Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

development squad

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
I see in the argus today they Mr.Poyet is talking about having a development squad under a new coach for the players that leave the scholarship system to help them adapt to life in the first team. Also he says he will only loan out players to clubs that play the way we do. I wonder what your thoughts are. To me this seems a very positive step forward.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Not only a positive step in the future playing sense, but also positive in that Poyet really wants to change a clubs future direction as well. Hopefully he laos wants to see the fruits of his labour........which I very much think he does.

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
It also seems to show that he is here for the long term rather than just to get quick results. It will be interesting to se who this new coach will be. I wonder if we will have another south american overseeing it ?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I wonder if this means Pelling, Cook, Smith and Brinkhurst will get new contracts? I was half expecting all four to go as they haven't really made an impact since getting pro deals last summer.

Possible Development Team (presume they'll effectivly just be the reserve team though??)...

GK: Walker

DR: Cook
DC: Hall
DC: Dunk
DL: James Smith

MR: Brinkhurst
MC: Thomson
MC: Wilkins
MC: Jamie Smith
ML: Caskey

SC: Barker

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
great idea and it will be interesting to see how it is worked through.
I am sure the new coach will be "not an English national" and someone who is currently working as a coach with younger players

I see a "behind closed doors" game against Crawley is planned for Friday and guess it may well decide a few futures as I suspect he wants to see Cook Brinkhurst Pelling and Smith in person

Oct 25, 2003
well he's said that he wants to trim the playing squad down, so i'd imagine that the reserves would generally consist of the youth team/recent graduates anyway?

i like the idea though, he's either amazing at bullshitting or he really does care about the club shit loads

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
positive but potentially restrictive in clubs we can place loanees with.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Personally I like it, looking at it it makes a lot more sense to have a 22 man team with 2 competing for each position, and then instead of having 10 other people behind just picking up their wage to then have right behind them 'feeder' team of young players who will be looking to break into the first team and then behind them a youth system.

I think it's fairly obvious who will go into the feeder, the likes of Caskey, Dunk, Barker, Pelling, Both Smiths, Wilkins, Hider, Redwood, Cook e.t.c.

By question would be what does Poyet plan to do with people like Holroyd who I think everyone has now realised is not up to it, will we just pay him off because I think he would resent training with a bunch of 16 to 18 year olds.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Bit of a strange one, isn't it just a glorified reserve squad/team? Will it limit the reserve games players out of the team can play in.
Sure it is a good idea just don't think the Argus have described it very well or fully

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
So how does this development squad work? Do they play friendlies or play in a league or what?

Apparently looking to play premier league under 19 teams and i swear i read under 19 international sides

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
By question would be what does Poyet plan to do with people like Holroyd who I think everyone has now realised is not up to it, will we just pay him off because I think he would resent training with a bunch of 16 to 18 year olds.

Depends if Poyet agree's with the internet experts doesn't it. In which case I suspect the player will be told to look for another club, whether he's under contract or not.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Surely its a situation to ease youngsters that still have potential to become a good class professional footballer's between the ages of 18 - 21 yrs, but maybe not yet ready to impact on the current first team.

The reserves maybe have a different role to play here including accommodating the more experienced pro's that are not playing regularly for the the first team and an intermediary level for aspiring players from the new development squad.

1st/2nd year pro's have different development needs than their experienced counterparts that may have been brought in from else where.

Seems that it is another development platform for these youngsters and offers a greater opportunity for some to go on and become an asset to the club whereas previously maybe some talented yet unfinished youth prospects may of been released.

It delays the inevitable final decision on a youngsters likely potential from the obligatory 18 yrs to maybe 20/21 yrs, which might offer a far greater accuracy to any youngsters future prospects.

However I would suspect these development positions will still only be offered to those showing good potential at 18yrs and is not just a prolonged scholarship period.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here