said herself that sending her child to a fee paying school was insensible, the public has a right to stick those words down her throat so hard she (or anyone like her) won’t take the piss out of the electorate again.

Ignoring it is pathetic.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Gandhi is one of my favorite films and i cant imagine anyone except a blackfaced Ben Kingsley pulling off such a wonderful performance.
190 is comedy genius too.

Has anyone given any thought that being a Trans-racial person is a real thing nowadays. You can choose your gender and race if thats what you want in this modern world. You can identify as anything.

If its good enough for white girl Rachel Rachel Dolezal to black up and pretend to be black,and be accepted, then who are we to argue.

150612092018-rachel-dolezal-split-large-169.jpg

Those that are offended by blackface need to be more tolerant of individuality in this modern world.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Gandhi is one of my favorite films and i cant imagine anyone except a blackfaced Ben Kingsley pulling off such a wonderful performance.
190 is comedy genius too.

Has anyone given any thought that being a Trans-racial person is a real thing nowadays. You can choose your gender and race if thats what you want in this modern world. You can identify as anything.

If its good enough for white girl Rachel Rachel Dolezal to black up and pretend to be black,and be accepted, then who are we to argue.

View attachment 92160

Those that are offended by blackface need to be more tolerant of individuality in this modern world.

And sadly, sales of bleaching cream worldwide are alarmingly high.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Whatever you think of Diane Abbott as a politician (and I can't abide the woman), given the background and historical context of 'blackface' and what it meant, I find it amazing that people think its still perfectly ok to black up in this day and age, like its all just a bit of a laugh.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
And sadly, sales of bleaching cream worldwide are alarmingly high.

You say sadly, but these cosmetics to whiteface people in places like India are widely used and advertised.
If Indians want to identify as white people whats wrong with that?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You say sadly, but these cosmetics to whiteface people in places like India are widely used and advertised.

Well, if your great great grandfather was white, middle aged and male at any point in his life then YOU owe the Tugees a hell of a lot of compensation, according to a pressure group somewhere........

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

What's right with it!?

I don't know where to begin if you don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's on a whole different level to someone blacking up at the darts that's for sure.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
That's your opinion, not a fact. In this example, blacking up served only to be explicit about who the joke was about. I'm sure he would argue that his intention was no different from yours or mine if we put on a ginger wig to impersonate, say, Chris Evans.

This of course is the crux of the issue, and really what I'd like to know more about. I'd really like to know whether that baggage really resonates anymore, and I suppose middle class white lads aren't the ones to make that call.
I doubt many working class black blokes knew anything whatsoever about the ‘baggage’ that blacking up supposedly carries until middle class white blokes from Bexhill started telling them about it and how they should be offended.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I doubt many working class black blokes knew anything whatsoever about the ‘baggage’ that blacking up supposedly carries until middle class white blokes from Bexhill started telling them about it and how they should be offended.
You can't make that call - that's no better than being the white bloke from Bexhill. Apart from anything else, @Buzzer has already told you of one such person. That's why I'm out of the debate - it's almost pointless discussing it with anyone who isn't a black Brit. I won't be told it's offensive by Wozza but equally I'm open to the fact that it might be.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Was listening to a programme about gollywogs or gollydolls. Not one black person was especially offended or against them but white people seemed quite against them. In fact one black guy was exasperated at the outrage. Not offering an opinion on that just relaying the content.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
That's why I'm out of the debate - it's almost pointless discussing it with anyone who isn't a black Brit. I won't be told it's offensive by Wozza but equally I'm open to the fact that it might be.

"Black Brit" - wtf? The fact that you think this is a British, rather than international, issue suggests that you still have quite a bit of research to do.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"Black Brit" - wtf? The fact that you think this is a British, rather than international, issue suggests that you still have quite a bit of research to do.
I'm sorry, but that's condescending nonsense. It suggests nothing of the sort.

I'm talking about 21st century BRITAIN - I don't really care what black people elsewhere think about it. Black people in the US, for example, face (and have faced) very different types of discrimination from those here.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You can't make that call - that's no better than being the white bloke from Bexhill. Apart from anything else, @Buzzer has already told you of one such person. That's why I'm out of the debate - it's almost pointless discussing it with anyone who isn't a black Brit. I won't be told it's offensive by Wozza but equally I'm open to the fact that it might be.

I think I can , I grew up with a lot of working class black blokes , it’s the wozzas of this world who cause this crap , I don’t doubt there was something offensive about blacking up , but that’s in the past, and it’s the professional middle class white patronisers that have brought it back to the fore.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

You need to get some perspective. The bloke at the darts was guilty of showing bad taste. It is clearly not an ‘international issue.’ There are actual bad people doing bad things in the world. Your middle class angst is getting in the way of common sense.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think I can , I grew up with a lot of working class black blokes , it’s the wozzas of this world who cause this crap , I don’t doubt there was something offensive about blacking up , but that’s in the past, and it’s the professional middle class white patronisers that have brought it back to the fore.

Oh give over FFS. You forget, I see your Facebook feed. It's not like black people are prominent. It's not like they are on mine either, mind (or Wozzas) but then I'm not pretending to speak for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here