Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby's academy give category 1 status

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm sure our announcement is due any minute in this - source was the meeting with the academy head bloke / Simon Ireland & David Burke at the SOB meeting I think.

Wow I must be telepathic!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I just cannot see any auditor walking into the new training centre without acknowledging that it will be awarded cat 1, even if mistakes are made in the audit the centre offers an insight into the resources accessible to quickly correct something.

It seems unimaginable that it wont get the cat 1, although I havent heard whether they even applied for it this year, although I have heard thats the goal.

Sorry buddy. But not as simple as that.

Just because its new doesnt mean its the best far from it.

Much better than we are now as our set up was close to bottom of league 1 and league 2. Peter taylor quit all those years ago because what we had was shit. So one step at a time.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sorry buddy. But not as simple as that.

Just because its new doesnt mean its the best far from it.

Much better than we are now as our set up was close to bottom of league 1 and league 2. Peter taylor quit all those years ago because what we had was shit. So one step at a time.

Well the major step is today but it will def take a fair few years to kick in & see the difference. I think the club are fully expecting to get some trouncings from the big boys fwiw...

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
That type of expenditure doesn't count against FFP though does it? So perhaps TB is more than happy to dig deep to fund infrastructure that should pay for itself long term, rather than pour more money directly into the pockets of players. It's not as if defenders are impossible to find, good as Ward was last season.
Are you sure? Agree about the build cost but is the running of the facility excluded from ffp too?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Are you sure? Agree about the build cost but is the running of the facility excluded from ffp too?

I'm sure it is. I seem to recall Portsmouth shoving players into their DS a couple of years ago to avoid the attentions of the administrator (not that they are dirty cheati g scum at all???)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
No, not certain and haven't had a chance to look it up... Hence the question mark. But I'd be surprised if running costs count within FFP given that the whole point is to make clubs sustainable and youth investment would be a huge part of that.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Taken from the explanation of Financial Fair Play on the Football League website:-

The Fair Play Result is based on the club's profit or loss before tax with the exception of:

• Investment in Youth Development (as defined in the Elite Player Performance Plan)

That, to me, suggests that the on-going annual cost of youth development may be excluded for the purposes of FFP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here