Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Derren Brown - Showman

ChrisLS

Mar 13, 2023
What’s great is that everyone can enjoy it, even if you know how it’s done. He performs with such artistry.

The majority of stuff about his ability to influence is true, but not in the way people think it is. Involuntary hypnotism doesn’t exist. Hypnotism relies on being willing to cooperate; one is fully conscious during the experience, most of the time it lowers inhibitions because people’s desire to believe forces other than their own desire to please and entertain are at hand.

He uses a technique called “instant stooging” frequently. That’s technically influencing people!

Brilliant entertainer and clever man, but everything is a lot more simple in execution than most people realise. It just takes preparation, practice and skill.
Your definition of hypnotism is, to my mind, a bit off. ‘Involuntary hypnotism’ is a contradiction of a sort, people who go up on stage are voluntarily putting themselves forward for hypnosis whilst at the same time being of the suggestible type. Yes, hypnosis requires a co-operation but also how do you explain the non-verbal instructions that someone like Derren incorporates, such as the touching of the participants neck and wrists?
The guy who put the card in the box was not told to put the card in the box. Also, he had no recollection of having done so. Just like the guy who mimicked Derren, he wasn’t instructed to do so.
Your definition of instant stooging also misses the mark, as far as I understand it. Instant stooging requires the participant to simply go along with what the magician claims. A few times, Derren was slightly off, with names for example. Derren isn’t your regular magician, as you know. He’s one of a kind hence the standing that he holds. The mind is far more powerful than we give credit for. Derrens is made more powerful through all the study he has done. The participants unconscious mind is more powerful than he or she understands.

ChrisLS

Mar 13, 2023
What’s great is that everyone can enjoy it, even if you know how it’s done. He performs with such artistry.

The majority of stuff about his ability to influence is true, but not in the way people think it is. Involuntary hypnotism doesn’t exist. Hypnotism relies on being willing to cooperate; one is fully conscious during the experience, most of the time it lowers inhibitions because people’s desire to believe forces other than their own desire to please and entertain are at hand.

He uses a technique called “instant stooging” frequently. That’s technically influencing people!

Brilliant entertainer and clever man, but everything is a lot more simple in execution than most people realise. It just takes preparation, practice and skill.
I ought to add, my words are simply an opinion based on my knowledge of Derren (I’m a big fan but no uber geek having read only Tricks of the Mind), my own logic, beliefs etc. I think I, along with many others, was hypnotised/unconsciously manipulated through the use of words, sounds, lights etc, to draw a blank when the key was placed in the suspended box. This wasn’t done at the interval as the guy in question wasn’t on the stage when the curtain fell. I could be wrong, would love to know how it was done but that’s magic for yer. Cheers, Chris

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I ought to add, my words are simply an opinion based on my knowledge of Derren (I’m a big fan but no uber geek having read only Tricks of the Mind), my own logic, beliefs etc. I think I, along with many others, was hypnotised/unconsciously manipulated through the use of words, sounds, lights etc, to draw a blank when the key was placed in the suspended box. This wasn’t done at the interval as the guy in question wasn’t on the stage when the curtain fell. I could be wrong, would love to know how it was done but that’s magic for yer. Cheers, Chris
Hi mate. Production crew come back out and invite them backstage to meet Derren, get given a signed copy of his latest book. They then walk across the stage as required for the trick to work, while Derren explains how his brain is magical etc.

I think the fact it’s genuinely got people questioning themselves proves what a brilliant artist he is. But it’s simple illusion, it’s not magical mind powers.

He’s the absolute best

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The thing is, 99% of it is very brilliantly dressed up illusion. He isn’t a real magical mind control man, he’s an extremely gifted magician.

The greyhound one for example is boringly simple and it takes away all the magic to know that careful video editing and sleight of hand get amazing results.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I think there’s a good chance it did happen. Throughout the show there were loud bangs and those red flashes of light. Derren has used loud noises before, such as in the greyhound winning ticket one where he banged on the counter. This, along with the chosen words, confuses and distracts. Maybe, like is mentioned here already, video was spliced together but it can’t have been done during interval as the guy who was placing the card in the box wasn’t on stage when the curtain came down on the first half so I’m at a loss when this would’ve been done.
Derren said something about 60/70% of audience would be left wondering what happened ie how did he only say ‘1,2,5’ and the card was in the box? Why would he say that, the 60/70%? Plus, why would he say ‘keep it a secret’? If lots of people know what’s coming then it’s less likely they’ll be hypnotised. Just my thoughts.
I'm sure he said put your hand up if you saw the red lights then very quickly said and him walk over, then said put your hands up if you didn't see him walk over and most people's hands were still up in confusion. So incredible I've just confused myself again writing that..

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Hi mate. Production crew come back out and invite them backstage to meet Derren, get given a signed copy of his latest book. They then walk across the stage as required for the trick to work, while Derren explains how his brain is magical etc.

I think the fact it’s genuinely got people questioning themselves proves what a brilliant artist he is. But it’s simple illusion, it’s not magical mind powers.

He’s the absolute best
Sure they could've gone back stage but he still put the card in the box whilst the women was standing watching?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Sure they could've gone back stage but he still put the card in the box whilst the women was standing watching?
I really don’t want to spoil your fun. I’m just happy you enjoyed it and took whatever you liked most about the evening away with you. I think he’s got a brilliant act.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I went to the 14:30 show. The teddy bear words, laugh, hugs, energy? I caught the frisbee twice in the dress circle but instantly threw it to someone else. Had people around me go on stage and I spoke to them at the interval they were just in a daze..
Different show then. We had complete different words.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I think the fact it’s genuinely got people questioning themselves proves what a brilliant artist he is.
This is an interesting point, yes.

I know it was just a trick, but somehow the scenario that he made us all forget is easier for me to explain than the actual trick :lolol:

It wasn't even the best trick of the night. The numbers on the board and Teddy Bear left my jaw on the floor.

I've been on stage before for his 'Guess Whom' act and you do get a different perspective from that side. Whilst in blew my mind at the time, thinking back i was quite easily able to work out how it was done. Well, at least i think how it's done. The 'magic' happens at the very beginning whilst no one is paying attention, then the rest of it is pure showmanship.

As you say, he is brilliant at it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here