Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Determine the wattage of a dimmer switch

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I would not think there is any worry with overloading the extra 350w will only make a difference of an extra 1.5A maximum. As the switch looks fairly modern i would presume that there are a couple of lighting circuits and plenty of room to add lights etc.

Then again, it ain't your house burning down due to bodged wiring, is it ?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Then again, it ain't your house burning down due to bodged wiring, is it ?

No it ain't, i am just trying to help. The house would not burn down by putting more lights on a circuit, the trip or RCD would cut in, IF the circuit was overloaded, i would think.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I have found you a nice work shirt. Plumbers Crack.

2ccszt5.jpg

I need to buy that shirt for 'Wrong Direction':thumbsup:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Having just searched for lightwave, it looks like it.

250w. Bollocks.

Can it be replaced with a dual 600w of the same physical size?

I would imagine that now you have got the face plate off that the dimmer guts is mounted on a deep double socket box, the problem is that these boxes are normally mounted horizontally but no matter. So as i see it your wall lights would be on one switch needing 250w dimmer, and your 14 central light needs a 600w dimmer.
Have a look at these, i believe they will fit your back box.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=2...-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=yn2SVtKPCon6UP_lkMgH

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
No it ain't, i am just trying to help. The house would not burn down by putting more lights on a circuit, the trip or RCD would cut in, IF the circuit was overloaded, i would think.

How do you know there are RCDs fitted, or that the wiring is up to the extra current ? That's why I advised Bozza to get a qualified sparks in.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
How do you know there are RCDs fitted, or that the wiring is up to the extra current ? That's why I advised Bozza to get a qualified sparks in.

Ok, i don't. I am a qualified sparks, i was just trying to help as he asked for advice.I was assuming that as Bozza has recently moved to his home that the wiring and consumer unit are up to date. If the stock answer was just "Get a qualified sparks in" then i assume that Bozza would not have put a thread up and done just that. Maybe like many on here that put up threads asking for advice, knowing that there is an array of different professions behind the usernames, he felt this was the way to go before going down the road you advised. Bozza can contact me if he needs to.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here