Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Development squad contract status update (it's incomplete, but better than nothing)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Collar was injured most of the year, so perhaps given a further opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The club now don't announce the length of contract when a scholar signs his first professional deal, but in the absence of any mention otherwise I think we can assume he received a two-year deal, so has one more year to run.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Hallelujah!

The Argus has finally decided to report which development squad players are being retained/released (and only 4 days after half the information appeared on here). They confirm that Dallison has signed for two years, and Hunt and Ward have signed for a further year. Jesse Starkey has been offered a 12-month deal.

Goalkeepers Josh "head-mental" Smith and Harry Doherty have been released, along with Ragnar "Icelandic wunderkid" Mar Larusson, Robin Deen, Daniel Akindayini and Chike Kandi.

But still no mention of Glen Rea, who appears to have been air-brushed out of existence by the club and local media.

Last time I heard Glen Rae was in talks with Southend.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There is a different dynamic that will impact on each new professional or retained young professional and that is the progression of Simon Rusk within the club, currently being around the first team full time, if no-one else is brought in and he remains first team coach then as always it will play out differently on each player.

For me a few winners will be Hunt, Tilley and Collar they will be given a chance to impress especially, they have been part of Rusks youth and development teams, he likes them and is now in a position to offer the opportunity in the big leap to first team training and involvement and after that who knows !!

So do you think we should sack Rusk and his #2. ?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So do you think we should sack Rusk and his #2. ?

No I am not really, I cannot know his role within the current academy set up, or can be sure of his views on recruitment and the development policies in place, but I have a view that I believe is quite reasonable, Rusk has been moved up, he seems someway from being held responsible for any shortcomings, currently he is more likely to be seen as instrumental in the first teams recent attempt for Premiership football rather than being the coach to a failing development squad, he now is with the first team most days.

Its worth noting though that his progression has been determined primarily by circumstance rather than any tangible success, he still hasnt won a single FA Youth Cup game in three attempts before taking over from a departing Simon Ireland to head the development squad and then taking over from a departing Nathan Jones to be 'first team coach' of the first team after quite a dismal season as the development coach, but beyond those underwhelming facts I cannot know his true worth.

My point was more in response to those quickly condemning those young players recently released, both Kandi and Akindayini were only recruited less than 10 months ago, how can those suddenly be deemed not good enough in such a short period of time after they were recruited, one end of the assessment criteria must be failing, yet in our infinite wisdom we continue to spend £2.4 million per annum on a system that cannot successfully identify, recruit, develop, retain and progress young players, it doesnt seem to offer much value for money to me.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
But still no mention of Glen Rea, who appears to have been air-brushed out of existence by the club and local media.

CH acknowledged his existence at least today

“I think the more important impact in the Championship is that teams will look to promote from within, as we did with Glen Rea last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here