Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Di Matteo to have £30m budget

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I'm sure that I heard Pat Murphy on R5 saying that the first team squad had a total of 75 years in outstanding contract payments. At an average of even £1M per year that's £75 million to pay off at (say) £25 million per year. Not much left from the £30mill after that.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Think Villa are going to need a lot more than £30m to sort out their team for this league. Probably going to need to spend at least half of that on 2 strikers.

They've got Gestede so will probably only need to acquire one. Apart from that it will be a case of getting players in with the right attitude, otherwise they could easily go the way of QPR.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Love the fact that they're advertising how much they've got to spend. Great tactic.

Villa are a joke and all the new owner's done so far is prove that he exists.

theboybilly

Villa will be a force next season. Stupid managerial appointments caused so much discontent that they were as good as relegated in December. They have some good players for this division and will recruit well. Benitez will be a success at the Toon too. It's going to be so tough next season but it will be exciting (probably even more so than last season) I just hope Albion get some strong characters in that have been there before. That was where I felt we were a little lacking last year as we didn't have the hard edge of some of the other sides....sometimes we just seemed a bit naïve. Tying down Sidwell was a great move for me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
At Villa a fit motivated Agbonlahor will tear holes in the championship defences.

You keep saying this about Agbonlahore, but he's been neither fit or motivated in the PREMIER LEAGUE for years, so what makes you think he's suddenly going to be "tearing holes" in the Championship ? They guy is a fat, washed-up waster on £50k a week. Have you seen his stats over the last 3 years ?

2013-14, 31 appearances 4 goals
2014-15, 36 appearances 6 goals
2015-16, 18 appearances 1 goal

He's never been a clinical finisher. Now he's pushing 30 and has been on the Big Macs for the last couple of years, so the ONE big asset he had - pace - has deserted him as well (hence the stats you see above). I would not touch Agbonlahore with the most almighty shittiest of sticks, even if he was available for nothing. He is the very epitomy of useless.

Return of the Makh

May 11, 2014
You keep saying this about Agbonlahore, but he's been neither fit or motivated in the PREMIER LEAGUE for years, so what makes you think he's suddenly going to be "tearing holes" in the Championship ? They guy is a fat, washed-up waster on £50k a week. Have you seen his stats over the last 3 years ?

2013-14, 31 appearances 4 goals
2014-15, 36 appearances 6 goals
2015-16, 18 appearances 1 goal

He's never been a clinical finisher. Now he's pushing 30 and has been on the Big Macs for the last couple of years, so the ONE big asset he had - pace - has deserted him as well (hence the stats you see above). I would not touch Agbonlahore with the most almighty shittiest of sticks, even if he was available for nothing. He is the epitamy of useless.

Yep, he's shite nowadays. Gestede however will get them 20 goals with the right service.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yep, he's shite nowadays. Gestede however will get them 20 goals with the right service.

Gestede was very decent at Blackburn I agree, he's a good striker at this level. But the rest of that Villa squad is absolutely woeful, just stuffed to the rafters with hugely mediocre (but expensive) foreign junk that they are now lumbered with for the forseeable. They didn't have an ounce of fight in them to stay in the PL, and they certainly won't be up for a 46 game 2-games-a-week scrap in the Championship. That squad needs a MASSIVE overhaul, but they're still stuck with the miserable bunch of failures who have dragged them down to this division.

They'll be midtable at best IMO.

Return of the Makh

May 11, 2014
Gestede was very decent at Blackburn I agree, he's a good striker at this level. But the rest of that Villa squad is absolutely woeful, just stuffed to the rafters with hugely mediocre (but expensive) foreign junk that they are now lumbered with for the forseeable. They didn't have an ounce of fight in them to stay in the PL, and they certainly won't be up for a 46 game 2-games-a-week scrap in the Championship. That squad needs a MASSIVE overhaul, but they're still stuck with the miserable bunch of failures who have dragged them down to this division.

They'll be midtable at best IMO.

It's too early to say. £50 million (if true) could buy them 7 or 8 top quality Championship players. Along with Gestede, they also have Brad Guzan, Joleen Lescott, Ciaren Clarke and Scott Sinclair who should all be decent at this level and Di Matteo is a decent manager.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So the new owner actually has the cash does he ? ???

( Not the same as passing the fit and proper test ).

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
So the new owner actually has the cash does he ? ???

( Not the same as passing the fit and proper test ).
Nobody knows yet which is why all the speculation is hilarious. As mentioned, even if £50m is their "budget" how will they spend all that on new players when they have the massive contracts of their shite squad to honour?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I predict a Wolves scenario where they fall through the league. The facts are that they have a manager with no experience of the league and a roster of players that are not up to it. Just look through their squad and it is frightening the amount of has beens and never have beens that populate it.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Well it looks like your old boy Tommy Elphick is joining them for £3 million - personal terms being agreed says Pat Murphy on his twitter, so must be pretty kosher.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well it looks like your old boy Tommy Elphick is joining them for £3 million - personal terms being agreed says Pat Murphy on his twitter, so must be pretty kosher.
Do we get a sell-on percentage ?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I predict a Wolves scenario where they fall through the league. The facts are that they have a manager with no experience of the league and a roster of players that are not up to it. Just look through their squad and it is frightening the amount of has beens and never have beens that populate it.

I agree with the squad aspect of what you say. They need to get a lot off the books but in reality i can not see many takers. Di Matteo does have experience in the league mind. Took WBA straight back up in the 10/11 season, although has been out of management for a while now. I expect he will do ok with a decent side but there is a lot of work their to do this summer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here