Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Derbyshire v Sussex - LV= Insurance County Championship Div 2

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
When it comes to leather on willow I respect your opinion old boy (as with everything else), so is the there a clear positive way forward with Sussex or were the glory years in effect like the middle distance running era of Coe, Ovett and Cram, it was great whilst it lasted but it’s never coming back?

I think there's been a real change in Sussex cricket over the last 10 years. There's much more of a connection between Sussex CCC and the clubs now, they're keeping a closer eye with what's happening in grassroots cricket. I hope that the days when Crane and Vince sign for Hampshire are gone (I know Muyeye went to Kent but he had strong links there and was only at school in Sussex).

The club scene is very strong in Sussex and is growing, My own club had two adult teams four years ago; it now has three Saturday teams, a Sunday social group of misfits and a women's team. We have teams in every year group up to 16 year olds (and three girls teams too). We've acquired a second pitch (and hire another one for odd games), just bought new astro strip and a new roller. There's little sign of a decline in cricket there.

And Sussex's policy in concentrating on youth will pay dividends in the long run. We have the youngest team in the CC and we're going to a bit of a battering this season but there are some good players there

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think there's been a real change in Sussex cricket over the last 10 years. There's much more of a connection between Sussex CCC and the clubs now, they're keeping a closer eye with what's happening in grassroots cricket. I hope that the days when Crane and Vince sign for Hampshire are gone (I know Muyeye went to Kent but he had strong links there and was only at school in Sussex).

The club scene is very strong in Sussex and is growing, My own club had two adult teams four years ago; it now has three Saturday teams, a Sunday social group of misfits and a women's team. We have teams in every year group up to 16 year olds (and three girls teams too). We've acquired a second pitch (and hire another one for odd games), just bought new astro strip and a new roller. There's little sign of a decline in cricket there.

And Sussex's policy in concentrating on youth will pay dividends in the long run. We have the youngest team in the CC and we're going to a bit of a battering this season but there are some good players there

It’s great what your (and other) local club is doing and what Sussex are trying to do with the youngsters, BUT do we have enough time and are any decent players that we produce going to be tempted by the lure of cash in the white ball game ? I think so.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Except we are completely shit and likely to stay so for the foreseeable.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There's some brainless batting going on out there today. What the hell are they doing? Do they think it's a T20 or something?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Shocking stuff. It's a peach of a wicket out there for batters. This is just dire, no excuses. All out by end of play no question.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Shocking stuff. It's a peach of a wicket out there for batters. This is just dire, no excuses. All out by end of play no question.

All 20 Sussex wickets gone by tea tomorrow

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I've actually got a Derby supporting friend there, can't believe how bad we are.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Coles and Finn both gone. 9 overs left today with 2 wickets remaining.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
How can so many of them give their wickets away? Experienced players . On a flat track . Against a bang average attack.
By any standards, this isn’t good enough.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
How can so many of them give their wickets away? Experienced players . On a flat track . Against a bang average attack.
Just shows if it were needed what depths have been plumbed over the past 5 years or so.

This current performance is outrageously bad.

Maybe the second innings at Derby will always be remembered as when the long fightback got started....

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Just shows if it were needed what depths have been plumbed over the past 5 years or so.

This current performance is outrageously bad.

Maybe the second innings at Derby will always be remembered as when the long fightback got started....

It is outrageously bad isn’t it.
I’ve had sympathy for Salisbury as he seems like a genuine man who is doing his best in impossible circumstances.
I now wonder if he’s more a part of the problem than I thought. Maybe they don’t listen to him?
Too often we are worse than the sum of our parts, which is quite something given some of the teams we have put out.
This time we have two top international players in our middle order. Rubbish.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
All out, final over of the day, plum LBW to a part-time left arm spinner the commentators were openly mocking for his "gentle spin - if you can call it that". I mean, I know it's a #11 but it just sums us up.

Shockingly bad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Experienced? Two teenagers, two 20 year olds and a 21 year old - not all that experienced then.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Experienced? Two teenagers, two 20 year olds and a 21 year old - not all that exerienced then.

I was referring to the obvious two .

Also Alsop -Quite experienced . three horrible dismissals .

Tom Clark isnt experienced but even so , what was that ?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
The truth is that we do not have a County Championship standard 4 day team. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous. The members who paid full whack should be refunded as they were mis sold. Those running Sussex cricket should hang their heads in shame. They are an absolute disgrace.

They removed wicketkeeper/batsman Ben Brown from the captaincy. His record was very good and he is now starring for Hampshire. What has that actually achieved please? . I would really like to know.
I hate to say it but Sussex are totally useless and do not deserve to be in the County Championship. It is as simple as that. An abysmal county team that has been abysmally managed.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The truth is that we do not have a County Championship standard 4 day team. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous. The members who paid full whack should be refunded as they were mis sold. Those running Sussex cricket should hang their heads in shame. They are an absolute disgrace.

They removed wicketkeeper/batsman Ben Brown from the captaincy. His record was very good and he is now starring for Hampshire. What has that actually achieved please? . I would really like to know.
I hate to say it but Sussex are totally useless and do not deserve to be in the County Championship. It is as simple as that. An abysmal county team that has been abysmally managed.

We aren't THAT good.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That's a bit harsh on Sussex. They really, really didn't want Brown to go. The removal of the captaincy was a way of relieving the pressure on him - being a top-order batter, a keeper and a captain is a big ask and it looked to be a good decision as he made a heap of runs after the captaincy was taken off him. It was a big shock when he left: I was speaking to a member of the Sussex staff in the autumn and he said Brown was Sussex through and through and wouldn't leave.

To suggest that Sussex forced him out is a reversal of the truth.

They didn't want Salt or Jordan to leave either but the sad truth is that other counties have got deeper pockets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here