Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
It is a cup competition now and Oscar seems to do well in Cups.

We are the underdog the last time this happened was 1990/1 we beat Millwall 4-1 at home and 2-1 away I hope in this respect history repeats itself again :) However I would like history to Foxtrot Oscar for the final :)

Didn't we lose to the 'Wall home and away that season? We certainly got hammered at their place. That's a good sign.

Mints

Banned
May 24, 2011
Two statements that make me think you misunderstand Derby.

Wisdom attacking wise is poor for a RB. Defensively, he's outstanding and obviously a CB judging by his immovable strength, hut his overlapping runs aren't anything special. Forsyth on the other hand has developed into an excellent overlapping LB who's torn some teams apart (Watford the other week for example); he's the one you should be worrying you. Wisdom can and will limit most left wingers (Lloyd Dyer being the exception, who's pace just did him despite him the fact he'd neutralized Hoilett previously)

Also, we have a passing team. You need only look at our stats (whoscored.com) to see that we've got quality on the ball.

Brighton Style
Possession football
Short passes
Attempt through balls often
Play with width
Playing in their own half
Opponents play aggressively against them

Derby Style
Possession football
Control the game in the opposition's half
Attacking down the left
Short passes
Consistent first eleven

We're very close in style and have collection of skilful players; Hughes, Lingard, Buckley, Ward, Lua-Lua and Dawkins.

Just smash the w@nkers.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I don't mind Derby seeing themselves as favourites, there is no harm in us being underdogs.

Derby may have done the double over us but like others have said the home game wasn't as clear cut thanks to the Ref missing a nailed on penalty to us.

Plus at Derby we had a depleted team with poor attacking options, whereas we now have closer to a full squad available. At that time Derby had been scoring for fun but we contained them except for the lapse that allowed Bamford his (well taken) chance. The other thing that disappointed me at Derby was how once they scored they parked the bus and indulged in some really blatant time wasting, including by the ball boys, which another weak Ref indulged them in. So I fully agree that a strong Ref is required.

IMHO we aren't the really strong contenders we were a year ago when we were in rampant form and far more clinical about our work. Whereas we have made much harder work of getting into the play offs this time around. Should still be a couple of decent games.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A lot of fans perhaps over confident on our forum, I'm personally not too sure; especially after what happened last year. It's a case of you now being underdogs, where I thought people would have backed Reading over us. The fact that people would rather play us than QPR or Wigan says a lot about people's view of us, people don't REALLY believe we're good because we weren't tipped at the start of the season. It's like they're expecting us top become crap again any game soon. Luckilly, we really don't have arorgance in our squad, they're an honest bunch with no big-time charlies about. Don't expect us to take you lightly.

Our form's been good recently and it's clicked once more. When we played you at our place it was when the wind had really been taken out of our sails by 3 losses on the bounce after Wigan, Chelsea and Leicester. It was a pretty spawny win, but be warned we're a completely different animal when firing on all cylinders.

I can't predict what the result will be at your place but I think we'll win at PP.

Personality I wanted us to play Derby, because whilst they are a very good side and deserve to be where they are, they are still a young side. We could get blitzed over two legs, but we might also see a few inexperienced players freeze.

I hope it is our year, but not a big deal for me if it doesn't work out. The fall back option is anyone but QPR.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Seems to me that too many of you are harping on about how Derby did the double over us. In my mind this is totally irrelevant regarding these next two games. It's all about character and who takes their opportunities in front of goal. Previous meetings won't have any bearing this time.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We generally seize up something rotten for big games and i don't expect this week to be any great improvement.

Then again I didn't think we would beat Forest, so what do I know.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Derby have been safely in the playoff spots for ages...just like us last season...we have limped in at the death after some indifferent showings of late...just like Palace last term..

Think on these things brethren. It is our time.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Nobody is that good in this division, even run away winners Leicester. Its 50/50.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'd read very very little into the first Derby game. It was 2nd game of the season and we had a ridiculously weak team out that day as our Summer meant we were weeks behind where we should have been. Maximenko left back I recall!?

Derby have been terrific this season & if u beat us I really hope u win at Wembley. I think u prob will beat us but we don't lose that many so who knows. We re not good enough to go up so I see no pressure at all here!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Could go either way. Strangely if we get through I think it could be via a home draw and a narrow win at their place.
Still, this is all a bonus this season: bring it on :banana:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I thought our game at Pride Park was one of the most boring games of the season, with just one bit of quality from your goalscorer.

Both teams play in a similar way and then and likely now we cancelled each other out.

I really like the fact we are underdogs. I also really like the fact we are playing at home first. I fully expect this to be very tight. 0-0, 1-0 either way or 1-1.

We will then approach the second leg as we have done virtually every other away match by hanging on in the first half and then trying to win it in the last 30 minutes. This has worked very well for us, and with your crowd getting frustrated I think it could play into our hands.

But we are still MASSIVE underdogs. :)

i'd settle for a tight first leg and a draw...then its just a one off match when anything can happen...they r a gd well organised side ..Martin has a knack of scoring ...Ward a tricky winner and they score a fair few..i don't judge our chances on what Palace did last year...just because 6th place did well last time doesn't mean it will this time..i just hope we are still in the mix for the 2nd leg

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I think the only stats that matter are that we are the underdogs for finishing 13 points behind Derby but we have experience at the play offs. That makes us dangerous as we have nothing to lose! My only wish is that we are not negative like Gus last season which cost us and instead we seize the moment & go for it.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I'd read very very little into the first Derby game. It was 2nd game of the season and we had a ridiculously weak team out that day as our Summer meant we were weeks behind where we should have been. Maximenko left back I recall!?

Derby have been terrific this season & if u beat us I really hope u win at Wembley. I think u prob will beat us but we don't lose that many so who knows. We re not good enough to go up so I see no pressure at all here!

Palace weren't good enough to go up mate. They did. We didn't. Form counts for **** all.

Brighton to win this over two legs with most of our first choice players fit or fit ENOUGH for two cagey cup finals.

If we do get to the final...we know we CAN beat the other two.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Palace weren't good enough to go up mate. They did. We didn't. Form counts for **** all.

Brighton to win this over two legs with most of our first choice players fit or fit ENOUGH for two cagey cup finals.

If we do get to the final...we know we CAN beat the other two.

Oh yeh I agree it's possible & our team now, although not quite as good as last year, are still better than the palace team that limped up somehow last year. But there's 4 teams in it of course. I see no pressure in us and like that much more than last years...

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Coming back from the pub and reading this thread I can't escape the conclusion it's one of the most boring I have ever read. Whatever will be will be and no ones has a clue.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Coming back from the pub and reading this thread I can't escape the conclusion it's one of the most boring I have ever read. Whatever will be will be and no ones has a clue.

You could say this about every day of your life ......

But a bit of Mystic Meg, guessing, banter, etc is what this thread is mostly all about.

What WOULD be boring is two nil-nils.

FriendlyRam

May 4, 2014
Hi chaps, Derby fan here.

Just thought I'd congratulate you on beating Adkins to that final spot. I think that smile might be painted on though?

Whatever happens between us I do hope the winner is the side that goes up. Can't be doing with 'Houdini' and his mercenaries. His "we've lost 18 players in the summer..." etc etc. He's got about a million excuses (one being the number of fans that QPR get!!) as to why his insanely overpowered super squad are below little old Burnley and mid table Derby. Maybe if he loses this then the media might drop out his bum for 5 minutes.
Wigan, loved them under Martinez but when we played them they were thuggish. Still don't mind them but that alone puts them below Brighton in preference.
You play possession football, you're not a dirty side, you're not a bunch of celebrities on stupid wages. I hate Brighton a lot less than most teams. So if you beat us then I'll be rooting for you.

Have to say I'm glad we got Brighton. Wigan are capable of good attacking football and we know they can get dirty. QPR I wouldn't have minded but Austin is a handful and I can picture them grabbing a goal and being very tough to break down.
Your style will suit us. However we know that there's very little that needs to change to make a top Championship side a struggling Championship side. The league is that tight so it won't be easy at all.

QPR aren't all that imo. How many teams in this league play percentage football? The players in that QPR side will eat that up all day long. If putting the ball into channels and hitting diagonal balls was beating that QPR team then Houdini wants shooting not sacking. Knocking the ball into key areas and trying to squeeze them against THAT defence and experienced pros like Barton? No wonder they've finished so high with clean sheets. I think they will struggle against either of us. But we want an opponent that isn't so physical and offers a less threat than Austin.

Although Ulloa is the exact sort of striker we'll hate. We found Ishmael Miller's strength and pace a problem. I'm sure Ulloa's strength and ability will cause issues.

Going to be a good quality game. We beat you in the season marathon but this is a head to head in a big occasion.

Think the ultimate winners will be QPR as I am sure they have the experience which will see them through at Wembley especially with Remy back up front. Hope that we are their opponents at Wembley I see no reason why we shouldnt be.

Remy played and scored for Newcastle on Saturday and is on loan to them till the end of the season, so let's hope he gets a slight injury that means he'll be unavailable for QPR if they should get to Wembley.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Two statements that make me think you misunderstand Derby.

Wisdom attacking wise is poor for a RB. Defensively, he's outstanding and obviously a CB judging by his immovable strength, hut his overlapping runs aren't anything special. Forsyth on the other hand has developed into an excellent overlapping LB who's torn some teams apart (Watford the other week for example); he's the one you should be worrying you. Wisdom can and will limit most left wingers (Lloyd Dyer being the exception, who's pace just did him despite him the fact he'd neutralized Hoilett previously)

Also, we have a passing team. You need only look at our stats (whoscored.com) to see that we've got quality on the ball.

Brighton Style
Possession football
Short passes
Attempt through balls often
Play with width
Playing in their own half

Derby Style
Possession football
Control the game in the opposition's half
Attacking down the left
Short passes
Consistent first eleven

We're very close in style and have collection of skilful players; Hughes, Lingard, Buckley, Ward, Lua-Lua and Dawkins.

Fair enough reply. I can only recall the last three games and two of them and Clough was Manager.

The last two games and we had so many players missing for both of them and they will be back at least for the second leg of the play-offs.

Away match and it was Ward's persistence and a shot from Bamford in a nothing happening game. We had a first choice back four and only Ulloa up front, so our variety of attack was abysmal.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25692319

We love teams that push their left side (especially full-backs) forward like Leicester. McClaren will know that but Derby will have to play that way anyway because it worked. It does rather depend if Bruno (right back) is fit in time for the home match though.

Home game was just a shambles and team selection was all over the place with reserves
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23558484
We still thought we could get away with it because of Derby's poor showing at the Amex the game before. 2-1. But Derby were very resilient that game so we did not expect a hatful.

Anyrate, an altogether different Albion side this time around. Except Crofts is injured and Dale Stephens is a different sort of player and I have not seen enough of him to know what to expect, except we do not have anybody to pass accurately from midfield wide or to the front players.

But why I think we will win this narrowly as our players are a shade faster than the Derby equivalents. Quicker at trapping, controlling the ball, faster as athletes. That is even some of our slower players. I would have though Oscar Garcia might get a settled team, the right one, for the first time this season, without any more bad luck.

On the down side, we play too much % football under Oscar. Criticism of Albion by me is we are too much England style under Capello. Not as exciting as the players could be. Go for % attacks without enough quality balls. All Championship fans tend to say the same thing though. That is the second tier of English football. Competent defenders and no flair in attack. Always has been.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here