Votes: 40 63.5%
  • None...Quincy ruled OK

Votes: 7 11.1%

• Total voters

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Which was YOUR favourite?

Diagnosis Murder for me...mainly for the interesting undertones of Van Dyke's relationship with his on screen son.

I think they hated each other in real life but that Van Dyke basically invented the role of his on-screen son to substitute for his lack of closeness in real-life.

Being a failed actor his son had no choice but to accept the job - which just made him resent his Dad all the more.

Or maybe I have just thought about it too much...

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The one I never got was Murder She Wrote. Seems obvious to me, if that ****ing woman shows up at your gaff, get out fast. Someone's bound to cop it, and you don't want it to be you.

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
The thing we Columbo was you knew who the killer was right away and the fact that Columbo spent the whole programme with him, you would no who it was half way through.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Spielberg directed an episode in 1971 a little know fact.

Columbo: Murder by the Book (1971) (TV)
Directed by
Steven Spielberg

Genre: Crime / Drama / Mystery (more)

Plot Summary: Ken Franklin is a rich socialite living in a luxurious coastal mansion bought from his years of writing crime and mystery books... (more) (view trailer)

User Comments: Early Spielberg (more)

User Rating: 7.1/10 (418 votes)

Credited cast:
Peter Falk .... Lieutenant Columbo
Jack Cassidy .... Ken Franklin
Martin Milner .... Jim Ferris
Rosemary Forsyth .... Joanna Ferris
Barbara Colby .... Lily LaSanka
Lynette Mettey .... Gloria Jr.
Bernie Kuby .... Mike Tucker
Hoke Howell .... Sergeant
Marcia Wallace .... Woman
Haven Earl Haley .... Second reporter
(more)

Runtime: 73 min
Language: English
Colour: Color (Technicolor)
Sound Mix: Mono

Awards: Nominated for Emmy. Another 1 nomination (more)

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
robbied69 said:
The thing we Columbo was you knew who the killer was right away and the fact that Columbo spent the whole programme with him, you would no who it was half way through.

Fair point. They might as well have just asked Columbo who he thought did it, and then arrested them. Saves everyone faffing around for a whole episode.

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone

Diagnosis Murder for me...mainly for the interesting undertones of Van Dyke's relationship with his on screen son.

I think they hated each other in real life but that Van Dyke basically invented the role of his on-screen son to substitute for his lack of closeness in real-life.

Being a failed actor his son had no choice but to accept the job - which just made him resent his Dad all the more.

Just watching some Columbo on 5USA, I got to thinking if this question or similar had ever been posted. I know plenty of Vera / Morse lovers but I have to say I'm a bit of a Columbo nut.

Columbo isn't a "whodunnit", it's a "howcatchem". The joke being, your nan pipes up an hour in with "I think it's the gardener!".

Spielberg directed an episode in 1971 a little know fact.

Columbo: Murder by the Book (1971) (TV)
Directed by
Steven Spielberg

Genre: Crime / Drama / Mystery (more)

Plot Summary: Ken Franklin is a rich socialite living in a luxurious coastal mansion bought from his years of writing crime and mystery books... (more) (view trailer)

User Comments: Early Spielberg (more)

User Rating: 7.1/10 (418 votes)

Credited cast:
Peter Falk .... Lieutenant Columbo
Jack Cassidy .... Ken Franklin
Martin Milner .... Jim Ferris
Rosemary Forsyth .... Joanna Ferris
Barbara Colby .... Lily LaSanka
Lynette Mettey .... Gloria Jr.
Bernie Kuby .... Mike Tucker
Hoke Howell .... Sergeant
Marcia Wallace .... Woman
Haven Earl Haley .... Second reporter
(more)

Runtime: 73 min
Language: English
Colour: Color (Technicolor)
Sound Mix: Mono

Awards: Nominated for Emmy. Another 1 nomination

It's not just Spielberg, Spielberg! The list of stars across the whole project is collosal! Leslie Nielsen, Vincent Price and Martin Sheen just in the last episode or two. Quality 🙂

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Just watching some Columbo on 5USA, I got to thinking if this question or similar had ever been posted. I know plenty of Vera / Morse lovers but I have to say I'm a bit of a Columbo nut.

Columbo isn't a "whodunnit", it's a "howcatchem". The joke being, your nan pipes up an hour in with "I think it's the gardener!".

It's not just Spielberg, Spielberg! The list of stars across the whole project is collosal! Leslie Nielsen, Vincent Price and Martin Sheen just in the last episode or two. Quality 🙂

This is taking "just one more thing" to whole new levels.
Just when Dick Van Dyke thought he was off the hook and Columbo was out the door (for 17years), BANG, in he comes with the killer question.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
"Just one more thing..."

DON'T let your defences down when you hear that little line coming out....
I think I read somewhere that the whole "one more thing..." came about when the writers realized they needed a whole new scene close to the end of filming but didn't have the budget for it. So they just gave Peter Falk that line as a way to introduce what would have otherwise required a whole expensive extra scene.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
For me, the big rivalry will always be Murder She Wrote v Diagnosis Murder. Since they alternated on the prestigious 2:40pm-ish slot following Doctors that would be the first thing I saw when I got home from school.
#teammurdershewrote

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Neither are anything on Operation Good Guys

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
I think I read somewhere that the whole "one more thing..." came about when the writers realized they needed a whole new scene close to the end of filming but didn't have the budget for it. So they just gave Peter Falk that line as a way to introduce what would have otherwise required a whole expensive extra scene.

Yeah, pretty much. More laziness than money, allegedly.

the catchphrase "one more thing" was conceived when he and Link were writing the play: "we had a scene that was too short, and we had already had Columbo make his exit. We were too lazy to retype the scene, so we had him come back and say, 'Oh, just one more thing.' It was never planned."[17]

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I skim read the title and genuinely thought this must be a couple of South American teams playing that I hadn’t heard of before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here